cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data used up

aneeshbansal
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just noticed that half of my data which is 2.5 gb is used up and its not even 10 days. Normally I do not even use half of my data in one full month.

And I am always in a Wifi covered area.

Is that a glich ?

did anyone else noticed that as well ?

28 REPLIES 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AE_Collector wrote:

I am sure glad they were able to quickly find and fix the problem. It would have been a nightmare if they were only able to fix this if requested by the user as we would be hearing over the next year or more about people discovering something wrong with their data.

I looked at two accounts again last night and very thing was in order. If it made any difference both accounts had the 1Gb Sept bonus and the new 1Gb bonus and the September bonus has not so far seen any use. Maybe a glitch of some sort between the two data bonus packages that only appeared if part of the Sept bonus had been used in the past?

AE_Collector

My problem account has the 5gb earlier promo. No plan data. I had already used up the summer data.

Once again though...communication. Acknowledgment of a seeming problem then informing that it was solved. Just mysteriously in the background leaves all these questions.

But it's fine now for me.

Interestingly, as I reported last night, my "good" account is still using an older 200mb add-on. Turning on data on that account pulled from that. Not the summer data. Not this data. But my "problem" account left the original 5gb data alone when the summer data came and now pulls from this new data.

I am sure glad they were able to quickly find and fix the problem. It would have been a nightmare if they were only able to fix this if requested by the user as we would be hearing over the next year or more about people discovering something wrong with their data.

I looked at two accounts again last night and very thing was in order. If it made any difference both accounts had the 1Gb Sept bonus and the new 1Gb bonus and the September bonus has not so far seen any use. Maybe a glitch of some sort between the two data bonus packages that only appeared if part of the Sept bonus had been used in the past?

AE_Collector

Anonymous
Not applicable

@EJ1928 wrote:

I wouldn't say it's a PR nightmare. Seems to affect just a few people compared to the vast majority of customers they have.  I haven't seemed to have this issue.

It appeared to be becoming a trend. I had it with 1 of 2 accounts.

Yes. Mine is working properly now too. It even got reset back to 0 from about 63MB. Turn on data, refresh counter = 5.293MB - as previously observed. Turn off data, flip on airplane mode, refresh counter = .016MB

Thank you again Public Mobile. @Tiana_V @CS_Agent 

EJ1928

I wouldn't say it's a PR nightmare. Seems to affect just a few people compared to the vast majority of customers they have.  I haven't seemed to have this issue.

audrar

@GR wrote:

I had the same problem last night on one of my phones, this morning everything is back to normal and the data works! Last night I couldn't use data at all and I had to switch the phone to 3g because on lte it kept going in and out of service.  Sounds like a system glitch that was hopefully fixed during the night 

Same! Seems like it was a glitch. Since My account keep fluctuating between showing I still had got to last night to showing that I was completely out of data and have used up everything. Which did not make sense whatsoever. I'm glad things seem to be sorted out now!!!!

@Karyathena  In my dual SIM phone I set the data trackers for both Sims set for their renewal dates on a 30 day basis. I also have about 10 apps that are not restricted but all the background data usage is turned off and data saver is on with no access to mobile data. On my back up SIM only the Android OS and Google play are not restricted but again no background data usage and data saver with no mobile data. I track exactly how much each app uses, keep an eye on the tracked usage. Unless you record each days data numbers (like gas mileage) you dont get a daily total. In your account the data usage is tracked within about a minute of use but you can get a general daily usage in the text/calling history that shows data usage under "web" but shows up best I can tell about 4 hours after use. Comparing your phone usage to your account usage gives you a fairly accurate accounting I find not off by a whole lot except of course today! As an example with my renewal tonight my OS used 482kb and google play 6.37kb between Nov 6th and Dec 5th on my back up sim/phone line. My phone says 495kb and my account says 480kb. So a discrepancy of 15kb.

K_The_Grey

I had the same issue last night as well.  it all seems cleared up now.

I had the same problem last night on one of my phones, this morning everything is back to normal and the data works! Last night I couldn't use data at all and I had to switch the phone to 3g because on lte it kept going in and out of service.  Sounds like a system glitch that was hopefully fixed during the night 

Karyathena
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi there, I wondered how you are tracking your data? In your phone under data usage, or on the public mobile account page? I find the public account page very vague, does it mean since your monthly start date? It doesn’t list any dates just data used.

is there anyway to track daily usage? 

Thanks

@AE_Collector  My data tracker in my phone doesn't come close to what my account usage says. The usage makes no sense. Ironic that everyone is using up their data without using it. I can use my rbc promo data but the rest of my plan...calling, texting and plan data is inaccessible. As are the moderators apparently....i thought Simon was supposed to prioritize service tickets based on the issue.....but it doesn't seem anyone with no service after renewal is getting any service from the moderators.

@audrar 

I am not following you. You say you went through 1.7Gb today and data is gone. Yet you have almost all of today's 1Gb bonus available per your screen shot and quite a lot of the previous 1Gb bonus data. Your usage chart shows only 4xx Mb used from Dec1 with more of that used on the 1st and 2nd than the 3rd and 4th yet you attribute it to adding the 1Gb today. Guess I am just not understanding it.

AE_Collector

@audrar wrote:

@sunflowershine wrote:

@aneeshbansal 

Here is the steps:

In order for you to have more control over you data usage, we recommend turning off data when is not needed. Also disabling Wi-Fi assist (for iPhone) or Smart network switch (for Android) to avoid the phone connects and jumps automatically from Wi-Fi to data. 

It is also recommended to restrict background data to avoid that applications connect automatically to your data and make small updates as soon as you turn it on.  

You may consider monitoring your data from the setting of your phone if you have an android (settings-data- set data limit – enter your billing cycle- your data allotment so the phones gives you a breakdown per app) .

You may also consider getting a third party application that will give you a breakdown of the usage per app, so you know what application is using your data or if it is the operating system of your phone. 

That doesn't account for people using wifi like myself who don't run background apps and have all those settings shut off. Something is seriously wrong. I had no issues before I added the bonus GB and then all of a sudden, WHILE ON WIFI, I blew through 1.7Gb of data. That has NEVER happened before. Something is seriously wrong with PM and not the users. 

Click the ? in lower right side of page to start process of moderator intervention. Type "contact a human'..then follow instruction.

audrar

@CS_Agent really not understanding how my phone data tracking is showing that I've used less that 500Mb since December 1st, the PM system is showing I blew through 1.7Gn in 3 hours while on wifi. WHAT IS  GOING ON!?  Screenshot_20191204-235053.jpg

This image shows my data usage... I'm well below the 1.7gb I still had. I was FINE BEFORE I added the bonus GB and then it all went to **bleep**. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have my own update. My main line that has the 200mb add-on from quite a while ago plus the summer 1gb gift plus the recent gift...turn on data - it hit the 200mb with the usual 5.293MB buffer. Turn it off and flip in/out of airplane mode it reduces to the actual usage as it has done for me in the past as a test. That's a Samsung S7 running A8.

My "data" line is a Nokia Lumia 635 running Windows Phone 8.1 Update. This is the one that has this rapid data consumption that didn't happen before. For it, the summer gift took over from the previous 5gb promo bucket. But it behaved normally. Now... not.

audrar

@sunflowershine wrote:

@aneeshbansal 

Here is the steps:

In order for you to have more control over you data usage, we recommend turning off data when is not needed. Also disabling Wi-Fi assist (for iPhone) or Smart network switch (for Android) to avoid the phone connects and jumps automatically from Wi-Fi to data. 

It is also recommended to restrict background data to avoid that applications connect automatically to your data and make small updates as soon as you turn it on.  

You may consider monitoring your data from the setting of your phone if you have an android (settings-data- set data limit – enter your billing cycle- your data allotment so the phones gives you a breakdown per app) .

You may also consider getting a third party application that will give you a breakdown of the usage per app, so you know what application is using your data or if it is the operating system of your phone. 

That doesn't account for people using wifi like myself who don't run background apps and have all those settings shut off. Something is seriously wrong. I had no issues before I added the bonus GB and then all of a sudden, WHILE ON WIFI, I blew through 1.7Gb of data. That has NEVER happened before. Something is seriously wrong with PM and not the users. 

audrar

@Anonymous wrote:

@audrar wrote:

That happened to me!!!! On about 3 hours I apparently ran through 1.7Gb of data!!!! That has NEVER happened to me before AND I was on wifi and not touching my phone as I was in a meeting. Something fishy is going on!!!

What's even more annoying is I look at my account and it shows I still have that 1.7gb but I have no data access when I turn off my wifi. I'm very annoyed right now!!!!!

Do you allow wifi failover to cell data on your phone?

So that 1.7 was out of your plan data?

I don't consume data with data off so I'm getting something different.

Jeez. A lovely gesture from the company and this appears to be becoming a nightmare for them from a PR standpoint.

No I have all those overrides shut off. In 2+ years being on PM I've never gone over my data until today. I had .7gb left on my plan for another week.... Normally no issues with that amount for a week left. Added the extra GB because it was a lovely gesture, and all of a sudden I leave work without any data!!!! And my wifi at work is good. And I wasn't touching my phone and there were no updates running in the background and no apps open to even eat up almost 2gb of data!!!!! I don't get it!!!! This isn't right!

audrar

K_The_Grey

Agreed, It was a nice gesture, but something went horribly wrong, and it is a huge deal to many of us to not have data access on our phones.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@audrar wrote:

That happened to me!!!! On about 3 hours I apparently ran through 1.7Gb of data!!!! That has NEVER happened to me before AND I was on wifi and not touching my phone as I was in a meeting. Something fishy is going on!!!

What's even more annoying is I look at my account and it shows I still have that 1.7gb but I have no data access when I turn off my wifi. I'm very annoyed right now!!!!!

Do you allow wifi failover to cell data on your phone?

So that 1.7 was out of your plan data?

I don't consume data with data off so I'm getting something different.

Jeez. A lovely gesture from the company and this appears to be becoming a nightmare for them from a PR standpoint.

audrar

What's even more annoying is I look at my account and it shows I still have that 1.7gb but I have no data access when I turn off my wifi. I'm very annoyed right now!!!!Screenshot_20191204-231845.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cindysha wrote:

if you are talking about the 1GB Holiday Bonus Data, I have the same problem. Even when the mobile data is off, the 1Gb data still runed out in a few minute. And when I turned on the mobile data, the LTE runs on and off, I have no idea what is going on.

I'm not getting consumption with data off. But yes a whole lot more being consumed from the counter than would otherwise be normal. I turn on data, refresh counter, turn off data...14 or so MB consumed. Something does seem to be wrong.

cindysha
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

if you are talking about the 1GB Holiday Bonus Data, I have the same problem. Even when the mobile data is off, the 1Gb data still runed out in a few minute. And when I turned on the mobile data, the LTE runs on and off, I have no idea what is going on.

alannasonfire
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This happened to me .. My wifi at home was having a bad connection and my phone kept switching to data... Not sure if its the case here but worth a try. 

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I use this app it's great! It even allows for data control over system apps which use data necessarily.

https://www.netguard.me/

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@aneeshbansal 

Here is the steps:

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@aneeshbansal 

Usually the data counter is accurate, but a few people have mentioned similar issues this evening....  data being used up....

Maybe check your data usage history to see whether it matches your counter....

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@aneeshbansal If you allow the apps update while using data, that may be the problem. I had it when the first month, I asked the moderator about that. They told me to disable the background apps running in setting. 

Need Help? Let's chat.