cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discrepancy in "Data & Add-On Usage" vs. "Usage History" - How to fix this?

tingesio
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a significant discrepancy in "Data & Add-On Usage" report for the Auto-Pay period vs. "Usage History".

A few hours ago, I received a text from PM indicating that I had already used 75% of my data, when I have hardly used any data so far. At this moment, the "Data & Add-On Usage" screen says I used 218.6 MB out of my 250MB plan ($15/mo) which means I used 87%.  But that's wrong.

• After my last Autopay date of July 19, the "Usage History" report shows I only used 71MB (21%) which I agree with, and is far less than 87% usage.
  • I count from the June 19 autopay date, when I first activated, to today, I have used only 138MB (which is 55% of 250), and is still way under 87%.

I just paid $15 for a 1GB top-up so I'm not stuck in some critical moement without data.   But this seems to be a calculation error, not a self-help sort of problem.

How do I get someone to look at this? Sorry, I'm very new here still.

9 REPLIES 9

@tingesio 

To help understand how pm displays your usage....all texts are et (eastern time). All "live" calls (answered) are in local time in my case pt (pacific). Unanswered calls that go to voicemail are et. To differentiate between incoming calls that forward to voicemail (et) and when you check your voicemail (pt) just remember your calls to voicemail are live so in local time. I keep my phone on a 24 hour clock so when am/pm time is difficult to establish i can compare my call/text log to the usage to determine the time (am or pm.)

Make sure you reset your data tracker for months that have 31 days (or 28/29) and i liike to set my data limit at least half of plan data to be warned well before pm sends me a warning. With a data add on you will not get plan data warnings as long as you have one on your account......so set the warning on your phone to be forewarned of depleting data.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

depending on your model phone it may be different, but on samsung at least, you can enable data saver, which totally prevents background data. Ive picked 2 exceptions (messages) but other than that nothing else does anything else unless i actively do it. i havent come close to going over as of yet, unless i was actively using my device without wifi. without data saver, you could have apps like facebook and such, searching for new notifications or whatever, emails, whatnot, all looking while your device is not being used by you. this restrictor helps eliminate that unexpected usage

there must be similarly named options in other models as well.

tingesio
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for all your comments. As suggested, I will monitor my data use carefully, and will do so over the next 24 hours while I wait until the "Usage History" report has more recent information shown.

I will wait approx until 11pm PST tonight after which the "Usage History" report would be batch generated from the 9am-9pm PST (12pm-midnight EST) period. This period will correspond to the time I received the PM "you're at 75% usage" SMS message.

At that point, I should be able to confirm if there is a discrepancy.

Other observations:  I saw in the "Usage History" report, the dates and times are vague. It would be great if the time zone was specified and used consistently for all the time stamps.  I compared some of the items on the list to the log on my phone. It appears some items have a PST time (calls, for example, within BC) and SMS all seem to be EST.  The notation of AM or PM, or 24-hr clock are not shown, and that also makes it vague.  Ideally, it would be in ISO format YYYY-MM-DD HH:mm as in 24-hr clock and the time zone stated somewhere and consistent.

I'm still feeling new here, but I think the idea is to contribute (i.e., to croudsource customer/community member feedback to support the community and the service, while keeping costs down).

After this, I'll contact a Moderator.

Once again thanks for all the suggestions!

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@tingesio 

You may not using any data.  But you app may be using data without telling you.  Go through all your app to make sure they only download any update, photo and video using WiFi only.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@tingesio  Usage history is delayed the counter on the first page is correct.

Go into your device's usage and see if an app used a big chunk of data could also be a update etc.

@tingesio  you probably used the data. The counter on the overview page is almost instantaneous. The usage history is batch processed and  updated twice daily around 12 noon and midnight est. Stay safe 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

HI@tingesio ,

You just got a top up of 1 GB. 

You should be able to use it instantly.

Note that purchasing an add-on is a two step process. First you need to add the $ to your account and then add the add-on to your account.

Don't forget to restart your phone.

For other data discrepancy, you can contact the Moderator_Team here 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@tingesio you can contact customer support here

type "wrong usage"

(use the chat bubble options, then click "submit a ticket, click me" option)
https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/

make sure to check your inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically, for a message

make sure you actually applied the add-on to your account and not just added funds

Need Help? Let's chat.