cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data speed

peterbingsu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

i am new to PM. I know the speed at 3G. Is it slower than LTE at Koodo?

thanks

12 REPLIES 12

@MiniMan wrote:

Slower data speeds are why PM rates are so low. I have streamed video and music and there is hardly any difference. The only time you will notice it is when you download a large file. 

I find that the rates at Public Mobile aren't always that great. Some of the time, Public Mobile ends up playing catch up with other full service brands plan wise. There are times where at quick glance, it looks as if Public Mobile has matched Koodo or Fido, but then people realize that the speeds are throttled to 3Mbps while some of the other brands aren't.  Really, the reward discounts are probably the main factors that gain/retain customers for Public Mobile.

MiniMan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Slower data speeds are why PM rates are so low. I have streamed video and music and there is hardly any difference. The only time you will notice it is when you download a large file. 

@ssaulnier if you just switched then it takes a few days for the throttled lte to kick in!   

ssaulnier

I did a speed test before joining PM from Telus and I was getting 141mbps download and 26mbps upload.  Same test with PM and I'm getting 77.2mbps and 17.7mbps.  I guess I should've done some research before switching.

peterbingsu

Thanks

I have gotten over 12Mbps on HSPA+ on occasion in my area. Still I haven't seen a large difference from the throttled 3g. It's kind of a tortoise and hare thing I'd say.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

The latency is a little higher on the HSPA network though in my experience. I would take throttled to 3G speeds LTE over actual 3G even if the speed is a little lower. 

MiniMan

I've noticed that when phone is set for LTE, the download speed is 3meg per sec, upload is 6meg per sec. if you set your phone to 3g, the download speed is 6meg per second and upload is 3meg per sec. 

LTE      3G        Direction

---------------------------------------

3.0  <>  5.8   Download speed

6.3  <>  3.5   Upload speed

@peterbingsu 

If you aren't a customer of Public Mobile, many are scared off at the thought of 3G like speeds. In reality, most don't notice any difference with what they use data for.

AE_Collector

peterbingsu

Thanks

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@peterbingsu 

PM is LTE with capped 3Mbps speed or full 3G speed which is higher than 3Mbps.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@peterbingsu wrote:

Hi,

i am new to PM. I know the speed at 3G. Is it slower than LTE at Koodo?

thanks

@peterbingsu  Public also uses the LTE network for data and texts but they throttle it fown to 3G speeds (3Mbps). Yes, Koodo is faster because they don't throttle down their connection.

Need Help? Let's chat.