cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Data not working


@KaitM2434 wrote:

Downloaded the 9.3.5 and data works nowSmiley Happy thank you so much! 


Glad you got it working @KaitM2434!  Welcome aboard!

Mayor / Maire

Re: Data not working

Great stuff, @KaitM2434!  Glad you could help, @CalgaryBen.  I'll never understand why people lag so far behind on OS updates.  I can see deferring it a week or two to make sure there are no major issues with a new version, but 9.3.5--correct me if I'm wrong here--has been available for a very long time.


>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Data not working


@srlawren wrote:

I'll never understand why people lag so far behind on OS updates.  I can see deferring it a week or two to make sure there are no major issues with a new version, but 9.3.5--correct me if I'm wrong here--has been available for a very long time.


iOS 9.3.5 was released in August 2016, but I suspect a lot of people find old phones stashed away in drawers and cupboards, which haven't been updated in a while (and perhaps don't know to update them)!  These are great phones for kids or aging parents to have, with minimal investment.

 

 

I often defer Windows updates as long as I can because I don't want to reboot.  Maybe it's a bit of that... I'll just put it off until I have no choice...

Mayor / Maire

Re: Data not working


@srlawren wrote:

Great stuff, @KaitM2434!  Glad you could help, @CalgaryBen.  I'll never understand why people lag so far behind on OS updates.  I can see deferring it a week or two to make sure there are no major issues with a new version, but 9.3.5--correct me if I'm wrong here--has been available for a very long time.


But...but...but...I thought Apple made everything so intuitive and easy and seamless and brainless and non-technical that anybody and everybody could do everything on them. I'm so disillusioned. Smiley Happy

Mayor / Maire

Re: Data not working


@CalgaryBen wrote:


(and perhaps don't know to update them)!  


@CalgaryBen interesting.  Does iOS not periodically nag you via notifications when there are outstanding updates?  I know Android definitely does.  You can dismiss it, but a day or two later it comes back.  You can keep dismissing it, but it will keep returning until you eventually install.

 

 


@CalgaryBen wrote:

I often defer Windows updates as long as I can because I don't want to reboot.  Maybe it's a bit of that... I'll just put it off until I have no choice...


@CalgaryBen me too, and I wait a little on my Android updates too, and do them at a time where I don't mind being unreachable for a few mins while it does it's thing during the reboot.  

 

 


@z10user4 wrote:


But...but...but...I thought Apple made everything so intuitive and easy and seamless and brainless and non-technical that anybody and everybody could do everything on them. I'm so disillusioned. Smiley Happy


 @z10user4 LOL don't get me started.  Smiley Wink  Robot LOL


>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Data not working


@srlawren wrote:

Does iOS not periodically nag you via notifications when there are outstanding updates?  I know Android definitely does.  You can dismiss it, but a day or two later it comes back.  You can keep dismissing it, but it will keep returning until you eventually install.

To be honest, I'm not too sure, since I never let myself lag too far behind (and you can't roll back to test)!  The "nagginess" can probably be set by Apple depending on severity.  For example, I'm on iOS 12.1.2 at the moment, even though 12.1.3 has been out for 2-3 weeks.  The device hasn't even notified me or displayed a red (!) on Settings icon... so I take that to mean Apple deems it not to be critical.  I'm avoiding it myself due to some issues that people have encountered, with losing data connectivity.

 

I suspect older versions of iOS may also be less forceful or in-your-face (compare Win10 versus even Win7).  So, with the OP's iOS 7, I imagine it's not very naggy at all.  Or, they've gotten in the habit of dismissing any dialog that gets in their way, regardless of what it says!

 

@CalgaryBen me too, and I wait a little on my Android updates too, and do them at a time where I don't mind being unreachable for a few mins while it does it's thing during the reboot.  


Ditto.  When I'm ready to upgrade, I set up the iPhone to upgrade while I'm asleep, so that it's ready in the morning.  For my Windows PCs... I wait for a bluescreen or the system to get so bogged down that it's unusable, and I'm forced to reboot... and then I get 954 Windows updates accumulated from the last 4 months that I failed to reboot my machine.  Time for a Timmie's run!