cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data not working "Sign into network"

Crystilia
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Starting from yesterday evening, my data does not work even though I have only used 55.88/250MB. It was working fine one minute and then the next it stopped. There's a notification that pops up when I turn on my data telling me to sign into network "Public Mobile". When I click on it, there's just a blank screen and nothing happens. I have the $15 plan for 30 days with 

• - 100 Minutes Canada-Wide Talk + Unlimited Incoming Minutes
  • - 250 MB at 3G speed
  • - Unlimited International Text

I have tried resetting my phone, taking the sim card out and back in, reporting lost/found. Any solutions?

20 REPLIES 20

Crystilia

@computergeek541 Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. I just checked my billing cycle and you are correct. It's not on the 1st of each month but on the 12th instead. I changed it on my phone and it shows up correctly now!  

@Dogbert wrote:

Does your voice calling work?

Anychance have you accidentally turned off mobile data?

The sign in to network message wouldn't actually display if mobile data was disabled.  The error message is the result of the phone have data turned on but that a check of the connection has determined that internet isn't usable.

@JackQuint wrote:

Do you have another phone to test the SIM card in? If you do, give that a try. That will at least tell you whether the SIM card's faulty and will need to be replaced.

That message is not caused by a bad sim.  It is displayed when there is no data on the account, just as others have already noticed.

@Crystilia , @ I have done some testing before and that message means that there is a connection but otherwise no internet access.  I deliberately used up all my data and that exact message came up on the screen. That message will also show if you have data enabled on your device but have something such as a $10 plan that doesn't have any data.

If you have a working Wi-Fi connection and reload a webpage that you tried to use when that error message came up, you'll be redirected to a Public Mobile website that says that you don't have data or that your account is suspended.  Ironically, without working cellular data, you can read that warning message when that information might haved proved useful.

Also, if you billing cycle didn't start on July 1, the data usage in your screenshot wouldn't be accurate.  The first day of each billing cycle can also be on different days of the month.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Crystilia 

You should have received a text from here at 75% and 95% usage warning you of your imminent full consumption. Then as you found, it just stops.

The data manager's on phones often don't have a 30 day option. So you would need to keep changing it to match each new 30 day term.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Crystilia thanks for posting screenshots. They are very helpful to getting to the cause.

Yes according to pm you have used up all your data.

No need for a new sim, as they hardly fail. 

As for factory resets network resets etc.  They are typically not needed if data was working previously. 

@Crystilia hi yea you have to make sure apps and other things don't update when you have data enabled you have to go into your settings and change these things  so they only update on wifi good luckSmiley Happy

Crystilia

@Dogbert Calling and texting works fine. Also, data was on with wifi turned off so it doesn't look like it's that.

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Does your voice calling work?

Anychance have you accidentally turned off mobile data?

Crystilia

@RossN @JackQuint I guess so 😞 Not sure how I managed to do that so fast but I'll wait for the next cycle then haha.

Thanks for trying to help everyone, I appreciate it! 

@Crystilia hi according to your data and addons your 250 is all used up

JackQuint

@Crystilia wrote:

@JackQuint Just tried and the same thing happened

If the same thing happened in a different phone, you need to replace the SIM card. You can pick one up or message a mod to see if PM will swap it for you. 

Unless you've simply used all your data as @RossN just posted. In which case you need to buy more or wait until your next billing cycle.

Crystilia

@mimmo My data doesn't show up on the add-ons section 😕

I do have a limit set on the phone. I have a warning set to 200 MB and the limit at 250MB. When I turn the data on, the usage counter still goes up but I can't actually use it to access anything.

Here's some screenshots:

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Typically if data was working then stops that means you have run out of data.  lets rule that option in or out first.  if the data addon appears you still have data. if its missing its used up.

after that

• is your phone limiting data at a certain limit
  • data turned off

edit beaten by acouple posts.  can you post a screenshot of your addons?

@JackQuint  is that right?

Crystilia

@JC29 Hmmm, I'm checking and it just says "Amount used" but no actual number. I went into my usage history to add it up manually and it was around 49 MB.

JackQuint

@RossN wrote:

@Crystilia  hi maybe try a network reset

Above, the OP already said they did a full reset on the phone ...

Crystilia

@JackQuint Just tried and the same thing happened

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Crystilia  hi maybe try a network reset

JC29
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Another thing to consider is logging into your account and checking your useage there.  I know smart phones now have a data counter but then sometimes these numbers don't match with the actual useage that your mobile provider counts as useage

JackQuint

Do you have another phone to test the SIM card in? If you do, give that a try. That will at least tell you whether the SIM card's faulty and will need to be replaced.

Need Help? Let's chat.