cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data not working and it's the first day of a new cycle

Mgerard
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have an iPhone 8, and this is my second month with Public Mobile. 

My data worked just fine last billing cycle but I ran out about 12 days early and bought a 1 gig add on. I used this up (but it has about 66 mb left and it still stopped working about 4 days ago) and now I'm on my new cycle which started today. My visa statement shows I've auto-paid the $53 this morning for the new plan I have (I upgraded from the 4.5 mb plan to the 8.5 mb plan to start today). 

Everything else on my phone works, but the data will not. 

I've restarted and conducted 2 hard resets

I have checked and the APN settings are correct/have not changed. 

What is going on? 

Thanks,

Michelle

4 REPLIES 4

Great job giving all the details in your initial post Michelle! So often we see posts about problems with very little of the required info to help determine what may have caused a problem and then numerous additional replies back and forth are needed to get the needed details.

Terry

Mgerard
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Amazing!! Removing the "my Data Manager" app worked! It was definitely doing the VPN thing. Immediately after deleting the app, it worked! I also had cellular data for that specific app disabled, for my own anecdotal weird reason I won't bother explaining, but anyway i could have tried enabling data on that first. Either way, this app was the issue. 

Thanks so much for your help! 

If it starts acting up again, I'll refer back to this for your other solution suggestions as well as teh user above who mentioned the lost and found option. 

Thanks again!
Michelle 

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Mgerard wrote:

I have an iPhone 8

Everything else on my phone works, but the data will not. 

I have checked and the APN settings are correct/have not changed. 

What do you see in the main overview page of your self-serve account the "My Data & Add On's" section for data?

Did you disable cellular data for apps in order to conserve data when you were running low (Settings --> Cellular, scroll down to see cell data enabled state for individual apps)? By the way, while you're in this settings area, take a note of your "Current Period" usage (for your own reference). You may want scroll to the very bottom and tap "Reset Statistics" to clear the counters, and do this every 30 days so you can track usage here. I set a recurring 30-day reminder for myself to reset my stats at the end of each cycle.

Even though you said nothing has changed, did you happen to install any data tracking software on your iPhone? Most of those install a configuration profile or VPN profile on your phone, and that can block normal access to cellular data. Have a look at this post to see if it helps -- if applicable, remove the profiles that are blocking access.

Another quick test... do you have anyone (not using iPhone/iMessage) that you can send an MMS to? If you can send a picture to someone and confirm they've received it, this will simply confirm that you have a data connection "under the hood".  Or, have someone send you an MMS (picture).

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire
@Mgerard You might want to try the Lost / Found trick to reset the account.. failing that you will need to contact the Moderators using this link https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437
Need Help? Let's chat.