cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I get charged if I am in the US and I get called?

courtneyf
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Plans say international texts but what about calls? If I go to the United states and someone from Canada calls or texts me when I am there, do I get charged international fees? Currently I am with Koodo and I can call or text a  US number without international charges provided that I am still in Canada. I can also go into the US and call or text a Canadian number or a Candian Number can call or text me without international charges because my number is Candian based. I'm heading to the US for vacation in Dec and I am just trying to figure out if I am better off waiting until after I come home to change providers or not. We don't really need to use the phone to make local calls while we are there but we would like it so that people back home have a way of contacting us.

9 REPLIES 9

I have received text messages on my PM phone with no add-ons (and not the now discontinued US plan) while travelling in the USA. Can't send a text though.

AE_Collector

@Nezgar 

You are correct:  you would be able to receive incoming texts in the USA without roaming package.  

Not sure about voicemail notifications.  Probably not.  Somebody else can verify.....

I believe I read that even without a US roaming addon, you can still at least receive texts whilst in the USA? If so, would voicemail notifications come through as well?

@geopublic wrote:

@courtneyf  Your better off to switch when you get back IMHO. Your public mobile will not work in the US for outgoing calls and texts without purchasing a 10 day US roaming addon package. Furthermore International texts is only valid when you are in Canada.

Save for one of those unofficial Public Mobile gltiches that might sometimes allow it, incoming calls while you're in the U.S. aren't supposed to work either without a roaming add-on (or the $60 plan that included U.S. roaming).

@kpurest wrote:

I am using 40$ plan, when I was in state, I can't send message or calling to canada, even usa. 

You need to purchase roaming additional cost 10$ if you want to. 

You weren't supposed to be able to use your Public Mobile service while in the U.S. without a roaming add-on. The $10 roaming add-on is for data only. It doesn't enabled voice or text messaging usage while roaming in the U.S.

kpurest
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am using 40$ plan, when I was in state, I can't send message or calling to canada, even usa. 

You need to purchase roaming additional cost 10$ if you want to. 

@GinYVR wrote:
@courtneyfAs long as you have US add ons or the grandfathered US/Canada plan, you won't be charged anything if anyone calls your Canadian number while you are in the US.

Kinda hard to get a grandfathered $60 US/Canada plan when your are currently a Koodo customer.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire
@courtneyf As long as you have US add ons or the grandfathered US/Canada plan, you won't be charged anything if anyone calls your Canadian number while you are in the US.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@courtneyf  You're better off to switch when you get back IMHO. Your public mobile will not work in the US for outgoing calls and texts without purchasing a 10 day US roaming addon package. Furthermore International texts is only valid when you are in Canada.

Need Help? Let's chat.