cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need a US SMS plan to RECEIVE text messages in the US?

audrar
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am in the United States and had only purchased a data plan.

My question is - can I will still RECEIVE text messages and calls without a PHONE or SMS plan? Or do I need that add-on to also receive texts?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@FredC wrote:

I have had issues even getting service to get a SMS while in the US.  I gave up after switching my USA sim and my Public Mobile sim in a few locations and never getting any signal.

If you're going to take your Public Mobile serviced phone to the states then you need a roaming add-on. Maybe that's completely obvious to you but there you go.

FredC
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have had issues even getting service to get a SMS while in the US.  I gave up after switching my USA sim and my Public Mobile sim in a few locations and never getting any signal.

audrar

Thanks @srlawren 

I'm waiting for a text from someone and wanted to make sure I wouldn't miss it! I have data, but didn't want to buy the sms add-on if I didn't need to. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@audrar no worries.  And yes I'm speaking from personal experience.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

audrar

@will13am Thank you!

I did look at that thread before posting my message and did not find that it definitely said if I would receive the texts or not; hence my post. I'm glad to hear I will at least receive text messages while here. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@audrar I can confirm what @will13am has said--you will receive text message but be unable to reply to them.  You will not receive any calls--they will go directly to your voicemail.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

According to this thread, answer is yes for text, no for phone calls.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Will-I-receive-text-message-while-roaming...

Need Help? Let's chat.