cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data only plan for tractor GPS

matthebb
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is there a data only plan option that would allow me to have a separate SIM card for another device that is used on a much more occasional basis than 1 GB/month? I farm and require a SIM card for my tractor GPS system, and it does not allow for me to use my phone as a hotspot for that system, so I am stuck with having a separate SIM card for this. It only ends up getting used for a couple months a year, so full year plans become pricey. 

Any good options out there? I love PM for my cell, would love to give them the business for this too. 

12 REPLIES 12

shep22
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@matthebb am glad it worked out for you good luck  stay safe

matthebb

Creative, I never thought about the 25/ 1 GB plan. Thank you!  This is another good option

matthebb

Yes a nano SIM would work. I've learned more recently that my system uses around 4 mb/hour of use, so your idea makes sense. Plus I could put on a data add on just in case I go over. Thanks!

Lucky Mobile has a data-only plan for 750MB for $15/30 days (LTE throttled to 3G speeds). When the 750MB is consumed, data still works at something like 128Kbps.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @matthebb 

You could have it expire for 90 days at the time. You will probably have to pay for at least two cycles that you will not use.

It may be cheaper maybe to buy a handful of sims, they are now $5, 

Also check if it's compatible with telus network

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@matthebb I would think about a standalone GPS unit. There will be no monthly fee.  Some brands might charge for updates to the maps.

Is the function just for GPS or for service records or? Maybe a very sophisticated GPS system to maximize harvest? I'm assuming there is no chance that a SIM card without activated cell service won't do the trick? For example GPS doesn't use data, only downloading associated maps needs data. If girls service info I would think they would have the ability for it to connect to wifi once parked somewhere with wifi. But then I wonder why they didn't make it able to connect to a phone hot spot.

AE_Collector

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@matthebb Move your phone SIM to the tractor as needed. Get a spare SIM now for $5 just in case you damage the active one. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@matthebb , you can manage your plan to suit your usage.  During the off season, switch to the cheapest plan and use the available option to furlough the account in suspension for up to 90 days in between renewals to lessen the costs.  For the months that you really need the service and data, you can switch to the $25/1GB plan.  This is a better price than the $30/1GB data only plan.  

shep22
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@matthebb hi why not just get the 15 dollar plan that will be 13 with auto pay it comes with 250mb per 30 day cycle it should be more than enough for gps ,that's if a triple punch sim will fit in your tracker I assume it is a nano sim?

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@matthebb the 1 gig $30 data only plan. If you are willing to spend $65, $5 for a SIM, and $60 for 2 months. Then let it expire.

Screenshot_20200328-193218.jpg

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@matthebb wrote:

Is there a data only plan option that would allow me to have a separate SIM card for another device that is used on a much more occasional basis than 1 GB/month? I farm and require a SIM card for my tractor GPS system, and it does not allow for me to use my phone as a hotspot for that system, so I am stuck with having a separate SIM card for this. It only ends up getting used for a couple months a year, so full year plans become pricey. 

Any good options out there? I love PM for my cell, would love to give them the business for this too. 

PM has an 1GB only plan for $30.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans/30for1GB-4GLTE

Please note that you cannot buy any minutes add-on for this plan. 

Need Help? Let's chat.