cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data-only plan with Google Voice

MathewSuta
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello!

My grandmother is finally making her way into the 21st century and leaving her old flip phone behind and getting a smartphone so she doesn't have to rely on my brother "calling" Uber for her. I'm between the $20 Data-only plan or the $30 500MB (+500 autopay). If she were to go with the $20 plan would she be able to us Google Voice for calling fairly easily? I have to assume it would all work fine but I want to make sure there wouldn't be any hicoughs for her.

Thanks so much for your input!

15 REPLIES 15

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If she is coming from a flip phone I do think moving to Hangouts could be an issue. Also if you run out of data, no more calling. Period. Not so with unl calling plan. Also, with a data only plan, how would you receive calls on Hangouts.

I would vote for the $30 plan, $18 for the first 6months plus $25 credit upfront. 

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I feel the need to say why Google Voice is not the best option for this data plan.

That is not to say Google Voice does not work, but you do need to be aware of the limitations of the service.

If you are using Google Voice as a Canadian, you will not get a phone number. You can make long distance calls to Canada and the US for free. However, caller ID will not work, and the receiver will have anonymous on their caller ID, and assume it is a spam call. With Hang outs dialer, you were able to set up a cell phone number for Google Voice to spoof, but that feature is currently deactivated.

You can get a US phone number with Google Voice, but you need to register as an American, in a US location.

You might not get the quality you expect. Like most VOIP applications, when there is a reliable internet connection, the sound quality is excellent! When there is a poor or erratic connection, VOIP is awful! Google Voice is better than most VOIP apps, but it still suffers the same problems.

I am not saying this is not a solutions that should be explored, but I am saying, it might not be the best solution for Grandma!

Of course Google Voice would work on data-only plan.  The only thing you need to remmember is that when you run out of data, you won't be able to do phone calls either.

Indican

This is true.  You'd have to account for that too, especially if the person isn't used to smart phones and the operating systems/settings.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Indican wrote:

According to Google Voice, a call over data uses about 0.2MB of data per minute, so I imagine it would depend on how much calling she's doing.

It's also data leakage from apps etc, accedental update, maps, Google etc...  We always see people saying data was used and then they find out some app or update was the culprate. 

Indican

According to Google Voice, a call over data uses about 0.2MB of data per minute, so I imagine it would depend on how much calling she's doing.

@mimmo wrote:

@MathewSuta honestly I would go with

20$ provincial talk +1gb data addon depending on usage that can last a long time

25$,talk text +1gb data as above

10$, 50 min 50 text +, 1gb data +long distance addon (depending how much she talks) 

30$ talk text +500+500 plan.

Of all the above the 30$ plan is the best I think , as you can get 10$ off for 6 months and if you refer a friend you get 25+25. 

Once the 6 months are up then re evaluate.  Also another reason not to do data only is if accedently she runs out of data, she will still have a phone number. 

+1.  With the promotion, $30 is really $20 for six months.  This will give time to test calling with a data app, regardless of which app.  After 6 months of testing, a decision can be made on what is the best way forward.

With respect to Google voice, it can work for making and receiving calls.  However, the number is US only and it can be punishing on the wallets of those who choose to call back using their phone plan and not an app.  Also getting a Google voice number is no longer straightforward these days.  It requires access to a real US number to receive the verification code and login from a US IP address.  

MathewSuta

She doesn't currently use her cell phone for any calling, but I am leaning toward the $30 plan because I think she'd love the idea of calling anyone and talking for as much as she likes for no extra money. 

I think I'm going to go for the $30, at least for the first 6 months since she'll get $10 off for a bit anyway. We can then reassess her needs.

Thanks for your input!

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@MathewSuta honestly I would go with

20$ provincial talk +1gb data addon depending on usage that can last a long time

25$,talk text +1gb data as above

10$, 50 min 50 text +, 1gb data +long distance addon (depending how much she talks) 

30$ talk text +500+500 plan.

Of all the above the 30$ plan is the best I think , as you can get 10$ off for 6 months and if you refer a friend you get 25+25. 

Once the 6 months are up then re evaluate.  Also another reason not to do data only is if accedently she runs out of data, she will still have a phone number. 

MathewSuta

Not legit Google Voice, I guess. I meant using something like Hangouts Dialler. My mistake! Smiley Embarassed

Byl18
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If you"ve got Google Voice number set up correctly, it should work with data only plan.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@MathewSuta If you are willing to pay $20 or $30, isn't the $10 (50 min talk/text) with 200 min add-on ($8) and 1 GB data ($30) not enough? If she uses the phone to talk a lot with friends and family, then this might not be a good idea. However, it's always better to have a direct call line than other voip options. 

Tav
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Can you get Google Voice in Canada?

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

She can always try the $20 plan and if it's not enough she can change to the $30 plan. Just so you are aware, if you change plans part way through the month you forfeit the remainder of your original plan and have to immediately pay for the new one, but there is an option to have it change automatically on the plan renewal date.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MathewSuta- As long as she has enough data, why wouldn't it work.  Also, if Google voice isn't the best option for her, there is also Fongo.  It's an IP phone service.  You can get a number in all major Canadian cities.

Need Help? Let's chat.