Data

changingmyways
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My plan is for 8 gigs why is it telling me I've used all my data at 4.5 gigs

12 REPLIES 12

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kb_mv wrote:

@srlawren @changingmyways I have found Data Witness PM on the Play Store for Android pretty accurate and you are able to enter your plan data amount, any add on data you have, plus 30 day renewals.

@kb_mv yes another option is to use an app.  Data Witness PM is great and I used to use it.  It hasn't been updated since some time in 2018 so hard to know if it still works/will continue to work with newer versions of Android.  

There's also My Data Manager which is popular (and available for both iOS and Android), though it sends your usage back to their servers and has some potential privacy issues which may scare some away (including myself).  Be sure to read their terms and privacy notices carefully before deciding.

Personally, I'd say just sign into self-serve every few days and check.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren @changingmyways I have found Data Witness PM on the Play Store for Android pretty accurate and you are able to enter your plan data amount, any add on data you have, plus 30 day renewals.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@changingmyways wrote:

it says it on my phone when you go to data and usage there is no way I've used 8 gigs I haven't changed anything and I've never even come close to using all my data any other month and I haven't been on my phone any more than usual I would actually say I've been on it less than normal 

@Helpershelper it's not Wi-Fi Assist causing the issue.

@changingmyways here's the thing: your phone's data usage features are "dumb".  By that, I mean they aren't aware of your plan's data amount, start date, and renewal date, unless you set those things in settings.  Where to find this will vary based on your phone but somewhere in settings you will find settings for amount of data in your plan and when your plan renewal date is.  If you want to try to depend on the phone's tracker, you will need to update your renewal date every month (or, every month that follows a month with 31, 28, or 29 days) and manually adjust it.  There's also a setting about when it should warn you about your usage, and another for when it should cut you off.  I'm guessing you have the warning set at 4.5GB and that's the message you're seeing.  

To check how much data you've actually used, always log into your self-serve account and check on the overview page. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@changingmyways 

I can understand your frustration with this. If you think you’re using more data than you think I would suggest 2 ideas. First, turn off Wi-Fi Assist and turn off background app refresh.

Apple
Go to settings > cellular or settings > mobile data. then scroll down and tap the slider for Wi-Fi assist.
Settings > general > background app refresh.

Android
Settings > google > networking > Wi-Fi assist
Also, if you’re on android and your noticing lots of data usage when you’re not using your phone, it could be a virus. Install this antivirus too:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bitdefender.antivirus

@changingmyways  What your device is reporting is not the same as what your actual data usage is. To verify access your selfserve account and check the data counter on the first page.

The data counter is the correct amount so adjust the date on your device to get a more accurate data usage reading.

mm80

@changingmyways wrote:

it says it on my phone when you go to data and usage there is no way I've used 8 gigs I haven't changed anything and I've never even come close to using all my data any other month and I haven't been on my phone any more than usual I would actually say I've been on it less than normal 

The dates on your phone might not be set the same as your last renewal. Plans are 30 days at Public Mobile, so the renewal date changes in some months.

mm80

@changingmyways wrote:

It say I have 4 gigs of data left 

You got a text message telling you that you almost used all of your data but it still works? If the data is working, ignore the text message.

changingmyways

changingmyways

It say I have 4 gigs of data left 

@changingmyways 

Log into your account. What plan does it say you have on the overview page under "my plans and add ons"?

Scroll down to the bottom of the page does it show any plan data ? If there is nothing showing then you have used it all up. Have you recently activated or changed plans?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@changingmyways wrote:

Where is it saying 8 and where is it saying 4.5?

Is your phone telling you? Are you getting a text from here?

@changingmyways wrote:

This sounds to me as if you're on a different plan. Are you paying $40 or $50 for your plan every 30 days?

Need Help? Let's chat.