cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data is no longer 4g?

Smellyk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I'm on the 4gb/$40 per month plan (12gb for $120 promo plan that was available last fall). I have never had this issue before in the past half year or so so I'm not sure if this is something new or has just changed. I have used about 4000 of the 12228mb available and plan resets in May. When I use my data it doesn't offer the 4g anymore. Just the 3G. Is that something new or is it the fact I've gone over the threshold of x mb and has now been downgraded in data speed?
16 REPLIES 16

zmh1175
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

no all area has 4G LTE. my phone sometime show 3G too.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @stonechucker, while that's true (and yes it was eventually fixed), I think @Smellyk is specifically talking about data speed (3G HSPA+ vs. 4G LTE) rather than amount.

EDIT:  @Smellyk we would appreciate a brief update when you get a moment, to know if you've been able to resolve this or not.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

If you'll recall, the offer was for 4GB of data for approximately a month, however the it was listed as 4G, a typo on the offer, which I do not know if was ever corrected.

@srlawren wrote:
@will13am yep, it how many apps or software in general have you found that are totally stable and bug free? Ask any software developer (like me!) and they will tell you those don't exist. And the way many of use our smartphones these days in and out of apps and multitasking and so on, you're bound to run into memory leaks that slow down the whole system over time, but are cleared out by a quick reboot. Your mileage may vary but literally it solves or prevents so many issues.

I don't disagree at all.  Play services is my nemesis.  Every time it updates, I have wakelock issues until I delete all the app data and reboot the phone. 

srlawren
@will13am yep, it how many apps or software in general have you found that are totally stable and bug free? Ask any software developer (like me!) and they will tell you those don't exist. And the way many of use our smartphones these days in and out of apps and multitasking and so on, you're bound to run into memory leaks that slow down the whole system over time, but are cleared out by a quick reboot. Your mileage may vary but literally it solves or prevents so many issues.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren wrote:

Hi @Smellyk,

I think that @PhoneSeeker and @Ezbzq have nailed the two most probably resolutions:

1) Check your preferred network type and ensure it's not set to 3G only

2) If that doens't fix it, reboot and see if that helps.

You'd be suprised how many strange issues a simple reboot will resolve.  I always recommend people to restart their phones every few days (at least once a week) as a preventative measure.  Most phones these days only take 30-60 seconds to reboot, so it's a no-brainer to try.  

Totally agree, although there is something about not having to reboot the phone for months.  I attribute the need to reboot to bugs in the system.  A good stable build should allow weeks of usage without a reboot. 

srlawren

Hi @Smellyk,

I think that @PhoneSeeker and @Ezbzq have nailed the two most probably resolutions:

1) Check your preferred network type and ensure it's not set to 3G only

2) If that doens't fix it, reboot and see if that helps.

You'd be suprised how many strange issues a simple reboot will resolve.  I always recommend people to restart their phones every few days (at least once a week) as a preventative measure.  Most phones these days only take 30-60 seconds to reboot, so it's a no-brainer to try.  

Ezbzq
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I had a similar issue before where my connection changed from 4g to 3G. Sometimes it is due to the phone not recognizing the signal. I solved the problem by restarting my phone.

@Smellyk wrote:
 Is that something new or is it the fact I've gone over the threshold of x mb and has now been downgraded in data speed?

There is no threshhold in which throttling will kick in at Public Mobile. If you go over the data allocated to your plan, it will just stop working.

PhoneSeeker
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
That is most likely the case. Sometimes the preferred cellular network changes from LTE to 3G on some phones after an update or randomly. If you are using Android, go to your settings menu and click "Cellular Networks" then "Preferred Network Type". If it says LTE, the problem could also with Telus' network. You could also try restarting your phone. If all else fails, I suppose you could contact a moderator to see if there is something they can reset behind the scenes.

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Smellyk somebody recently had a similar issue... they found that the problem was related to a Wind phone that needed to have LTE set as the preferred connection.

Any change you have an unlocked Wind phone?

Divetus

Hmm, did your phone recently have an update? Why don't you try resetting the APN settings and see if that fixes the issue? The only time I ever had 3G appear on my phone is when I was travelling in one certain area downtown, otherwise I've only seen 4G+, it doesn't seem to be a network issue. 

Smellyk
It's always been 4g around my house/neighbourhood. Even when I venture off like 30 mins/an hour from home it's still always been 4g. Only now when I'm at home or out it's default 3G.. don't think it's an area issue? Unless it's changed around me

Smellyk
I noticed it this weekend (usually it's always 4g so I thought it was nothing but I just tried yesterday and it's still 3G by default). I don't have another phone so I am unable to test it out.

it just could honestly be the area that you're in. Sometimes in areas where I usually have LTE, i see 3g more often now. It could be a phone issue, or just a network issue entierly

Divetus

I have 4G+ data and I have 6gb/12gb used when my plan resets June 1st. When did you first notice the change? If you have another phone, have you tried inputting your sim card into that phone to test if it only gets 3G?

Need Help? Let's chat.