cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data not working for over a week (SOLVED)

kekly
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello

I am right in the middle of my 90 day plan, and data suddenly stopped working. Calling and texting still works fine. More than half of my data is still available, and my next payment isn't due until the end of January.

I have tried:

Restarting my phone

Taking out and putting back the SIM card

Turning airplane mode on/off

Did network reset

I checked my settings and data is on, and I am still under the limit that I have set on the phone itself. I really hope that I am just overcomplicating things but what else can I try?

I actually messaged the mod team first and they suggested some of the steps above, but have not heard back since Thursday and I am getting a little ansty Robot Sad

18 REPLIES 18

Charr

Ill  try it in another phone in a bit here. I have to do a few things and ill be back. I need all the help I can get lol. thank you thus far though

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Charr

Yeah 8.1 hmm.

I'm not certain if it's just Freedom that allows access or if it's any other SIM.

The other option is some kind of sideload that supposedly opens up the APN. Although even that I read earlier someone still didn't get access.

The other more harsh option which is also deeper technical is to revert back to an earlier Android.

Will your SIM work in another unlocked phone? If so then that would at least verify that the service is working.

Charr

OOps **shouldnt play...not should lol

Charr

Ugh...yyyes lol. My phone is also a dual sim card and I was messing around with the sim slots that update day also.(No Idea what I was thinking  there lol) anywho I hit update instead of postpone(not on purpose cause i had no idea what the dual sim card slots was/is about) anyway now my slot1 is locked(I think) to Telus...and now both slots flash back and forth between available and unavailable...booo 😞 and everytime i try and mess with my mobile network setting/data stuff it renders my sim card to my phone or phone useless to sim, not sure which way it goes lol and I have to factory reset my phone...like probably 15 + times over the last month. Know anything about dual sim slots. Im not very tech savy and prolly should play with stuff I dont have a clue about lol 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Charr wrote:

Hi, um im just gonna hop on this here train info I do need er will need I think lol. So what about when the + sign is not present lol. Its just disappeared and I cant add APN. Makes for a sad lil panda lol. Oh and FYI my phone is ASUS Zenfone M1. I havent been able to use any of my data at all the 30day round. Should be renewing today but not going to if I cant solve the data problem. Id like to know what Public is going to do about the 6 missed last round also. But thats another issue with a MOD not your peeps problem i know 😄 Anywho if anyone is out there with a solution for my lil issue. 

Cheers,

Charr

Did your phone possibly get updated to Android 8.1?

If so, then you could try a Freedom Mobile SIM and apparently it'll give you access to APN settings to be able to add one for here.

Then there are rather deeper technical workarounds.

Charr

Hi, um im just gonna hop on this here train info I do need er will need I think lol. So what about when the + sign is not present lol. Its just disappeared and I cant add APN. Makes for a sad lil panda lol. Oh and FYI my phone is ASUS Zenfone M1. I havent been able to use any of my data at all the 30day round. Should be renewing today but not going to if I cant solve the data problem. Id like to know what Public is going to do about the 6 missed last round also. But thats another issue with a MOD not your peeps problem i know 😄 Anywho if anyone is out there with a solution for my lil issue. 

Cheers,

Charr

krzcnck
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@srlawren wrote:

I'm curious, how does an APN spontaneously become a problem?  @krzcnck had you manually made a change to it?  What exactly did you discover was wrong with it?  Was it missing?  Did it have an incorrect value?  Just trying to understand what happened, becuase it might be helpful for others that run into this.  What is your phone's brand and model as well if you don't mind sharing.  Thanks!

iphone 7 plus, me and the husband have the same brand of phone, the data was working on my phone and wasn't working on his, i tried restarting the phone, was about to take the sim out and reinsert it but with a case on it is a bit cumbersome to remove so was going to leave that as a last resort.  instead I retyped in the apn, still didn't work, clicked reset settings under cellular data and that seemed to do the trick for his phone!  Glad i stumbled across this thread cause it was getting frustrating finding a workaround.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I'm curious, how does an APN spontaneously become a problem?  @krzcnck had you manually made a change to it?  What exactly did you discover was wrong with it?  Was it missing?  Did it have an incorrect value?  Just trying to understand what happened, becuase it might be helpful for others that run into this.  What is your phone's brand and model as well if you don't mind sharing.  Thanks!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

krzcnck

thanks for all the help, but i got it figured it out now!!  

krzcnck

@RobertQc wrote:

@kekly wrote:

Hello

I am right in the middle of my 90 day plan, and data suddenly stopped working. Calling and texting still works fine. More than half of my data is still available, and my next payment isn't due until the end of January.

I have tried:

Restarting my phone

Did network reset

I checked my settings and data is on, and I am still under the limit that I have set on the phone itself. I really hope that I am just overcomplicating things but what else can I try?

I actually messaged the mod team first and they suggested some of the steps above, but have not heard back since Thursday and I am getting a little ansty Robot Sad

@keklyDo you have another phone to try your sim card in to see if data is working? What about APN? Have you tried data on more than 1 app, have you confirmed you have no local data restrictions / firewall settings? Go into mobile data usage under settings and make sure you have not used your local "data limit" and there are no network restrictions?

You say half your data is available, is that in self serve overview page?

Does MMS work? (Not SMS) MMS uses data. The most likely cause is the APN. You need to configure (Or re-configure even if you have already configured before) your APN settings to be able to send pictures (MMS) and navigate on internet (DATA). Your "Mobile Data" needs to be activated.

Android 

Settings > More / More Networks / Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign)

Iphone

Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Cellular Network
Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network.

Name: Public Mobile / Mobile Internet
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

Select Save/Done. Select Public Mobile to connect to the Public Mobile network.  

APN Tethering Settings: 

Name: Tethered Mobile Internet
APN: isp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: Not set
MMS proxy: Not set
MMS port: Not set
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: dun

my husband is having trouble connecting to his data as well and i am trying to troubleshoot for him and having a hard time trying to understand the instructions for iphone.  i got the isp.mb.com part but have no clue where to find everything else after that.  And i don't where the mobile data part is coming from

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kekly wrote:

I wasn't sure how active this forum is, so I popped offline for a bit to eat. Thanks for everyone's input!

@RobertQc

Thank you for the detailed explanation! It was the APN. 🙂

@Anonymous

I know it gets frustrating when you see this happening all the time, but it's not really helpful to go off on someone like that if they aren't a repeat offender.

Yes the regulars here do see this all too often. The thread gets a bunch of speculative possibilities and no one knows what's going on because the person asking the question has disappeared.

I wasn't "going off on someone like that" ie. you...I was expressing frustration that it happens so often in general.

I get it...we all have lives and other things to do. And a cell phone problem is probably well down the list of priorities.

No problem. Glad you got it figured.

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@kekly wrote:

I know it gets frustrating when you see this happening all the time, but it's not really helpful to go off on someone like that if they aren't a repeat offender.

I wouldn't take that as targeted at you specifically. It's just a very common thing here. Asking the same question that has been posted hundred times over (not saying you did this) and then never coming back to see the answer (sometimes posting the same question 10 times over in different parts of the forums...and sometimes the same part of the forums) and then getting mad at the community in another thread because they still have the issue (because they never bothered to come back to either see what the others have said, or didn't give information that was not-private but still needed. Most likely not realizing the community doesn't have the power to adjust your account in any way, but we can help you do it yourself (if possible) or at least know when it is best to get the mods to help (they get so swamped with tickets for things that didn't need a ticket that slows them down for important things the mods actually need to do. This then frustrates people because the mods don't help them in a timely fashion (may take 3 or so days versus right now this second like they would prefer.)

Think of it this way! It's kind of like having your favourite show end in an intense cliffhanger, waiting all summer for the show to come back and finding out the show was cancelled. It gives a similar feeling on here. "Hey I sure hope I helped that person, I'll go check and see if it helped and if there is anything more I can do" *crickets* "seems they have not replied yet... well I will come back later" *crickets*

kekly

I wasn't sure how active this forum is, so I popped offline for a bit to eat. Thanks for everyone's input!

@RobertQc

Thank you for the detailed explanation! It was the APN. 🙂

@Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

@Psygineer wrote:

If you have an Android Phone, I wonder if your phone recently updated to Android 8.1. There have been a lot of issues with the APN and Android 8.1.

Boy it's frustrating when customers come in, drop a question and then disappear. Wouldn't one hang around a while to see if ones post got answered? And if so to give the thread all of ones attention?

@AnonymousI like to think kekly is trying all of my suggestions in this specific case and looking back and forth between the screen and the apn menu typing real slow and carefully. They were coherent and explained the process of what they have tried which is a change from the norm 😉

But yea it is frustrating and happens often, It surprises when one of us responds sometimes in less than 1 minute of the OP's post and poof like a fart in the wind and literally don't come back for a week to make their 2nd post which consists of only capital letters and something along the lines "I NEED A REFUND NO HELP NOTHING WORKING" + insults public mobile's lack of call support + some demeaning words about PM

paynter544

This Is a happening to alot of people 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Psygineer wrote:

If you have an Android Phone, I wonder if your phone recently updated to Android 8.1. There have been a lot of issues with the APN and Android 8.1.

Boy it's frustrating when customers come in, drop a question and then disappear. Wouldn't one hang around a while to see if ones post got answered? And if so to give the thread all of ones attention?

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@kekly wrote:

Hello

I have tried:

Restarting my phone

Did network reset

@keklyDo you have another phone to try your sim card in to see if data is working? What about APN? Have you tried data on more than 1 app, have you confirmed you have no local data restrictions / firewall settings? Go into mobile data usage under settings and make sure you have not used your local "data limit" and there are no network restrictions?

You say half your data is available, is that in self serve overview page?

Does MMS work? (Not SMS) MMS uses data. The most likely cause is the APN. You need to configure (Or re-configure even if you have already configured before) your APN settings to be able to send pictures (MMS) and navigate on internet (DATA). Your "Mobile Data" needs to be activated.

Android 

Settings > More / More Networks / Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign)

Iphone

Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Cellular Network
Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network.

Name: Public Mobile / Mobile Internet
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri

Select Save/Done. Select Public Mobile to connect to the Public Mobile network.  

APN Tethering Settings: 

Name: Tethered Mobile Internet
APN: isp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: Not set
MMS proxy: Not set
MMS port: Not set