cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does PM has any kind of Apps like the Lucky Wi-Fi Talk & Text App which supports free Wi-Fi Calling?

zfx
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Here is the description on Lucky Mobile's website: 

The Lucky Wi-Fi Talk & Text app lets you make and receive calls and send and receive texts over a Wi-Fi network in areas where you don’t have mobile network coverage. You get a dedicated Wi-Fi calling phone number for exclusive use with the app.

There is no additional cost for using the Lucky Wi-Fi Talk & Text app. Your Wi-Fi Calling usage is unlimited for calls and texts to and from Canadian and U.S. phone numbers. Calls and text messages within the app will not be applied against your account balance.

16 REPLIES 16

zfx

I've been using Hangouts all the time but it shows private number on the display. This can be annoying sometimes if I try to call someone they never answer the phone thought it was spam or something...

zfx

Ya, I just tried Fongo it was lighter and cleaner than TextNow. Though no free text messages.

The ad remover costs $7 now...

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am wrote:

Sorry I should clarify.  I have a google voice number (always an American number) which means that is the number which shows up in call display.  For those that don't have a google voice number, I believe you can get hangouts to display the Canadian number when making a call.  When I speak of integration, it is really around google voice which is another app that integrates will the dialer.  It's complicated.

Ok that's exactly how I'm set up as well. I thought I might be missing something on integrating my Canadian number. Thanks for clarifying  

GC 

@sunflowershine wrote:

@zfx Actually you can download TextNow or Fongo that are free to call and text within North America. You have unique phone number too. You can call any landline except Fongo have certain areas not covered. I have used these two apps for more than three years. They saved me a lot of money!

@sunflowershineFongo is awesome. I did the one time, life time ad-free payment when they first came out. I think it was $1.95? For lifetime free ads

@GreatCanadian wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@ruif71 wrote:

Not yet, but a mobile app is normal standard for any Mobile company.

Wont be surprised if we see one in the future.

... I will stick to hangouts/hangouts dialer which integrates with my cell number.  

Hey @will13am , do you mean that you are using your CANADIAN number with hangouts?

GC

Sorry I should clarify.  I have a google voice number (always an American number) which means that is the number which shows up in call display.  For those that don't have a google voice number, I believe you can get hangouts to display the Canadian number when making a call.  When I speak of integration, it is really around google voice which is another app that integrates will the dialer.  It's complicated.

GreatCanadian

@stonechucker wrote:

@zfx, I've used both, and although the texting is free in textnow, the number of fake SMS messages the call ads are annoying in the free version.

I'd rather pay the small fee for monthly or multiple months of texting on the Fongo app.

I agree with @stonechucker on this. I do certainly like TextNow, but there are definitely too many ads.

GC

@zfx, I've used both, and although the texting is free in textnow, the number of fake SMS messages the call ads are annoying in the free version.

I'd rather pay the small fee for monthly or multiple months of texting on the Fongo app.

GreatCanadian

@will13am wrote:

@ruif71 wrote:

... I will stick to hangouts/hangouts dialer which integrates with my cell number.  

Hey @will13am , do you mean that you are using your CANADIAN number with hangouts?

GC

uma1016
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I personally think text now would give a better experience because it is more intuitive than the other internet phone apps

@zfx wrote:

Can you tell me which one is better? TextNow or fongo?

It depends what you want..try them both and choose...Smiley Wink

zfx

Can you tell me which one is better? TextNow or fongo?

sunflowershine

@zfx Actually you can download TextNow or Fongo that are free to call and text within North America. You have unique phone number too. You can call any landline except Fongo have certain areas not covered. I have used these two apps for more than three years. They saved me a lot of money!

@ruif71 wrote:

I would be totally surprised if Public Mobile came out with a WiFi calling app.  The one Lucky put out is not WiFi calling as as we know it.  Normally when a carrier supports WiFi calling, it is done with your cell number.  Lucky provides an app that uses a different phone number than your cell number.  Pretty much all they have done is provided a redundant option to the various calling apps already available.  Pretty worthless if you ask me.  I will stick to hangouts/hangouts dialer which integrates with my cell number.  

@ruif71 wrote:

Don't hold your breath, though. It has been suggested many many times while we still had the lab, but it hasn't happened. Also, Koodo, Public Mobile's sister brand, has pulled the plug on their app, so that's an even bigger indicator that it's not likely to happen here.

As for the Lucky WiFi app: while I have not tried it (Public Mobile fits my needs, no need to sign up with a Bell brand...), but why not use one of the many established VOIP apps? From all I have read that is essentially what the Lucky app is.

ruif71
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
@zfx No, but you can use apps like What's app or Viber
Need Help? Let's chat.