cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data not working on iphone

KevinW1699
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I bought a PM SIM card in April for my dad and he recently realized that the data never worked on his phone. He has an iphone 7plus and I made sure that the APN setting is correct. I also restarted his phone many times and the data still doesn't work. I also checked and made sure that his phone works on PM network. The talk and text works fine.

He has $15 plan with 250MB data. When I logged onto the self service page under "my plan & add-ons", I can see that his plan shows 250 MB data. When I went to the "overview" tab and under "account status", it only shows "amount used" beside "data& add-ons". When I click into "view my usage", it only shows voice minutes used and text message used. It does not show data at all. Does it mean PM never activated his data service?

6 REPLIES 6

It's a longshot but...

Power down phone. Pop out the sim card for a moment, then put it back in. Reboot phone.

Worth a try. Let us know how you make out.

Good luck.

@KevinW1699 

Can you try the SIM card in another phone?  To determine whether it is hardware issue versus Public mobile service problem.  

I have feeling it is the hardware setup issue.  Maybe try factory reset (back up phone first).

KevinW1699
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Dunkman It looks exactly like your screen shot. I also tried the network reset, it is still not working. 

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@KevinW1699Have you checed under Settings -> Cellular -> Data is turned on? You shouldn't need to use APN for iPhone 7 if you are using iOS 12, I won't recommend fiddling with it.

The cellular setting profiles will be automatically downloaded. Make sure you have the latest carrier profile installed you can find it under General -> About, so on my iphone it is 36.0.1. When you update the OS the latest carrier profiles will be downloaded or at least prompted to be installed.

Eliminate if it is the phone first.. also try to see if the data work on your phone by swapping the SIM. The phone doesn't happen to be from the States, ie Sprint or TMobile?.. they use bands that is not used in Canada.

What else can you try? Change the plan? Or just contact the Moderators?

Carrier info iOSCarrier info iOS

IMG_0002.PNG

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@KevinW1699 

If you see the 250 mB in My Data & Add-Ons section in overview page, you should have data available.

For example, it should look like the following

Data & Add-Ons                              Amount Used

100 Minutes Canada-Wide Talk      0  /  100 MIN
250 MB at 3G speed                      38.844  /  250 MB

You might want try a network reset and restart your dad's phone.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@KevinW1699 wrote:

I bought a PM SIM card in April for my dad and he recently realized that the data never worked on his phone. He has an iphone 7plus and I made sure that the APN setting is correct. I also restarted his phone many times and the data still doesn't work. I also checked and made sure that his phone works on PM network. The talk and text works fine.

He has $15 plan with 250MB data. When I logged onto the self service page under "my plan & add-ons", I can see that his plan shows 250 MB data. When I went to the "overview" tab and under "account status", it only shows "amount used" beside "data& add-ons". When I click into "view my usage", it only shows voice minutes used and text message used. It does not show data at all. Does it mean PM never activated his data service?

Maybe post a screen snip of the overview page. Blank out personal info of course.

He might still be on an original version of that plan. Not long after its introduction, they added unlimited incoming calling.

To NOT see a line about data in the Data & Add-ons area means that the data is consumed. If you father has left data mode on the whole time then things might have used data anyway. Did he sign up for that plan and add autopay as well.

Need Help? Let's chat.