cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data not working

KaitM2434
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello I have an iPhone 4S and paid for the unlimited talk and text plan with 5 G data with public mobile and I can't get the data to work.  I have tried doing a factory reset and have changed my APN settings but it's still not working.  I do not have any options to change MMS and proxy settings.  Anyone know what's wrong? 

15 REPLIES 15

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@srlawren wrote:

Does iOS not periodically nag you via notifications when there are outstanding updates?  I know Android definitely does.  You can dismiss it, but a day or two later it comes back.  You can keep dismissing it, but it will keep returning until you eventually install.

To be honest, I'm not too sure, since I never let myself lag too far behind (and you can't roll back to test)!  The "nagginess" can probably be set by Apple depending on severity.  For example, I'm on iOS 12.1.2 at the moment, even though 12.1.3 has been out for 2-3 weeks.  The device hasn't even notified me or displayed a red (!) on Settings icon... so I take that to mean Apple deems it not to be critical.  I'm avoiding it myself due to some issues that people have encountered, with losing data connectivity.

I suspect older versions of iOS may also be less forceful or in-your-face (compare Win10 versus even Win7).  So, with the OP's iOS 7, I imagine it's not very naggy at all.  Or, they've gotten in the habit of dismissing any dialog that gets in their way, regardless of what it says!

@CalgaryBen me too, and I wait a little on my Android updates too, and do them at a time where I don't mind being unreachable for a few mins while it does it's thing during the reboot.  

Ditto.  When I'm ready to upgrade, I set up the iPhone to upgrade while I'm asleep, so that it's ready in the morning.  For my Windows PCs... I wait for a bluescreen or the system to get so bogged down that it's unusable, and I'm forced to reboot... and then I get 954 Windows updates accumulated from the last 4 months that I failed to reboot my machine.  Time for a Timmie's run!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@CalgaryBen wrote:

(and perhaps don't know to update them)!  

@CalgaryBen interesting.  Does iOS not periodically nag you via notifications when there are outstanding updates?  I know Android definitely does.  You can dismiss it, but a day or two later it comes back.  You can keep dismissing it, but it will keep returning until you eventually install.

@CalgaryBen wrote:

I often defer Windows updates as long as I can because I don't want to reboot.  Maybe it's a bit of that... I'll just put it off until I have no choice...

@CalgaryBen me too, and I wait a little on my Android updates too, and do them at a time where I don't mind being unreachable for a few mins while it does it's thing during the reboot.  

@Anonymous wrote:

But...but...but...I thought Apple made everything so intuitive and easy and seamless and brainless and non-technical that anybody and everybody could do everything on them. I'm so disillusioned. 🙂

@Anonymous LOL don't get me started.  😉  Robot LOL

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

Great stuff, @KaitM2434!  Glad you could help, @CalgaryBen.  I'll never understand why people lag so far behind on OS updates.  I can see deferring it a week or two to make sure there are no major issues with a new version, but 9.3.5--correct me if I'm wrong here--has been available for a very long time.

But...but...but...I thought Apple made everything so intuitive and easy and seamless and brainless and non-technical that anybody and everybody could do everything on them. I'm so disillusioned. 🙂

CalgaryBen

@srlawren wrote:

I'll never understand why people lag so far behind on OS updates.  I can see deferring it a week or two to make sure there are no major issues with a new version, but 9.3.5--correct me if I'm wrong here--has been available for a very long time.

iOS 9.3.5 was released in August 2016, but I suspect a lot of people find old phones stashed away in drawers and cupboards, which haven't been updated in a while (and perhaps don't know to update them)!  These are great phones for kids or aging parents to have, with minimal investment.

I often defer Windows updates as long as I can because I don't want to reboot.  Maybe it's a bit of that... I'll just put it off until I have no choice...

srlawren

Great stuff, @KaitM2434!  Glad you could help, @CalgaryBen.  I'll never understand why people lag so far behind on OS updates.  I can see deferring it a week or two to make sure there are no major issues with a new version, but 9.3.5--correct me if I'm wrong here--has been available for a very long time.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CalgaryBen

@KaitM2434 wrote:

Downloaded the 9.3.5 and data works now:) thank you so much! 

Glad you got it working @KaitM2434!  Welcome aboard!

KaitM2434

Downloaded the 9.3.5 and data works now:) thank you so much! 

CalgaryBen

@KaitM2434 wrote:

I am downloading right now to the most recent one it will allow me to lol. Hopefully it'll fix the problem 

Is it downloading iOS 7.2.1, or iOS 9.3.5?  If it's 7.2.1, then you actually have an iPhone 4, not a 4S.  And that means a whole different set of steps to get the data working.  If it's loading iOS 9.3.5, then it will just magically work once it boots up with the new iOS!

KaitM2434

I am downloading right now to the most recent one it will allow me to lol. Hopefully it'll fix the problem 

CalgaryBen

@KaitM2434 wrote:

Hi my phone says it is version 7.1.1 and the carrier says Telus 16.0 

This explains the data not working (using Telus profile)!!  What is the latest iOS that you're able to download (Settings --> General --> Software Update)?  You don't have to download the latest, but it's helpful to, if you want to get everything working!  You'll of course need to be connected to WiFi...

KaitM2434

Hi my phone says it is version 7.1.1 and the carrier says Telus 16.0 

CalgaryBen

@KaitM2434 just to add to my last note... if you're on iOS 9.3.5, but your Carrier file is something other than Public Mobile 24.0, perhaps your ability to download the latest version is impeded by not having a data connection (Catch-22).  Are you connected to a WiFi access point (e.g. home or work WiFi)?  You'll need to have a WiFi connection initially to download the latest carrier profile, which you can force via Settings --> General --> Software Update.

Once this carrier profile is installed, your cellular data should work...

CalgaryBen

@KaitM2434 wrote:

Hello I have an iPhone 4S and paid for the unlimited talk and text plan with 5 G data with public mobile and I can't get the data to work.  I have tried doing a factory reset and have changed my APN settings but it's still not working.  I do not have any options to change MMS and proxy settings.  Anyone know what's wrong? 

@KaitM2434 just to confirm you've got the latest... what iOS do you have (Settings --> General --> About --> Version)?  iPhone 4S is capable of iOS 9.3.5 (if it's iOS 7.2.1, and you can't upgrade it, then it's an iPhone 4 and not a 4S).  Just below the iOS version, you should see the Carrier version, which should be Public Mobile 24.0.  This file configures your APN and other settings.

If all of these are up to the latest, then make sure you don't have a custom profile overriding these (often installed from a different carrier).  Settings --> General --> Reset --> Reset Network Settings --> (Passcode if prompted) --> Reset Network Settings (to confirm).  Wait for the device to clear settings and reboot.  You'll need to re-connect to WiFi access points, etc., but if this was blocking your cellular data connectivity, this should no longer be blocking.

srlawren

@Dunkman wrote:

@KaitM2434

Some older models of iPhones do not allow you to manually update your APNs. If this is your case, using your mobile phone, visit co.nz. This will automatically download the required APNs in your phone settings.

@Dunkman IIRC, @CalgaryBen said the 4S can support a newer iOS version than the 4, and thus doesn't need the unlockit workaround.  It might just need a carrier update?  Anyway hopefully Ben can hop in here to help out @KaitM2434.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@KaitM2434

Some older models of iPhones do not allow you to manually update your APNs. If this is your case, using your mobile phone, visit co.nz. This will automatically download the required APNs in your phone settings.

Need Help? Let's chat.