cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage!

brittanyboorman
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there! I just got a new phone yesterday and today received two messages within an hour of each other saying that I was 75 then 95% through my monthly usage. I was on wifi at the time so I do not understand where this data usage is coming from? And how do I check how much data I have left remaining and who will help me fix this?

12 REPLIES 12

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@brittanyboorman wrote:

Hi there! I just got a new phone yesterday and today received two messages within an hour of each other saying that I was 75 then 95% through my monthly usage. I was on wifi at the time so I do not understand where this data usage is coming from? And how do I check how much data I have left remaining and who will help me fix this?

@brittanyboorman there's one other possibility I'd like to rule out:  did you recently use some US Roaming add-on(s)?   On the 10th day when your US Roaming Data add-on(s) are about to expire, you get the same symptom you mentioned: it sends you a text you've used 75% and then shortly thereafter a 95% text.  If this applies to you, then you don't have anything to worry about.  If it doesn't apply to you, what do you see if you log into your self-serve account and on the main page (after logging in) in the My Data and Add-ons section in the bottom half of the page?  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

saeliux
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

That is truly fishy. Somewhere in settings should tell you the apps that is using all the data. Uninstall it temporary and check. 

mimmo

@brittanyboorman   The data counter is actually pretty accurate.  do you have data assist on?  could you have been a in a dead spot.  what were you doing whne you got the messages.  

Data can go pretty quick,  what does your phone data usage say? what apps were using the data?

edit:  you can send a message mods asking for early renewal if you cnat go without data.

brittanyboorman

Thanks, no I actually didn't change carriers.  I just changed phones but my sim card was the same.

mimmo

@brittanyboorman   The data counter is actually pretty accurate.  do you have data assist on?  could you have been a in a dead spot.  what were you doing whne you got the messages.  

Data can go pretty quick,  what does your phone data usage say? what apps were using the data?

@brittanyboorman wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean port from Koodo or Telus..?

Did you move your number from koodo or telus to public

Ive read about some issues with those who did

@brittanyboormanI won't be sure.. For example, the new iOS weighs in at 1.5Gb and with that 3rd party apps have a few hundred Mb to half a gig of updates. It adds up really quickly.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@brittanyboorman 

In your self service account, in the overview page, you can check the My Data and add on section to check your data usage counter.  If you don't see it, it means that you ran out.  You can also check the specifics your usage of data under the Plans and Add on Tab, Usage history tab

brittanyboorman

I'm not sure what you mean port from Koodo or Telus..?

brittanyboorman

I have the 40$ 5 gig plan- definitely should not go that fast...

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@brittanyboormanYou can check your data useage via selfserve.publicmobile.ca How much data do you have? If youa re using the $15 plan.. the 250Mb can go in an instant especially with all the new OSes that had been pushed out the last few weeks.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Did you port from koodo or telus?

You can check your usage from your selfserve

If there is discrepancy click on the question mark and type moderator to send the message to moderators. Make sure you provide relevant screenshots

Need Help? Let's chat.