cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage cycle

plarm
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am paying for a 30-day plan with Autopay.  Is it possible to have a monthly renewal so that my account will be charged on the same day of the month?  It would be much easier for me to track my payment.  Also, it would be easier for me to monitor my data usage if the data usage cycle begins on the same day of the month.

8 REPLIES 8

@rbrisbin wrote:

Thank you. Is there also an app to manage my minutes?

@rbrisbin No idea on that one. Maybe Google it.

rbrisbin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you. Is there also an app to manage my minutes?

@rbrisbin wrote:

I'm also struggling with that, as my phone only allows me to pick a specific date for my billing cycle.

@rbrisbin There are data monitoring apps available. For android I use Data Witness PM available on the PlayStore. Set your plan length, data allotment and any bonus data you have and it will monitor all of them and reset every 30 days. A widget is available.

rbrisbin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm also struggling with that, as my phone only allows me to pick a specific date for my billing cycle.

plarm
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you for the information.  Much appreciated!

@plarm wrote:

I am paying for a 30-day plan with Autopay.  Is it possible to have a monthly renewal so that my account will be charged on the same day of the month?  It would be much easier for me to track my payment.  Also, it would be easier for me to monitor my data usage if the data usage cycle begins on the same day of the month.

This is something that's come up before. I agree that it would be much simpler for the customer if plans lasted one month. I can only think that for whatever reason and  way back, it was decided that plans would be 10, 30, and 90 days in length.  I can think of no other reason that because plans were originally set to those lengths, it may not have been worth the effort for Public Mobile to change. I agree that the decision in hindsight would appear to be puzzling.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@plarm wrote:

Sorry, all current plans are 30 day plans.

Managing your data usage

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Managing-your-data-usage/ta-p/152760

There are a few quick and easy ways for you to track how much data you use.

1. Public Mobile My Account

You can easily view your usage in your Public Mobile Self Serve account by clicking on the Plan and Add-Ons tab, then on Add-On Usage. Here, you will find a summary of your data usage for the current billing cycle.  You can also conveniently select Usage History for a daily, weekly or monthly summary view.

Don’t have a Public Mobile My Account yet? No worries, you can register here.

2. Data Usage Notifications

Public Mobile will notify you via text message when you're close to using all of the data included in your rate plan.  Data notifications indicate how much of your included plan data you have used, so you know when you’re approaching your limit. The default data notifications are set at 75%, 95% and 100% consumption of your data allotments.

Find out more about data notifications on our Community!

3. Data Manager Applications

Did you know? Most smartphones have a pre-installed data manager application which allows you to set cellular data usage notifications and data limit according to your Public Mobile expiry date?

For more information, please click on the link that corresponds with your handsets brand:

Apple

Android

Windows

BlackBerry     > Select your device > Select Settings > Select Connections >Select monitor your wireless data usage

Can’t find a pre-installed data management app in your handset? Don’t worry, visit your mobile application store to find free data management applications:

Apple

Android

Windows

BlackBerry

@IWIK "Data Witness" for Android - complete setup guide can be found here

Managing your data usage

Now that you know how to track your data usage, we want to share some tips and tricks for managing features and applications.

1. Autoplay

Many of the most commonly used applications like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & YouTube offer a neat feature called Autoplay. While using this app, the Autoplay feature will preload and play videos automatically in your “news” feed automatically as you progress through it.

While this is great for quickly watching videos, it can also consume a lot of data. (Did you know that watching a video over your mobile data varies from 0.21 Mbps (Megabytes per seconds) to 5.2 Mbps depending on its quality?)

If you’re finding that you’re going through your data really quickly or know that you’ve almost used your entire allotted amount, setting your Autoplay to work using Wi-Fi only or disabling it may be a good option for you. Learn how to below.

Facebook

Visit the Facebook “Autoplay” help page for more details.

Instagram

Visit the Instagram “Use Less Data” help page for more details.

Twitter

Visit the Twitter “How can I stop videos from autoplaying” help page for more details.

YouTube

Visit the YouTube “Turn-Off Autoplay” help page for more details.

2.GPS Navigation

GPS navigation is another feature that in fact, does require high mobile data. As a substitute, you could use Google Maps, which is a free navigation application that offers the ability to navigate offline. You can also purchase other navigation applications that will allow you to navigate without using data and quickly change spending into an investment.

3.Google Map

Visit the Google Map “Download areas and navigate offline” help page for more details.

Other Applications

Other applications like video games, weather, music streaming can consume a lot of data. The good news is that most smartphones will give you the ability to restrict background data for each application that you use on a daily basis. We invite you to visit your handset manufacturer website for more details.

You now have the tools to take control of your data usage. Have other questions? Be sure to check out our Community. It’s the place to get help, give help and share ideas!

-Public Mobile Community team

Anonymous
Not applicable

@plarm wrote:

No. Only 30 days.

Need Help? Let's chat.