cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data

Brittgray905
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How am I going through so much data so fast?

8 REPLIES 8

helenhelen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

also, as others have said, it depends on your usage. are you using your phone when not within wifi vicinity a lot to do things like stream music or videos? That will drain you very fast. I have a young friend who makes phone calls using data (via whatsapp) instead of calling normally, without thinking about it.. which is super silly considering that regular phone calls are part of his plan! Think about how you are using data and whether you need to be doing so when not connected to wifi.

helenhelen

if you have an iPhone, check "wifi assist" in settings. I had this happen once when my home DSL service was being faulty and it drained my data without me knowing! Now I keep wifi assist off, to be on the safe side. also, make sure your wifi is on (sometimes you might have it off without realizing it?)

DPyro
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

What kind of phone do you have? Most phones should have an option to enable data saver.

For Android it's under Settings > Data Usage > Data Saver

This will restrict apps from using data in the background.

Eliza5

Hello @Brittgray905,

That happened to me when I first started with PM.

To save data do the following:

- Keep mobile data turned off and use Wifi wherever available when you are out.

- Close all your windows and apps running in the background, this sucks up a lot of data.

- Someone just reminded me...make sure your phone is on data saver.

- Try not to view movies and videos on your phone they use up more data than just checking your email or browsing the internet.

@Eliza5

Anonymous
Not applicable

...and...sometimes, upon connecting to a new network, a phone will do all kinds of updates to kind of sync up everything recognizing that it's on a different network. Maybe that'll settle down after a day or three.

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Set up your phone "WIFI only"  for most unimportant things.

@Brittgray905 wrote:

"So much" is very relative. Different people will have different ideas of is a lot.  Often, apps are performing background tasks.  You'll want to look through your phone's data usage history to see which ones are using the most.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brittgray905 wrote:

OS updates, app updates, your own activity. Turn off the update options to only run on wifi to start.

Need Help? Let's chat.