cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data bonus add-ons disappeared

ianwaterpolo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Long story short - the internet line to my house was cut and I've been waiting almost 2 weeks for a repair. 

I've been using my phone to tether.  My public mobile account listed 6/12gb for my 3 month cycle used.  It also showed I still had some data from bonuses I had signed up for 5gb xmas data bonus, 100mb/200mb left on a data add on purchase, and a few others.  I got a txt from public mobile saying 75/95/100% data used and now I have no data.  Now when I check my account here all the data bonus are gone - it still shows the bonus talk times that I hadn't used up.  Why did all the bonus data that I was counting on using in this scenario disappear without me using it?

15 REPLIES 15

Along the lines of what @darlicious is saying… ALSO look into the much newer 30 day plans in comparison to your old 90 day plan. In all likelihood you can get a lot more data for your money paying for 3 - 30 day plans compared to your 90 day plan. But… you are quite likely on 4G LTE data currently where as all newer plans are throttled down to 3G like speeds but still on the 4G network. Most people think 3G like speeds will be horribly slow but most don’t even notice the slower speeds. I certainly didn’t when I changed over.

If you decided to go this route you can do your own plan change whereas renewing your existing plan requires the help of a CSA. You would stay put until your 1 GB add-on is getting low and then do an Immediate plan change which starts you on the new 30 day plan right then. Later if you don’t need as much data you could step down in plans at your next renewal date.

AE_Collector

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Golden rule of tethering

Turn off all the automatic updates on the devices(small and big) connected.

@ianwaterpolo 

Where are you located? If you are in the Toronto area you could order/pick up an activation bundle from CCS w/free SIM card and 30% savings on the $50/10.5gb+2gb bonus/6 months for $35. This would give you 12.5gb over the next 30 days to use to hotspot your data. With the $10 bonus referral credit from referring yourself your next 30 day renewal will only be $40/$38 w/autopay.

If it's not needed you can suspend for the next 89 days or until needed again. The cost for your first 30 days is only $5 more than purchasing two $15/1gb data add ons. The 2gb bonus offer ends today but even without the bonus ( or another promo deal may be offered in the next couple of days) it's an affordable option to supplement your lack of data rather than too early of a renewal for your 90 day plan and the subsequent loss of rewards if they are significant.

@ianwaterpolo  it's not bad to get the extra Data Add-on, they are non-expiring until all used up..  So, you have extra in the plan to fight for the next internet outage  🙂

ianwaterpolo

I bought 1gb data.  I didn't know about the early renewal.  My next cycle date is Oct 19 so I guess I could have early renewed paid an extra $32 (1/3 plan) for effectively 4gb instead of the $15 for 1gb.  I might still do that depending on how the 1gb usage goes.

Thanks for the idea !

@ianwaterpolo  how many days more before a new cycle?  you can survive without more data or you have to buy extra add-on or contact PM for early renewal?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ianwaterpolo : So did you say you're on a 90 day plan with 12gb? When's your next renewal? You could ask for an early renewal and start a new 90 day term with fresh data. Or buy data add-ons. But that could get pricey depending on your next renewal.

ianwaterpolo

Yeah I think this was the first time I tried tethering the windows 10 machine.  The macbookpro has a different icon for a hotspot and must handle it differently as I've been doing this for almost 2 weeks... first day I do it with the win10 machine and it grabs 8gb - lesson learned.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ianwaterpolo : 7.8 for a printer driver?! Maybe someone else found your hotspot and figured out any password and helped themselves. Of course OS and program updates can also happen on a Windows machine. If even just re-syncing itself to a different internet connection for cloud accounts or whatever.

@ianwaterpolo  try not to tether  for laptop if possible.

If you ever really need to do it, make sure on your laptop, when you select the Hotspot , set the hotspot as metered connection:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/metered-connections-in-windows-7b33928f-a144-b265-97b6-f...

ianwaterpolo

Hmm checking today it claims I used 7.8gb yesterday which is way more than the hotspoting was using in the previous week - probably the stupid windows printer driver that it tried to locate!  That probably used up everything and the public mobile system likely just caught up and did the 75/95/100 in short succession. 

Guess I am out of luck.  Thanks for the help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ianwaterpolo 

very important to you know about Managing Your Data Usage visit  Here link  to you save your data...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ianwaterpolo : Hotspotting can use a crap load o' data. If you didn't tell the hotspotted device to treat the wifi connection as a metered connection (like Windows on a laptop does anyway) then whatever you connected could have sucked down all your data in a hurry.

Edit: Click on the lower View My Usage to see what might be showing for counters. Or even if you don't see your plan name above the plan Details link then the page is not displaying properly.

ianwaterpolo

Nah I was looking each day and it was coming out of my 12gb (4gb per month) total.  It was showing zero usage on the 5gb bonus, the 100/200mb bonus, etc.  They just disappeared.  I didn't use > 5gb between 8am and 1pm today. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@ianwaterpolo   It is possible the data all all used up if you rely on your mobile data for 2 weeks.  Also, you mentioned about tether, were you letting your laptops/computer to use the internet that way?  If you didn't setup properly to reduce the data used by the computer, your windows might be download updates and it can easily used up all your data quickly

You have an Android phone?  On Android phone, the Mobile Data page, it can show you how much data was used.  Just change the start date to match your current PM cycle and it will tell you how much you used and which apps were using the data and how much used

Need Help? Let's chat.