cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Data not working

Hello I have an iPhone 4S and paid for the unlimited talk and text plan with 5 G data with public mobile and I can't get the data to work.  I have tried doing a factory reset and have changed my APN settings but it's still not working.  I do not have any options to change MMS and proxy settings.  Anyone know what's wrong? 

Mayor / Maire

Re: Data not working

@KaitM2434

Some older models of iPhones do not allow you to manually update your APNs. If this is your case, using your mobile phone, visit co.nz. This will automatically download the required APNs in your phone settings.

Mayor / Maire

@Dunkman wrote:

@KaitM2434

Some older models of iPhones do not allow you to manually update your APNs. If this is your case, using your mobile phone, visit co.nz. This will automatically download the required APNs in your phone settings.

@Dunkman IIRC, @CalgaryBen said the 4S can support a newer iOS version than the 4, and thus doesn't need the unlockit workaround.  It might just need a carrier update?  Anyway hopefully Ben can hop in here to help out @KaitM2434.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@KaitM2434 wrote:

Hello I have an iPhone 4S and paid for the unlimited talk and text plan with 5 G data with public mobile and I can't get the data to work.  I have tried doing a factory reset and have changed my APN settings but it's still not working.  I do not have any options to change MMS and proxy settings.  Anyone know what's wrong? 

@KaitM2434 just to confirm you've got the latest... what iOS do you have (Settings --> General --> About --> Version)?  iPhone 4S is capable of iOS 9.3.5 (if it's iOS 7.2.1, and you can't upgrade it, then it's an iPhone 4 and not a 4S).  Just below the iOS version, you should see the Carrier version, which should be Public Mobile 24.0.  This file configures your APN and other settings.

If all of these are up to the latest, then make sure you don't have a custom profile overriding these (often installed from a different carrier).  Settings --> General --> Reset --> Reset Network Settings --> (Passcode if prompted) --> Reset Network Settings (to confirm).  Wait for the device to clear settings and reboot.  You'll need to re-connect to WiFi access points, etc., but if this was blocking your cellular data connectivity, this should no longer be blocking.

@KaitM2434 just to add to my last note... if you're on iOS 9.3.5, but your Carrier file is something other than Public Mobile 24.0, perhaps your ability to download the latest version is impeded by not having a data connection (Catch-22).  Are you connected to a WiFi access point (e.g. home or work WiFi)?  You'll need to have a WiFi connection initially to download the latest carrier profile, which you can force via Settings --> General --> Software Update.

Once this carrier profile is installed, your cellular data should work...

Hi my phone says it is version 7.1.1 and the carrier says Telus 16.0 

@KaitM2434 wrote:

Hi my phone says it is version 7.1.1 and the carrier says Telus 16.0 

This explains the data not working (using Telus profile)!!  What is the latest iOS that you're able to download (Settings --> General --> Software Update)?  You don't have to download the latest, but it's helpful to, if you want to get everything working!  You'll of course need to be connected to WiFi...

I am downloading right now to the most recent one it will allow me to lol. Hopefully it'll fix the problem 

@KaitM2434 wrote:

I am downloading right now to the most recent one it will allow me to lol. Hopefully it'll fix the problem 

Is it downloading iOS 7.2.1, or iOS 9.3.5?  If it's 7.2.1, then you actually have an iPhone 4, not a 4S.  And that means a whole different set of steps to get the data working.  If it's loading iOS 9.3.5, then it will just magically work once it boots up with the new iOS!

Downloaded the 9.3.5 and data works nowSmiley Happy thank you so much!