cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did PM change the long distance addon ?

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I could've sworn the long distance addon was 400min/15$. Now it changed to 300min/15$. Are you serious PM ?

I was going to go and top-up an account I manage with long-distance minutes and see this. 

Screenshot 2021-03-31 091109.jpg

What a joke. PM is offering less for the same now. My family wouldn't like this because they call long-distance a lot. PM has turned down the wrong direction this year.

13 REPLIES 13

@darlicious    Whew!!    That's a lot of information and numbers to take in this early in the morning.  But good information, non the less.  As usual. 

Here kitty kitty kitty.  Here kitty kitty kitty

-Q

@BearFBI 

If you notice the " more the merrier" gift of 500 international calling minutes is the same as the previous 400 international minutes for $15 ( except for the extra 100 minutes) as it includes Canada and the US. The new $15/300 min add on does not....this is the reason for the difference in price along with the additonal countries included in the add on such as the Republic of Ireland. So there were additional countries added that were formerly inaccessible for pm customers to call and there is no chance of defaulting and using these more expensive minutes to call Canada ($0.01 p/min) or the US (formerly $0.04/0.0375 p/min now $0.015 p/min).

Comparitively pm overall has the cheapest long distance rates of all providers with exception of the odd country here or there like lucky's $5/40 min to the Phillippines ($0.125 vs $0.15 p/min) however the add on minutes do not roll over. Most of the providers charge a monthly fee of $5-$7 for their discounted rates or on average $1.50+p/min without the monthly fee. Many had comparable rates to a few popular and populous countries ( India $0.02 p/min and China $0.02-$0.05 p/min) but the other country I checked for comparison Ireland averaged $0.18 p/min except for fido which offered $0.01 p/min to landlines ( which nobody has due to their longtime prohibitive cost) and $0.25 p/min to mobile phones.

So despite pm raising the cost of one add on while adding value to it they lowered the overall cost to the most frequently called countries and of course all of pm's add ons roll over ( except US roaming ones) and their are no additional minute/overage rates when you exceed your alottment which averaged $0.95 p/min with several providers. And no monthly fees to access discounted long distance rates.

with the shortening of the international mins add-on, there were more countries added. I'm sure pm has statistics on which countries are most popular and made adjustments to fit customers needs. 

to be honest, I don't think 1.25 cents more a min is much to complain about...

"you and I cannot change or control the world around us, but we can change and control the world within us"

BearFBI

@Anonymous "With your on-going campaign of slagging the place...maybe this place is just not for you."

Eh. I just like to complain. Really there's no where else for me to go yet. I'm stuck with Public, that's why I'm angry when they change the price of things that affect me. 

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@AE_Collector wrote:

I honk they actually offered “More” not less. More countries on the International plan though less minutes. But as most want US calling add-ons its price per minute went from 4c to 1.5c. The biggest complaint since this change is that there are now more add-ons needed to be able to call multiple countries rather than it being a price increase.

AE_Collector

I call numerous different countries, and now I must buy a bunch of different addon packages instead of one. PM should simply offer one addon long distance package and just charge different rates for the different countries. Let me buy $20 worth of long distance and charge me the 2 cents per minute to call the USA or the 40 cents per minute to call the obscure Eastern European countries...whatever they need to do, just make it simpler.

I think they actually offered “More” not less. More countries on the International plan now though less total minutes for the price. But as most want US calling add-ons its price per minute went from 4c to 1.5c. The biggest complaint since this change is that there are now more add-ons needed to be able to call multiple countries rather than it being a price increase.

AE_Collector

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BearFBI : With your on-going campaign of slagging the place...maybe this place is just not for you.

The shareholders, the employees from the CEO on down and the board of directors have one interest and one interest only...profit. There is otherwise no reason for them to exist. They aren't in interested in the good of society or their customers. Just. Profit. This is the same for every sole-proprietor on up to multi-national corporations. This is not news.

BearFBI

@Dunkman wrote:

Personally, I also feel that it was a bad move to reduce the minutes.  If the change hurts PM's profits, PM would change things back, but it looks like the change has not affected the profitability of their add ons.  

All about the profits. Cellular industry sucks. No one cares about the consumer actually using the service, Especially Telus.

@BearFBI wrote:

@Dunkman wrote:

@BearFBI 

Not happy of course whenever prices increase.  But, PM did offer more countries which some customers did request.  US and Canada wide calling is not including in the $15 long distance add on, which means customers need to buy separate US calling add on also.  

Yes but my family who calls Europe is out of luck. Europe is only included in the international addon which now offers 100 minutes less. 

Personally, I also feel that it was a bad move to reduce the minutes.  If the change hurts PM's profits, PM would change things back, but it looks like the change has not affected the profitability of their add ons.  

BearFBI

@Dunkman wrote:

@BearFBI 

Not happy of course whenever prices increase.  But, PM did offer more countries which some customers did request.  US and Canada wide calling is not including in the $15 long distance add on, which means customers need to buy separate US calling add on also.  

Yes but my family who calls Europe is out of luck. Europe is only included in the international addon which now offers 100 minutes less. 

@BearFBI 

BearFBI

@Dunkman Wow I didn't even notice that thread, Weird.

People are happy about it to. Seriously ?

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@BearFBI 

Yes, they changed the pricing in early December when PM added different long distance country add ons.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/New-Long-Distance-Add-Ons/m-p/602884#M4...

Need Help? Let's chat.