cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jpar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Does MMS use chargeable data?

I'm aware that MMS requires a data connection & uploads the photo(s) over the cellular network, but does Public Mobile zero rate MMS as other carriers do, or is it chargeable? I am a new PM customer and I've noticed a small amount of data usage (nothing to write home about) that is higher than what my phone reports if I exclude the text app, and when I don't have any other apps using background data or the like (I'm on wifi). I have sent and received some MMS messages though, would these be the culprit?

Accepted Solutions
srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Re: Does MMS use chargeable data?

@zhadj030 please note that your reply is completely incorrect.  Could you please edit your response and strike out the text or otherwise remove it?  I don't want it to cause confusion for others in the future.  MMS does not draw from your plan or add-on data amounts.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

View solution in original post

All Replies
zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

The MMS does indeed use the data from your plane and it dpends a lot whether you use them often or not, usely pictures are compressed to smaller size before being send, so it shouldn't reall matter a lot unless you have only a small amount of data . So yes the data used will come from your plan.

Edit : 

Seems like I was wrong I'd doesn't affect your data since it seems to be included in the texting package 

DragonSpecV
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hey @jpar, welcome to PM!

To my understanding, no matter which carrier you use now, if you have a text messaging plan, it includes both SMS & MMS messages through that portion of the plan.  But as you mentioned, yes, you need your "data" on in order to transmit MMS.

I just did a test using Textra sending a about 4 x 2.5MB pictures via MMS, with my WiFi on, and I did NOT see any changes in my data usage total, and the Textra app data usage didn't change.

Hope that helps you out!

- DragonSpecV

jpar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thanks for the replies.
Luddite
Oracle

MMS data is NOT charged to your data plan. Even if you have a texting only plan, MMS is included.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@zhadj030 please note that your reply is completely incorrect.  Could you please edit your response and strike out the text or otherwise remove it?  I don't want it to cause confusion for others in the future.  MMS does not draw from your plan or add-on data amounts.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

View solution in original post

luckee7
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Mine did. Both incoming and outgoing.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@luckee7

That is impossible.  MMS is zero-rated at Public Mobile.  That means, you don't need a data package to use it, data simply just nees to be turned on.

luckee7
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Then why this.

data.jpgdata2.PNG

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Well, you have me stumped.  I do not know why you are seeing this.

I would suggest you reachout via Private Message to the Moderator_Team account, to ask why this is happening.

Are you using the default texting/mms app on your device?

Need Help? Let's chat.