cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ianwaterpolo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Data bonus add-ons disappeared

Long story short - the internet line to my house was cut and I've been waiting almost 2 weeks for a repair. 

I've been using my phone to tether.  My public mobile account listed 6/12gb for my 3 month cycle used.  It also showed I still had some data from bonuses I had signed up for 5gb xmas data bonus, 100mb/200mb left on a data add on purchase, and a few others.  I got a txt from public mobile saying 75/95/100% data used and now I have no data.  Now when I check my account here all the data bonus are gone - it still shows the bonus talk times that I hadn't used up.  Why did all the bonus data that I was counting on using in this scenario disappear without me using it?

Accepted Solutions
z10user4
Mayor / Maire

Re: Data bonus add-ons disappeared

@ianwaterpolo : Hotspotting can use a crap load o' data. If you didn't tell the hotspotted device to treat the wifi connection as a metered connection (like Windows on a laptop does anyway) then whatever you connected could have sucked down all your data in a hurry.

Edit: Click on the lower View My Usage to see what might be showing for counters. Or even if you don't see your plan name above the plan Details link then the page is not displaying properly.

View solution in original post

All Replies
hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@ianwaterpolo   It is possible the data all all used up if you rely on your mobile data for 2 weeks.  Also, you mentioned about tether, were you letting your laptops/computer to use the internet that way?  If you didn't setup properly to reduce the data used by the computer, your windows might be download updates and it can easily used up all your data quickly

You have an Android phone?  On Android phone, the Mobile Data page, it can show you how much data was used.  Just change the start date to match your current PM cycle and it will tell you how much you used and which apps were using the data and how much used

ianwaterpolo

Nah I was looking each day and it was coming out of my 12gb (4gb per month) total.  It was showing zero usage on the 5gb bonus, the 100/200mb bonus, etc.  They just disappeared.  I didn't use > 5gb between 8am and 1pm today. 

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

@ianwaterpolo : Hotspotting can use a crap load o' data. If you didn't tell the hotspotted device to treat the wifi connection as a metered connection (like Windows on a laptop does anyway) then whatever you connected could have sucked down all your data in a hurry.

Edit: Click on the lower View My Usage to see what might be showing for counters. Or even if you don't see your plan name above the plan Details link then the page is not displaying properly.

View solution in original post

S--S
Mayor / Maire

@ianwaterpolo 

very important to you know about Managing Your Data Usage visit  Here link  to you save your data...

ianwaterpolo

Hmm checking today it claims I used 7.8gb yesterday which is way more than the hotspoting was using in the previous week - probably the stupid windows printer driver that it tried to locate!  That probably used up everything and the public mobile system likely just caught up and did the 75/95/100 in short succession. 

Guess I am out of luck.  Thanks for the help.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@ianwaterpolo  try not to tether  for laptop if possible.

If you ever really need to do it, make sure on your laptop, when you select the Hotspot , set the hotspot as metered connection:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/metered-connections-in-windows-7b33928f-a144-b265-97b6-f...

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

@ianwaterpolo : 7.8 for a printer driver?! Maybe someone else found your hotspot and figured out any password and helped themselves. Of course OS and program updates can also happen on a Windows machine. If even just re-syncing itself to a different internet connection for cloud accounts or whatever.

ianwaterpolo

Yeah I think this was the first time I tried tethering the windows 10 machine.  The macbookpro has a different icon for a hotspot and must handle it differently as I've been doing this for almost 2 weeks... first day I do it with the win10 machine and it grabs 8gb - lesson learned.  

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

@ianwaterpolo : So did you say you're on a 90 day plan with 12gb? When's your next renewal? You could ask for an early renewal and start a new 90 day term with fresh data. Or buy data add-ons. But that could get pricey depending on your next renewal.

Need Help? Let's chat.