cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to contact my LD carrier now that I've ported my number?

mobileguy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi Everyone,

Hopefully, I didn't ask this already.  I was previously with Bell on a landline number.  My long distance was with an independent carrier because they offered a much lower cost per minute for long distance calls.  So whenever I made a long distance call from my Bell landline, I would get an invoice from my LD independent carrier for my charges.

When I joined Public Mobile, I ported my Bell landline over and now my number is with PM.  I have the $15 monthly plan.

My question is, when I make a long distance call now, is it still going through my independent carrier or is the call just going to be deducted from my 100 minutes.  All my long distance calls are always in Canada.

And if it's the latter, do I still need to call my independent carrier to cancel my account?

Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13

@mobileguy wrote:

@computergeek541, I was alwasy dialing my LD numbers regularly without having to dial an access number first.  My long distance charges never appeared on my Bell bill.  I always got a separate invoice from this LD company.  It seems what you mentioned contradicts what everyone else is saying regarding who is going to be picking up my LD charges once I make an LD call with Public Mobile.  I guess I can always play it safe and call the company to let them know what's happened.  Thanks.

In then end, a third-party long distance provider cannot be set at Public Mobile. They have no agreements in place with such companies.  Just in case something strange does happens in the back-end, be sure to cancel the long distance service.

I'm not sure where you're trying to make calls to, but Goldline is a relatively large group of companies that includes brands such as Cici and Dcall. These allow you to dial an access phone number first and then you enter the destination phone number. These work as prepaid services. You could save any required access numbers and PIN access codes for the long distance service in your contacts list so that you don't have to type them in each time.

Important note: Do NOT cancel your Bell landline service. That will automatically stop working once the phone number transfer is complete. It's only the relationship that with the long distance provider that you want to eliminate.

mobileguy

OK...so I just called the following number 1-700-555-4141 from my mobile phone to check who my long distance provider is and the recorded message said my LD carrier is Telus.  I'm assuming that's correct since PM is an umbrella company of Telus.  

mobileguy

@computergeek541 wrote:

@mobileguy wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Hopefully, I didn't ask this already.  I was previously with Bell on a landline number.  My long distance was with an independent carrier because they offered a much lower cost per minute for long distance calls.  So whenever I made a long distance call from my Bell landline, I would get an invoice from my LD independent carrier for my charges.

When I joined Public Mobile, I ported my Bell landline over and now my number is with PM.  I have the $15 monthly plan.

My question is, when I make a long distance call now, is it still going through my independent carrier or is the call just going to be deducted from my 100 minutes.  All my long distance calls are always in Canada.

And if it's the latter, do I still need to call my independent carrier to cancel my account?

Thanks.

Is the long distance provider one that you assigned as the default to long distance provider and that overrides Bell's billing, but still alowing you to dial normally?  Or is it one that you have to dial an access phone number first?

If it's one that simply billed you for usage instead of Bell billing you, Public mobile cannot perform such arrangements with a long distance provider.  So, you'll need to cancel it, because that arrangement won't work.  However, I noticed that you said that it was in a "contract". You will be required to fulfill any obligations you have as a customer to that company.

If it's a long distance company that you dial a local phone number first, you can still do that if you wish with no need to inform them. There are many long distance providers that you can use to make long distance calls in conjunction with Public Mobile by having you dial a third-party access number first. They usually involve buying a calling card from a convenience store or buy prepaying for long distance minutes from their websites.

There is no such thing as direct-dial third-party long distance at Public Mobile.

@computergeek541, I was alwasy dialing my LD numbers regularly without having to dial an access number first.  My long distance charges never appeared on my Bell bill.  I always got a separate invoice from this LD company.  It seems what you mentioned contradicts what everyone else is saying regarding who is going to be picking up my LD charges once I make an LD call with Public Mobile.  I guess I can always play it safe and call the company to let them know what's happened.  Thanks.

@mobileguy wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks.

Is the long distance provider one that you assigned as the default to long distance provider and that overrides Bell's billing, but still alowing you to dial normally?  Or is it one that you have to dial an access phone number first?

If it's one that simply billed you for usage instead of Bell billing you, Public mobile cannot perform such arrangements with a long distance provider.  So, you'll need to cancel it, because that arrangement won't work.  However, I noticed that you said that it was in a "contract". You will be required to fulfill any obligations you have as a customer to that company.

If it's a long distance company that you dial a local phone number first, you can still do that if you wish with no need to inform them. There are many long distance providers that you can use to make long distance calls in conjunction with Public Mobile by having you dial a third-party access number first. They usually involve buying a calling card from a convenience store or buy prepaying for long distance minutes from their websites.

There is no such thing as direct-dial third-party long distance at Public Mobile.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mobileguy wrote:

@ChuckYeah , it wasn't a flat rate plan.  It was on a per/call basis and I would get charged 10 cents per minute.  So if I made an hours worth of LD calls, then at the end of the month, I would get an invoice for $6.  Or is this considered a flat rate plan?

You should cancel the long distance service.  Buy the $5 500 minutes add-on to call at 1 cent per minute.  Minutes add-on does not expire, unused minutes will be rolled over to next cycle until all consumed.  You plan 100 outgoing minutes will be used first before using the add-on minutes.

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

When the port from Bell has been completed and will also cancel the contract with the LD provider.

pmmobile

@mobileguy  Your bill at Bell should also be pro-rated, so followup and expect to receive a cheque or credit of some sort.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@mobileguy wrote:

Hi Everyone,

@mobileguy  It's going to be deducted from your 100 minutes. Once you ported your number from Bell your Bell has been deactivated.

No need, but you can always give them a call to verify.

Thanks.

@mobileguy wrote:

@ChuckYeah , it wasn't a flat rate plan.  It was on a per/call basis and I would get charged 10 cents per minute.  So if I made an hours worth of LD calls, then at the end of the month, I would get an invoice for $6.  Or is this considered a flat rate plan?

No. A flat rate plan would be like 9.95 per month. In the case of by the minute, you Should be fine as you will not be making any calls thru Bell so you won't have any minutes to pay for. I always call tho if I can. It just makes sense to close the door.

mobileguy

@mobileguy I would epecially if it's a flat rate plan. Who knows what Bell tells their partners about cancellations. CYA!

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

LD calling through PM would be deducted from your 100 minutes.  Your account with your other provider should have been closed after it was ported to PM.

Need Help? Let's chat.