cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage

southisland
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I got a text one day after paying my monthly bill which said I had used 75% of my data. This is not correct, how do I fix this?  Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

@southisland wrote:

I got a text one day after paying my monthly bill which said I had used 75% of my data. This is not correct, how do I fix this?  Thanks.

While it is possible that the data was used, what sticks out to me is how you rewnewed a day ago. In some rare cases, the data usage counter has been known not to reset properly after a renewal.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Hi @southisland 

You can check your usage history

Check your WiFi assist and make sure that you are not free WiFi hotspot for your neighborhood.

Don't forget to switch WiFi when at home, people have realized they are using data half way through a movie

I highly suggest using data saver it warns quickly when am app is using too much data it saved my data couple of times

Compare your phone usage with online usage

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Check your self serve account.  Make sure you disable auto updates and turn off notifications when not in wifi.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ns/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@southisland 

When you say over day after payment, do you mean after you put money on your account or after you renewed (the system used to money for the btw cycle)?

Circle your renewal date if the counter is really wrong t contact moderators https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@southisland 

I can understand your frustration with this. I faced the same problem years ago. You might have had a feature enabled called Wi-Fi Assist. This feature uses cellular data when you’re connected to a poor Wi-Fi connection. You want to make sure it’s off by going to settings > cellular or settings > mobile data. Then scroll down and tap the slider for Wi-Fi Assist. A lot of apps might have access to your cellular data that you didn’t know about, simply navigate to cellular in your settings and toggle off access to individual apps. PM can’t undo data usage stats, you used them even if you didn’t know you used it.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@southisland check your self serve as @BeachNBeer mentioned. if everything looks good then just ignore the text. public mobile sends incorrect texts at times.

public mobile operates in eastern time. so if you live in western Canada, you need to take that into consideration. 

ie. if your renewal date was oct.15 and you live in b.c. your plan/data will renew on oct.14 @9:00pm. so don't try to use up all your leftover data after this time. otherwise your dipping into your renewed data

metropublic
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@southisland  The Public Mobile data counter in most cases is very accurate. If you checked your usage on your device and/or selfserve and are convinced that you data counter was not reset properly then submit a ticket to Public for investigation.

To submit a ticket hit the ? bottom right of your screen.

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Self serve account shows how much data has been used. Have you checked?

Need Help? Let's chat.