cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I miss something? $40 is now only 4.5GB and a new $45 plan with 6.5GB

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Did PM update/release new plans and I missed it. 

The $40 plan is now 4GB +500 bonus for a total of 4.5GB not the 'normal' 5GB

There is also a new $45 plan that is 6Gb + 500MB bonus. 

Or did I just miss the announcement. 

Other providers are killing PM in the $40 - $50 plans. Many others can get over 10GB for this cost now.

14 REPLIES 14

@kselmak wrote:

@Metal1967 

They had 10 gigs for 60

Then shortly 12.5 for 60(-2)

The $60 10/10.5/12/12.5GB plans are actually all coded in the system as the same price plan.  The original intention was for the plan to include either 10 or 12GB of data total. However, Public Mobile sent out a text message to some customers on the $50 plan advertising the $60 plan as 12.5GB if autopay was enabled. 

For the 12.5GB, a promo code was needed.  Some time maybe 1 or 2 months later, a correction was made to the plan and the plan was updated to 10.5 or 12.5GB (if the promo code was on the account) to honor was was advertised to existing customers.

@Metal1967 

They had 10 gigs for 60

Then shortly 12.5 for 60(-2)

That was way too short though

I think they don't want to compete with Koodo that's all

But I think they should compete with freedom though

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well hello there @Metal1967. Where've ya been? 🙂

Metal1967

Strange they always juggle the lower priced plans around but never offer anything above the 8 + 5 on the highest plan... other than the 60$ Deal with the us roaming which atm is kinda useless....one day maybe 🥶

@popping wrote:

@smp99 wrote:

Gone are the days when it was fairly easy to move people over to PM and grab their referral.

Agree.  People have more choices now.  PM plans and promos used to sell by itself.  Not any more this year.  

It's hard for plans to sell when compared to the other plans available, Public has been laggging behind other carriers for about a year. The promos and plans at Public Mobile haven't really been good since about February.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

Rogers is advertising 100GB of 4G data for the low low price of $175 per month. This is a bring your own phone price.

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

The market lately seems to be bonus gigs for the same money, but nothing to help the little guys save anything 🤷

The marketing trend lately seems to be "MANY GB for $PRICE per month" ... but if you read the details it's always "FEW GB for $PRICE per month, plus one-time MANY GB signup bonus". And it's always $$ activation fee plus $$ SIM card fee plus $$ number porting fee.

I think it's misleading advertising, designed to suck in the suckers. But people are talking about it so I guess it works.

You can jump ship and grab, say, Freedom's $35 1GB plan with 10GB bonus. Then use it all up quickly and jump ship for another carrier, go through them all. (They all require a valid credit card to signup for these deals, so they'll have you on record, and if you don't pay extra to keep porting your number around you've also got to wait until your existing account is finally terminated before you can signup again as a "new" customer.)

But it seems like a lot of effort, a lot of hassle. And a lot of uncertainty since nobody knows how long these offers will last or what will be available months down the road. And not even such a great deal, cashing in on those one-time data bonuses costs money out of pocket through all the secondary fees. All to get a few more bonus GB? Even buying data (more data and faster data) from a wired or wireless internet service provider would cost less.

While staying at PM pays off steadily over the long term and offers the certainty of never getting a worse deal than you already have - since nobody would change to a plan which costs more to get less than whatever plan they already have. I've seen many people leave PM for competing promos over a few years, some of them are happy, some of them always come back (and have to start their Rewards again from scratch). Much better to let the flashy marketing come and go while you sit back and save over the long run with PM.

Pawprints1986

So Fido can do 4 gigs for 15 but last i looked they want 45 for 1 gig with talk and text... Instead of offering more gigs "for free" all the time they'd make a killing offering the same gigs for less money... 

The market lately seems to be bonus gigs for the same money, but nothing to help the little guys save anything 🤷

I like to browse around sometimes to compare but that's all I've seen

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@smp99 wrote:

Gone are the days when it was fairly easy to move people over to PM and grab their referral.

Agree.  People have more choices now.  PM plans and promos used to sell by itself.  Not any more this year.  

smp99

I do subscribe to be notified when there are announcements, but this was not officially announced, so no notice. 

I have dropped all the way down from $40 plan to $15 because of covid. I'm still way ahead and there are no plans for things to change anytime soon at my office. But when I do go back I guess I won't be getting 5GB anymore. 4.5GB is fine when I do return and I will stay with PM given all of my credits, but if those dry up, it will likely be Lucky with their unlimited data.

@kselmak 

I could live with the slight downgrade in data on the $40 plan if they had $30/2gb and $35/3gb. Or better yet $25/1.5gb, $30/2.5gb, $35/3.5gb, $40/5gb, $45/6.5, $50/8.5gb, $55/10.5gb, $60/12.5gb. All with autopay of course.....you could even have a $20/1gb and market public mobiles plans as "go green with public mobiles no bloat data....dont waste your plan data....only get what you need."

PM changes plan details and plan structure from time to time. Often as a response to what their competitors (mostly Lucky) have implemented.

Existing legacy plans are "grandfathered" and remain as-is. Until you change them - and you can always choose a new plan from the list of PM's current offerings but you can never choose to return to a plan once it's discontinued. Your existing plan seems better than current in-market plans so I'm guessing you got some kind of promo.

You've gotta check PM's Plans page or Announcements forum from time to time if you want to keep aware of what PM is selling. Or subscribe to their email newsletter thing. They don't send notifcations to update customers on changes (or to inform customers when new plans are cheaper or better than legacy plans).

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Yup:(

Hoping for $60/12g $50/10g $40/5g $30/2.5g $20/1

Fido and freedom are really killing with data only plans:4 gigs for 15 is really tempting especially if you have double sim phone and you can get those on Amazon for about 100

Need Help? Let's chat.