cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does PM plan to offer competitive to Bell texting plans?

yiatioxi-ok
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have set up and trying out my PM $10 plan in addition to also retaining my Bell pre paid plan. Very pleased with PM reception, add ons that roll over, and option to top up only what funds are required. However the draw backs with PM plans are no add on option for texting and also $25 is the least expensive plan that provides unlimited texting.  My Bell plan also has limitations however the  $15 Bell plan provides unlimited picture and video texting and limited to 200 minutes voice calls. Do the powers above have plans to add a texting add on or offer a competitive to Bell texting plan???

29 REPLIES 29

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@yiatioxi-ok wrote:

Thanks for info but at this tie can't justify paying ove $1000 for a new iPhone 

@yiatioxi-ok trust me, I wasn't suggesting that you should!  It's actually well over $1000: the cheapest version (base configuration XR) is $1,100 Canadian, while th emost expensive (the 512GB XS Max) costs $2000!!!  TWO GRAND.  Insane.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

yiatioxi-ok

Thank you .... but I'll just stick with regular cell service - as far as data there is free data/wifi  almost everywhere - I spend money each day at Tim Hortons so I may as well use their free WIFI. 

Canadian calling rates from VoIP.ms are pretty cheap.  See the link.

if you get a lot of incoming calls, pay $4.25 per month, no fee for each incoming call.  Outgoing calls as low as $0,005/minute.  Other services available, increased costs for each line you may get.

VoIP uses very little data.  Even the premium call quality at $0.009 /minute is tiny.

Put this on the data only options, could be a really inexpensive setup.

yiatioxi-ok

@stonechucker wrote:

@will13am. forget the dual sim... data only plan with a really good VoIP service offering the entire catalog of voice systems!

Or the StarTrek communicator.

Looked into this VoIP service but it seems the least expensive service is $29/month which does not make sense to me - are there other less expensive VoIP services?

yiatioxi-ok

Thanks for info but at this tie can't justify paying ove $1000 for a new iPhone 

srlawren

@yiatioxi-ok wrote:

@MoreYummy wrote:

maybe the OP wants two numbers.  So two providers make sense.   Just a wild guess. Smiley Happy

Too bad iPhones don't come with Dual SIM options. One work and another for  personal.

@yiatioxi-ok the 3 2018 iPhones (XS, XS Max, and XR) do....sort of.  They come with a single SIM slot but also feature an eSIM.  The eSIM can't be used wtih Public Mobile.  I'm not sure about Bell.  If it worked with Bell you could use the eSIM with Bell and the SIM slot with PM.  Just at thought.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

yiatioxi-ok

@MoreYummy wrote:

maybe the OP wants two numbers.  So two providers make sense.   Just a wild guess. Smiley Happy

Too bad iPhones don't come with Dual SIM options. One work and another for  personal.

yiatioxi-ok

No one is bashing anyone - In this case both cell service providers (PM & Bell) have advantages and for my needs I do believe that PM has mostly the upper hand. With regards to the almost insignificant $2/ month saving the amount has nothing to do with it. Many fall for the sales tactic of only a few $$/month. For example "only an extra $25/month" or more  for that extra feature such as additional cable stations or what have you. So what's only $25/month -- well over just 12 month 12X25= $300 -- that puts the feature in a diferent perspective.

I played with VoIP.ms for a bit.  Calls were great quality, at the time I couldn’t make use of the SMS interface as my vision impairment did not see the fonts easily enough.  Only reason I haven’t c9ntinued to use it.

Thanks for asking @MoreYummy

@stonechucker Where do you find a good voip, i have tested some, none are good under cell data.

@stonechucker wrote:

@will13am. forget the dual sim... data only plan with a really good VoIP service offering the entire catalog of voice systems!

Frankly, this discussion was really a non starter.  If a competitor has exactly what I want/need, why do I bother bashing another competitor for not having an equivalent offering.  It is their loss for not being competitive.  That said, no one carrier brand is the perfect solution for everyone.  This is why I say we are talking about trying to make a solution for Public Mobile while there is no problem to solve.  Never mind the communicator, if I was so hard up to save $2 on a cell plan, I would wash out a few soup cans and get some string. 

@srlawren wrote:

@yiatioxi-ok wrote:

Bell $15 + PM $8= $23/month with the best of both worlds

@yiatioxi-ok I guess.  But for $2 more you could just go on the $25 plan at PM and have only one phone number, and unlimited province-wide talk, unlimtied texting, access to US romaing add-ons (which do expire), and access to domestic add-ons (which don't).  For an extra $25/year I think this is the better world.

+1,000,000.  We are talking about a solution waiting for a problem.  Where is the discussion on the dual SIM phone?

srlawren

@yiatioxi-ok wrote:

@yiatioxi-ok I guess.  But for $2 more you could just go on the $25 plan at PM and have only one phone number, and unlimited province-wide talk, unlimtied texting, access to US romaing add-ons (which do expire), and access to domestic add-ons (which don't).  For an extra $25/year I think this is the better world.

yiatioxi-ok

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@katiatall wrote:

Keep both plans.

@yiatioxi-ok wrote:

@MoreYummy wrote:

Why change to public mobile, your bell plan is good enough.  unless you want to talk alot or just save a few bucks per month?

As explained in my post - PM has several benefits the main one being the option to add on Data that rolls over until used up and also the ease to add on US roaming. Bell's add ons do not roll over that can make it expensive if data is occasionally required. Also the voice minutes are only local and LD minutes on my plan are an additional  0.50 cents/minute. So it seems that a bravo is in order to  PM marketing because one would have to pay $120 extra /year (that buys a lot of coffee) to enjouy PM benefits pluss texting.  LOL that's life - 

Not sure how keeping both plans is the solution the OP marked.  If that is the case you are doing $25 so why not get the $25 plan her for unlimited texting and calling and still have access to the data add-ons and the us roaming add-ons

Yes you make good sense. Sometimes we tend to use an elephant gun to killa mouse LOL😎

I'm going with @ShawnC13 on this one, the $25 becomes $23 on Autopay, and the calling is all included, including forwarding minutes, voicemail reception on your device, and the unlimited texting.

If the Bell add-ons don't suit you, leave Bell, and use PM.

@yiatioxi-ok wrote:

Makes sense. Bell $15 + PM $8= $23/month with the best of both worlds . 

@katiatall wrote:

Keep both plans.

@yiatioxi-ok wrote:

@MoreYummy wrote:

Why change to public mobile, your bell plan is good enough.  unless you want to talk alot or just save a few bucks per month?

As explained in my post - PM has several benefits the main one being the option to add on Data that rolls over until used up and also the ease to add on US roaming. Bell's add ons do not roll over that can make it expensive if data is occasionally required. Also the voice minutes are only local and LD minutes on my plan are an additional  0.50 cents/minute. So it seems that a bravo is in order to  PM marketing because one would have to pay $120 extra /year (that buys a lot of coffee) to enjouy PM benefits pluss texting.  LOL that's life - 

Doesn't make sense 2 different phone numbers unless that is what you are going for. PM $25-2 (auto-pay)=$23

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

yiatioxi-ok

Perhaps a data only package that you reserve for talk and text, and MMS only would be an option for you.

A couple years ago I was seriously looking at the then 90-day plan for $90, which gave 1 GB of LTE data for the entire cycle.  I was going to setup a VoIP.ms account for calling and texting (maybe not MMS), and have that as my daily driver.

At the time, the texting wasn't available, but I got a number that was able to get text messages by email.  Only issue, had to also respond via email.  There's now an app to replace that, and SMS is fully working on phone numbers that support it.

I'm not sure on pricing now, but it's still fairly cheap to make calls across Canada on their per minute basis with the provider, and the texting wasn't very expensive either.

The nice thing about having this type of setup, if you have a smartphone, you can use it on WiFi without too much hassle.

EDIT to add: Other benefit, when roaming with an unlocked phone, always use a local SIM... it's cheaper!

yiatioxi-ok

Makes sense. Bell $15 + PM $8= $23/month with the best of both worlds . 

@katiatall wrote:

Keep both plans.

@yiatioxi-ok wrote:

@MoreYummy wrote:

@katiatall wrote:

Keep both plans.

@yiatioxi-ok wrote:

@MoreYummy wrote:

Not sure how keeping both plans is the solution the OP marked.  If that is the case you are doing $25 so why not get the $25 plan her for unlimited texting and calling and still have access to the data add-ons and the us roaming add-ons

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

katiatall

Keep both plans.

@yiatioxi-ok wrote:

@MoreYummy wrote:

yiatioxi-ok

In my case it seems I get better reception with PM/Telus - didn't know they use the same towers so it seems my phone prefers PM. LOL.

@mimmo wrote:

@yiatioxi-okNo one on the forums knows what new plans might be coming or leaving.

Each provider has is advantages and disadvantages.  pick the plan/provider that best suits your needs.  

PM and Bell use the smae network so the reception should be the same

yiatioxi-ok

@MoreYummy wrote:

mimmo

@yiatioxi-okNo one on the forums knows what new plans might be coming or leaving.

Each provider has is advantages and disadvantages.  pick the plan/provider that best suits your needs.  

PM and Bell use the smae network so the reception should be the same

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

yiatioxi-ok

BUT - Do the powers above have plans to add a texting add on or offer a competitive to Bell texting plan???

popping

@yiatioxi-ok wrote:

I have set up and trying out my PM $10 plan in addition to also retaining my Bell pre paid plan. Very pleased with PM reception, add ons that roll over, and option to top up only what funds are required. However the draw backs with PM plans are no add on option for texting and also $25 is the least expensive plan that provides unlimited texting.  My Bell plan also has limitations however the  $15 Bell plan provides unlimited picture and video texting and limited to 200 minutes voice calls. Do the powers above have plans to add a texting add on or offer a competitive to Bell texting plan???

Unfortunately, PM does not offer text add-on.  Otherwise, the $10 plan + minutes add-on + text add-on will be a great plan for those do not need unlimited minutes/texts.

Need Help? Let's chat.