cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data used up already

bradC
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I signed up for the $15 plan with the 250 MB of data earlier this month.  I literally only use the data to visit a survey site once a day, on which I spend about 2 minutes, and sent and received a few photo texts over the course of the month (MMS) (but my understanding was that that's not even supposed to come of the data anyway, yet when I turn off data I cannot send or receive these texts), and yet somehow my phone has managed to use up 269 MB of data already.  So now when I turn the phone on it says "Sign into network" and won't let me access data.  Is there some way to leave data on so that I can still get MMS texts but with out it getting used up on random things in the background that I don't want it doing (like it says 22.2 MB on "Google Services", 111 MB on Google Play Store (which I haven't used once this month!), 3.05 MB on Youtube (Which I never use on my phone), and assorted bits and pieces on maps, Calendar, Drilve, etc. none of which I use.  How do I keep data on so that MMS texts come through but without it being used up on these things that I'm not even using?  Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14

SgdFranklin

Keep an eye on your phone after updates too as some of those Cellular Data settings can be changed, and background app refresh can be enabled.

Muskoka60

This was very helpful... thank you

bradC

Thanks @gblackma . Hope you have a great week too!

bradC

Thanks for letting me know @Jb456 . Good to know!

bradC

Thanks @popping for the additional info and options for getting more data. I think I'll try staying with this (since the price is right at $15), and seeing if I don't go over it next month now that I will turn off the data running in the background for those apps, but if that doesn't work I may need to get more.  Thanks.

@bradC  if you just recently signed up for the Lunar Promo that ran from Jan 20th 2020 and ends tonight Feb 3rd at midnight EST 

If you do a plan change as suggested by @popping  you will loose the promotion as per the terms of said promo.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@bradC 

You need data enabled in order to send and receive picture MMS.  But the MMS data will not use your 250MB data frm your plan as MMS data usage is included with the text message.

Options to get more data:
1. If your current data limit does not meet your 30 days' need, you may change a plan with more data. You can do the plan from self-serve. You get your data back immediately with plan change.
2. If you want to renew the same plan early, you need to create a moderator support ticket using the ? button at the bottom right hand corner of this page. Moderator wait time is 2 days. If your next renewal date is 2 days away, you may just on data diet for a few days until after renewal.
3. You can buy data add-ons $30 1GB data or $10 200MB data. Expensive option

You are welcome @bradC . I'm glad that we could help you . Thanks for choosing my response as the solution . Have a great week. 

@bradC wrote:

Thanks @gblackma @Jb456 @ShawnC13 for your help!  I am going into all those things that used up data and clicking on "Restrict app background data" so will see how that goes as far as usage for the coming month, and if that doesn't bring it down enough then will try just turning off the data all together.  Your solutions were all good!  It would only let me click "accept solution" on one of them, so I clicked that for the first one, but you all had great advice. Thanks!  I will try that for this coming month!

bradC

Thanks @gblackma @Jb456 @ShawnC13 @Anonymous for your help!  I am going into all those things that used up data and clicking on "Restrict app background data" so will see how that goes as far as usage for the coming month, and if that doesn't bring it down enough then will try just turning off the data all together.  Your solutions were all good!  It would only let me click "accept solution" on one of them, so I clicked that for the first one, but you all had great advice. Thanks!  I will try that for this coming month!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Some phones have a setting that automatically flips in and out of data mode when sending or receiving MMS's.

My Samsung S7 running A8 does that. (I'm still not sure exactly what setting that is 🙂 ) And in my case, it doesn't seem to grab that funny little buffer for the counter unlike turning on cell data.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@bradC wrote:

Hi, I signed up for the $15 plan with the 250 MB of data earlier this month.  I literally only use the data to visit a survey site once a day, on which I spend about 2 minutes, and sent and received a few photo texts over the course of the month (MMS) (but my understanding was that that's not even supposed to come of the data anyway, yet when I turn off data I cannot send or receive these texts), and yet somehow my phone has managed to use up 269 MB of data already.  So now when I turn the phone on it says "Sign into network" and won't let me access data.  Is there some way to leave data on so that I can still get MMS texts but with out it getting used up on random things in the background that I don't want it doing (like it says 22.2 MB on "Google Services", 111 MB on Google Play Store (which I haven't used once this month!), 3.05 MB on Youtube (Which I never use on my phone), and assorted bits and pieces on maps, Calendar, Drilve, etc. none of which I use.  How do I keep data on so that MMS texts come through but without it being used up on these things that I'm not even using?  Thanks!

Could the usage come from apps backing up or using location services attached to them?  Go through the setting of your app and restrict them from running in the background and only have them update while on WIFI

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

You have to go into phone settings and turn off you background data and play with your settings.

Example set apps to only run on wifi and restrict them from data.

Also turn off wifi assist if you have an iPhone and wifi+ if it's an android. Where it will automatically connect back to data if wifi signal is low.

And change updates (Google play store and phone updates) to wifi only.

Once you fix all your settings you should be fine to leave your data on but 

As suggest by @gblackma  you can turn data off (I do it this way) until you need to go online. For MMS you can turn data on for a second to send pic the. Turn back off...if someone sends you an MMS it will say "tap to download" and you will have to turn data on for a second for pic to download.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@bradC just enable data on your phone. You just need the setting turned on, no data is required, and you will be able to send mms. To stop your data being used up. You can do such things as enable updates only on WiFi. Disable background programs. Etc Here is an article on doing some of the thing I mentioned https://fossbytes.com/8-best-ways-reduce-data-usage-android/

@bradC wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.