cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data will running out

Vtan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Covid 19 going to cost me a lot of money I almost use up my 12 gb in one month because reading news,

and video chat with the family,

I wish publicmobile they could do something to help out  time like this ?

20 REPLIES 20

More investigation into how much data the various apps use is needed. My wife used to go into Pinterest (nothing but pictures) and here data would be GONE almost instantly. I get by an 1/4Gb a month by being very carefull, but yes I have wifi at home. The most data intensive things need to be saved for when you can find wifi. 

The change to a monthly $40/5Gb or $50/8.5Gb plan will give you more data at the same price per month on the $40 plan or LOTS more data at just a bit more per month on the $50 plan. Another benefit of 30 day plans is IF you do run out of data before plan renewal it won't potentially be 60 days before plan renewal!

Thanks for your hard work in the food production business!

AE_Collector

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

I know people like to do video calls, but if I'm not mistaken all those platforms also allow voice only calls. You would use way less data and still be able to communicate with family.

Vtan

Thanks better then $30 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM is currently offering 1GB data add-on for $15.

Vtan

In the city yes not outside of town

Vtan

As right now I am working High demand on the food plan , 10-12 hrs 

only available wifi’s at home not at Work, to update news through the day

sad about that I cannot use my data going to run out then I won’t able to check my email anymore,

Vtan

Thanks for your information,

in my case I only can afore to have phone not home internet 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Vtan wrote:

Covid 19 going to cost me a lot of money I almost use up my 12 gb in one month because reading news,

and video chat with the family,

I wish publicmobile they could do something to help out  time like this ?

@Vtan That sounds as though you are on an old 90 day plan. Couple of ideas:

- renew your current plan early as needed ($120 for 12 GB is $10/GB)

- downgrade to the current (slow speed LTE) $50 for 8.5 GB = $5.88/GB; renew early as needed

To renew early you must make a 1 time payment equal to your plan cost less any Available Funds (NOT Rewards) and then submit a ticket for the early renewal.

Is either workable in your situation?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Vtan  hers a list of what the different providers are doing to help in this crises.  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Data/m-p/516436/highlight/true#M67469

In your case, it may be better to get a home internet provider, at least for the duration of this crises.

Vtan

For covid19 I wished that we all could read news anywhere on you phone without cost use up your wifi,

have to go Search for WiFi go to McDonald’s or different places looking for wifi !!!

It is not safe as what’s going on right now

smiley3
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@srlawren Well buying 1GB of data for $30 isn't ideal either if @Vtan used 12GB in one month!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@smiley3 well compared to overage costs at around $100/GB prior to the recent move of most of the post-paid providers to unlimited (with throttling) plan offerings, $30/GB isn't actually that bad.  That said, to answer your other questions, yes they would lose and rewards associated with the account if they ported out the number, as the account would be closed in the process.  If they took a new number with the other provider, they could let the PM plan go suspended for up to 90 days before it closes.  Neither is likely ideal. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

smiley3

It would be nice if Public Mobile had some type of 30 day unlimited data add-on....Right now the only option looks to be buying 1GB for $30.....Highway Robbery!!!

smiley3

@srlawren Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, that @Vtan 's best option might be to switch carriers to an unlimited data plan for a month or two.  I saw some providers are actually not doing the fallback to throttled speed anymore due to the pandemic.

Although, would you lose all your public mobile rewards if you wanted to switch back in a month or two?

Also, unlimited Data plans are pretty expensive, I think Telus is one of the cheapest at around $75/month.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Vtan this might not be a popular suggestion, but you may want to consider porting a plan at another provider with fallback to unlimited throttled data in your situation.  I don't really advise making changes right now [as I said here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/New-Customer-Promotions-March-2020/m-p/51...], but if you have no ready access to WiFi when you need it, it might be a smart decision.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

killerofmusic

Then your only option will be to get something like a add on for international calling. Or going to a mcdonalds or Tim hortons to access wifi ( not suggested in light of COVID 19). Addon for data if its urgent and try to minimize your data usage with just checking web pages for updates. If you are isolated and need to watch videos to pass time. Use youtube downloader at something like 480p to reduce data usage. Also there is a data saver feature on smartphones. You can close all background data for apps and only let important apps access data. Stay safe. 

Vtan

I work in a farm field not easy to get WiFi, 

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

Use Shaw wifi when possible. Over 100000 hot spots.

Due to the covid crisis...

“We’ve opened up Shaw Go WiFi, Canada’s largest WiFi network, to everybody. Shaw will give everyone complimentary and unrestricted access to network hotspots regardless of whether or not they’re a Shaw customer.”

Lar

@Vtan  Why not use wifi to read the news or an app like Google Duo for free video calls, .  Google hangout app for free phone calls. Free wifi is all over the place. I can park outside my closed library and get wifi, outside McDonalds and never go in and still get wifi. Cheers

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

As of now they are offering a credit for us roaming add-ons.  Will need to wait and see if they will do anything else for customers.

Need Help? Let's chat.