cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage

denise1327
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I recently changed my plan to allow for more data. I changed to the $40 a month plan which gave me 5GB of data. After approximately 40 minutes online I received a data message warning saying I had used 50% of my data! That is ridiculous that in such a short period of time I used 2.5GB. I feel like this company is scamming people by misrepresenting data usage so people will be forced to purchase add ons or increase their plans. The worse part is that you can not even vent your complaints to a live person...your only option is Simon...who in order to talk to Mr. Useless you are forced to use more data or this community section which is made up of frustrated people in the same boat....and yet again forced to use data to communicate. This will be my last month with public mobile. I have never heard of a company that did not offer some form of live support. Public mobile obviously does not care about their customers...I am not sure how they are even still in business with their lack of commitment to the people that support them financially.

10 REPLIES 10

@Metal1967   Ok if your a centennial baby you must share your personal "glitch"!

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thx.. all sorted my mistakes.. lol

Not sure @Metal1967 check your usage both on the phone and in your self service account usage history (after 12 noon est). Contact the moderators if you didn't use it. Click on the green questionmark in the white circle at the bottom right of your screen.  This connects to the autobot Simon.  Type moderator and follow the prompts to get to one (CLICK on account specific question and human and submit a ticket)

@denise1327 

I'm with @computergeek541 on this one. There have been several similar posts n the last week from users saying most or all of their data has been used but they havent gotten the message until 90% has been used. Take some screenshots of your phones data tracker,  app data usage and your overview page and the data usage page. Also check your daily usage which has two "web" updates a day.

Then contact the moderators....if you don't like simon just private message them and tag @CS_Agent in the send bar. Explain the issue and include your name on account, email, ph# and address. They 'll send you to the verification page. Have them look into the issue and they can reset your plan data. There was a similar glitch when they first opened the holiday data and calling minutes to be loaded at the beginning of december. You happened to catch it quicker than most right after you changed plans.

The moderators give excellent customer service 99% of the time. Be nice to them and they are very nice back. Public mobile has great prices but every once in a while the glitch gets you.... instead of someone else. If were forgiving with them hen things screw up they are forgiving with us when we screw up somehow( purchase the wrong add on or change to the wrong plan.)

There maybe an issue.  Have you tried submitting a ticket to the moderators ?

Metal1967

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Make sure you turn off auto updates for apps and also disable GPS.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@denise1327, at least you know the text message stating that you have used 50%, 75%, 90% of data works. 

As soon as you log-in to your self-serve account, you should see Account Status. Scroll down until you see your 'My Data & Add-Ons'

data-usage.png

And if you click on 'View My Usage' it will go into further detail too. 

As you can see in my screenshot, I hardly use my data for 5Gigs worth, but I do use wi-fi if possible, as there are tons of hot-spots from work, school and elsewhere. When I need to use my data, such as driving to a place I have no clue where it is, Google Maps comes in handy. Double-check which apps on your device are eating so much data. There is a game I play that eats alot of data, which reminds me, I need to delete it for that reason, but turn off the data when not in use. 

And the most imprtant thing, actually two things:

1. Welcome to Public Mobile and 
  2. Make sure you set-up the autopay on your account for the $2 savings per month!

yanzhiqiang

I use my phone to monitor my data usage, when I found out which app use lots of data and not important then I turn off data for that app. For example I set up email wifi only. 

It's entriely possible that there could be a data usage account issue at Public Mobile. It's also not hard to use 2.5GB depending on what the connection is being used for. The first that I would do is check your phone's usage history for this one day. 

The text message could have also been sent in error. If you log into your self serve account, how much data does it say that you have remaining?

Need Help? Let's chat.