cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Date - LTE or 3G

sweetpea
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My current plan does not specifiy if my data is LTE or 3G. I signed up earlier this year - in May 2017. I get 6GB of data but I'm not sure if it's LTE or 3G. If it's 3G I want to upgrade. How will I find out? It doesn't say on my plan page.

8 REPLIES 8

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Here's the definitive way to tell

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@911onFire wrote:

Can you get your phone to display 4G or 3G on the top status bar? Also speedtest.net as others have mentioned for download speed.

@911onFire

I don't have personal experience with this but I would assume that the phone would still show 4G (if available) for this particular "3G".

PM's "3G plans" are actually throttled LTE (that's why I would prefer a term like LTE light...) and not actually using 3G technology (UMTS/HSDPA) unless that is the highest available connection or the phone is set accordingly.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

If selfserve does not specify then you have full LTE.

LTE lite says 3g after the data amount.

911onFire
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Can you get your phone to display 4G or 3G on the top status bar? Also speedtest.net as others have mentioned for download speed.

@ShawnC13

I think if the OP signed up in May 2017 - and have not changed their plan - they *should* be paying $120/90days for 6GB LTE and unlimited provincial talk / global text .

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I would do a speed test and if the download speed breaks the 2.5 mbit barrier, then it is the full speed LTE plan and not the throttled LTE plan. 

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

The 3G (I prefer to refer to them as LTE light, since it's throttled LTE) data plans were introduced in July 2017.

If you signed up for a data plan before that you are on a grandfathered LTE plan.

It is my understanding that it would be explicitly stated in your self serve profile if your data is "3G".

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@sweetpea, a way to check would be to go to the plan page and figure out your plan iwth talk and text then add your data amount at LTE or 3G and what ever one matches would be what you have.  Alos you could do a speedtest(while not on Wifi) www.speedtest.net  If your plan just says 6GB of data I would think that is the LTE as all the 3G plans look like they have + data on them.  Province wide call global text 90 day LTE is $135 the same with 3G is $120

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.