cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage

steveb11
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I am a new subscriber to Public Mobile. I was previously with PC Mobile, where I had an add-on of 100 MB of data per month. I never came close to using up even that small amount of data because I spend 99 per cent of my time connected to Wi-fi.

I transferred to Public Mobile on Jan. 25. Up to that point in January, I had used something like 2 MB of data with PC Mobile.

I checked my data usage yesterday morning with Public Mobile and it was 0.01 MB of data. All good. I went out for a walk. I was gone one hour. My phone never left my pocket, I never used it while away from the house. The rest of the day spent in my house connected with Wi-fi. I checked my data usage this morning. Now it's 5.7 MB.

I'm concerned about this. I realize it's not a lot of data but when you only have 250 MB of data for a month and you go out of the house and 5 MB gets used up doing nothing in one hour, then this isn't going to be a workable plan for me. And yes, I have background data turned off on my apps.

How does Public Mobile calculate data usage? Is this normal?

I really don't want to now spend my life turning on and turning off my data all the time like some hoarder. I never had to do that with PC Mobile and I had even less data to work with there.

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

NicoleStates
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

No problem. Sorry that happened, that sucks.

steveb11

Thank you.

NicoleStates
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I turn data off until I need it. There can be different apps in the background running data. It's best to only turn it on when you need it, or set your limits .

steveb11

Thank you for responding and thanks for the explanation. I appreciate it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@steveb11 : I don't know about other providers but this place takes a sliding buffer of 5.293MB when you turn on data. As you use data it keeps taking a buffer.

If you wish to see this effect then turn on airplane mode and reset your overview page and you'll see the counter change back down equal to the actual amount used of the last buffer it took.

Need Help? Let's chat.