cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did PM remove the states from the 300minute international addon ?

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I have a family member trying to call the states with her 300 minute international addon, Its asking her to purchase an addon to do so even though she has an international talk addon with 250 minutes left. 

On PM's site that shows an overview of the addons, It dosen't look like the USA is included in the 300 minute international addon anymore. 

Did PM remove the US from the international addon ?

46 REPLIES 46

@BearFBI 

You know @LurganIeUk makes a good point....just buy her the add on as a gift with a big "I love you" and let her call the US to her hearts content. She would probably call more knowing she isn't using her more expensive minutes she prefers to reserve to call Greece.

@BearFBI wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@BearFBI 

With the new add-ons, this gives the ability for customers to call more countries than they could before.  However, it's also true that this will make it so that some customers will need to purchase multiple add-ons.  Public Mobile is well aware of this crtisism, but this is the business decision that was made. I've always believed that there should only be one long distance add-on and that different calling destination should be weighted differently to use different amounts/values of the add-on.

Good point and i understand that.

Its just so annoying that I'm always the one thats out of luck.

Gee...I thought I was the only one that always gets screwed!!!!  From PM's point of view the different LD packages make sense and are low cost "if" you only have one main other country to call. But come on 15 bucks and she will be happy?? It is what it is.....changes we have to get over.  I don't think it is worth even shopping for another carrier. 

BearFBI

@computergeek541 wrote:

@BearFBI 

With the new add-ons, this gives the ability for customers to call more countries than they could before.  However, it's also true that this will make it so that some customers will need to purchase multiple add-ons.  Public Mobile is well aware of this crtisism, but this is the business decision that was made. I've always believed that there should only be one long distance add-on and that different calling destination should be weighted differently to use different amounts/values of the add-on.

Good point and i understand that.

Its just so annoying that I'm always the one thats out of luck.

@BearFBI 

While on the surface it seems like a bad deal and for your family member who signed up this year her only option with pm at this time is the $15/1000 US calling add on. Unless of course you can loan her your phone to make the call. If she calls infrequently then hopefully she can wait it out 'til next xmas when it is likely the third "more the merrier" campaign will come out and you can ensure that you load the free international calling add on gift onto to her account.

The "more the merrier" gifts continue to allow long distance calling across Canada and the US along with the international destinations. The 2019 gift also now includes the new added countries although this is unofficial.

When public mobile rejigged their long distance add ons by adding more countries and lowering prices for the most part they did drop a few countries from "one for all...all for one" $15/400 minutes add on that priced all countries contained there in at $0.0375/min. The price went up for a few countries and countries previously unreachable were added for $0.05/min. India, China, HongKong, Macao, Taiwan and Pakistan have now dropped to $0.02/min and the US and the UK to $0.015/min.

There is always the option of purchasing a $5 calling card with a toll free number to call that then allows calling to the US for a few pennies a minute rather than making the $15 investment in the new US calling add on.

More info here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/New-Long-Distance-Add-Ons/m-p/602884#M4...

Edit: I see now when typing that she has been a customer longer but has gone thru her free gifts.

BearFBI

@BlueB wrote:

Public Mobile is a budget service provider, so it's hard to ask too much from them.  You can reach out to Public Mobile staff (eg. Moderators) to provide suggestions/feedback, but as a business, they make decisions which make the most sense to them (eg. profits/$$$).

Another alternative other than an app, is to seek a different service provider.  Public Mobile's model of business doesn't work for everyone.  Sorry to hear she's having so much trouble with this though... goodluck!

I understand that PM is a "Budget" service provider. The thing is that PM makes a lot of money, They are just following typical Telus footsteps to squeeze every bit of money they can out of users while having to make a small population of users suffer. Unfortunately I and my family has to suffer and I find absolutely no use in the Chinese or Philippine addons.

PM has been offering that 400min international addon for years. I'm not asking THAT much of them to just continue offering it... 

Switching carriers is another option. Its sad that going into it it seemed like such a good idea, now that their talk addon structure has changed its not so great of an idea anymore. Only problem with switching carriers is that again im out of luck really, Carriers tied to the big 3 aren't the greatest in terms of long distance and of course I'm apart of that small population that doesn't have a regional carrier in their area.

Freedom mobile's 99$y Talk and Text plan would have been great. As much as im not a fan of the Freedom network, If you use it on its nationwide network its absolutely fine, the only problem is the roaming usage restrictions but that can be overcome with Wi-Fi calling because it counts as "Freedom usage".

Sadly it is what it is, she just has to keep feeding money into Public Mobile's mouths, cant go anywhere elese really.

Ah got it. Now she has to buy 2 add ons!!!  When you look at the changes it makes sense price wise and good for PM too as we may have to buy more than one LD add on. My MIL is 94 and we just make her happy and get want she wants in her last years. I mean she doesn't ask for a new Maserati or anything like that. 

@BearFBI wrote:

You've got to be kidding me. 

This is absolutely RIDICULOUS

Now I have to tell her that not only is she getting 100 minutes less for the 15$ international addon, but NOW I have to tell her she can't call the US without buying a 15$ 1000 minute addon that SHE WILL RARELY USE. 

She'll never use 1000 minutes, She rarely calls the US so itll be an absolute waste. 

What a Joke. Less for more, that's PM's new slogan. Whoever thought about these new addons needs to get fired. 

BearFBI

@LurganIeUk wrote:

BUT WHAT YOU ARE NOT SAYING, IS THAT THE OLD ADD-ON AND ONE OF THE FREEBIE ADD-ONS HAD USA CALLING. AND ANY OF THOSE THAT ARE NOT USED UP WILL BE GRANDFATHERED WITH USA CALLING!!

I understand that lol.

She goes through international addons on a regular basis to call her family in Greece. Her old international addons expired so she has no choice but to get the new ones. 

I wish PM would actually grandfather the addon for purchase again to grandfathered users. Going into this I wouldn't have thought that international calling would be such an issue.

BlueB

@BearFBI wrote:

@BlueB She uses a flip phone and she's 90 years old. 

A calling app would just make things worse... 

Public Mobile is a budget service provider, so it's hard to ask too much from them.  You can reach out to Public Mobile staff (eg. Moderators) to provide suggestions/feedback, but as a business, they make decisions which make the most sense to them (eg. profits/$$$).

Another alternative other than an app, is to seek a different service provider.  Public Mobile's model of business doesn't work for everyone.  Sorry to hear she's having so much trouble with this though... goodluck!

@BearFBI wrote:

Now I have to tell her that not only is she getting 100 minutes less for the 15$ international addon, but NOW I have to tell her she can't call the US without buying a 15$ 1000 minute addon that SHE WILL RARELY USE. 

She'll never use 1000 minutes, She rarely calls the US so itll be an absolute waste. 

What a Joke. Less for more, that's PM's new slogan. Whoever thought about these new addons needs to get fired. 

JUST BUY IT FOR HER...MAKE HER HAPPY. 

@Anonymous wrote:

For USA  

1000 Minutes U.S. Long Distance.$15

They will no expire on it , when you will use them all Minutes,

or for 300 International Long Distance Minutes,$15

Included countries: Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Czech Republic, Denmark, France,Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, Venezuela,

To get the obvious out of the way...you used 011 or +1 in front of the country code? Sometimes there are some extra leading zero's in country codes and "foreign" area codes. Maybe try not using leading zeros.

Good Luck

BUT WHAT YOU ARE NOT SAYING, IS THAT THE OLD ADD-ON AND ONE OF THE FREEBIE ADD-ONS HAD USA CALLING. AND ANY OF THOSE THAT ARE NOT USED UP WILL BE GRANDFATHERED WITH USA CALLING!!

BearFBI

@BlueB She uses a flip phone and she's 90 years old. 

A calling app would just make things worse... 

BlueB

@BearFBI 

Sorry to hear that Public Mobile's changes don't help her out... it's not a fix, but an alternative is to get a calling app to make calls to the US.  I know it's not ideal, but could help if it's only a one-time thing and you would rather do this for free than $15.  🙂

BearFBI

Anonymous
Not applicable

For USA  

1000 Minutes U.S. Long Distance.$15

They will no expire on it , when you will use them all Minutes,

or for 300 International Long Distance Minutes,$15

Included countries: Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Czech Republic, Denmark, France,Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, Venezuela,

To get the obvious out of the way...you used 011 or +1 in front of the country code? Sometimes there are some extra leading zero's in country codes and "foreign" area codes. Maybe try not using leading zeros.

Good Luck

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

They did a bunch of changes awhile ago. BUT if you had an add-on that allowed calling to USA it should still work as long as there are minutes left. 

Need Help? Let's chat.