cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does MMS texting count against data allotment?

Scotty2
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi - I just signed my daughter up for the $25 plan, which includes 500 mb + 500 mb (prepaid plan), unlimited Canada calling and unlimited international texting.  She starting using her phone yesterday and I checked online to see that she has already used almost 500 mb of data in less than 12 hours.  She was on wifi, so I looked a bit further online.  I say that the had MMS texts that seem to have used data that counts against her allotment.  Should this be the case?  Do MMS texts count against the allotment of data?  Thanks for the help on this one.

33 REPLIES 33

Scotty2
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@stonechucker , thanks for the info.  It is an iPhone.  So if it doesn't count towards the allotment, then why would it show that she used close to 500 mb and the only data events listed are MMS texts?  Thanks again.

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

From what I have read and seen tested, you require data/wifi to sent the MMS, however, it should not use data. Tests were done and 4 MMS's were sent, each 2.5MB, and no data was used.

Hope this helps.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@Scotty2, MMS uses data, but not from the data-bucket.

If your daughter's phone is an iPhone, the data is data, and not MMS specifically.

On WiFi, it should use the WiFi data.  There is a setting on iPhones to use 'WiFi assist' which is wrongly named, should be Cellular assist, as it will use cellular data on a weak WiFi signal.   Ensure this is off.  Androids also have a similar feature which is a name in a similar fashion.

Need Help? Let's chat.