cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data and payment

SPY21
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all safe and well. I am new to Community and in need of advice. Last week, I had used 95% of my data so I paid my bill before the due date. Shouldn't my next cycle have started as soon as I paid?  I continue to have issues with wi-fi and no connection.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

blue88

Last I checked a year or two ago, 1 GB of data traffic costs the telecommunication companies less than about $0.08 per gigabyte, but they charge e.g. $1.50, $10, or $15 / GB to cover the cost of past and future infrastructure.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meow wrote:

@SPY21 wrote:

I added the $15 1GB - thank you!! 😊

Oh my. How much mobile phone companies charge for data is plain highway robbery!

Just wondering, do you Really need data on your mobile device?

To think it was $30 not too long ago. Nobody _needs_ anything other than necessities. I can frequently wait for wifi somewhere but if I just gotta do something on the internet then yes...I will use data on my mobile device.

However anybody wishes to spend their money is their business.

And no...nobody asked me 🙂

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@SPY21 wrote:

Oh my. How much mobile phone companies charge for data is plain highway robbery!

Just wondering, do you Really need data on your mobile device?

SPY21

SPY21

Hi,

After reading yours and everyone's helpful advice, I added 1GB for $15. All is good now.

🙂 Great Community support!

Much appreciated!!

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@SPY21 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all safe and well. I am new to Community and in need of advice. Last week, I had used 95% of my data so I paid my bill before the due date. Shouldn't my next cycle have started as soon as I paid?  I continue to have issues with wi-fi and no connection.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

@SPY21 are you having WIFI issues? 

Ensure your WIFI is toggled to ON.

Tips for managing Data here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ns/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@SPY21 

No, that's not how pre-paid works. 

Placing money in your account before the cycle is over is much like placing money in a vending machine and not making a selection.   The money 'rests' there until a valid selection is made.

To purchase Add-Ons using your Self-Serve account, follow these steps:

1. Click on ‘Purchase Add-Ons’ on the Overview tab and scroll down to the Add-On calculator.
  2. Click the plus sign (+) to add and the minus sign (-) to remove selected Add-ons.
  3. When you’ve added all your desired Add-Ons, click ‘Buy Add-Ons’ or ‘Make a Payment’ below the calculator:
    • You will see ‘Make a Payment’ instead of ‘Buy Add-Ons’ if there are not enough funds in your account to make the purchase.
    • If you don’t have sufficient funds to purchase the Add-Ons, you will be asked to make a one-time payment equal to the price of the Add-On, less your current available funds. Click ‘Submit’, then ‘Go back’: now the button below the calculator will say ‘Buy Add-Ons’.
  4. Select ‘Confirm my purchase’, and you’re done.
  5. Some users have found that rebooting device is required afterwards.

@SPY21 

You can't renew the same plan earlier without moderator help.  Moderators will take a few hours to respond to request. 

As stated above, you can purchase a data add on for $15 for 1 GB (unused portion will roll over).  

Or another option is to change to a different plan immediately (PM does not prorate plans - you will lose whatever is remaining in original plan). If you feel that you will use more data per month on a consistent basis, changing to a higher data plan is one option.  

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You would need to contact a moderator if you would like to have your account renew earlier then the scheduled in your self serve account.

If you need additional data then you can purchase a $15 1GB data which does not expire and will remain in your account until it is used up.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Welcome to Public Mobile, SPY21!  🙂

Your plan will likely renew, and your Data/Minutes/etc "reset" every 30 days.  If you paid before that 30 days, then your account officially become in good standing with credit available when it renews.

If you desperately need mobile data, you can purchase an Add-on package and have remaining amounts rollover (eg. in case you run low again future periods) or you can request to reset your plan immediately and "restart" that 30 day period again.

Edit: If you're on the $15 plan without data and purchased a Data Add-on, adding your credit card for Autopay will give you 250mb data.  This isn't the case for most people but thought I'd mention it just in case.  Alternatively, you can try to limit your use to Wifi data and turn on Data Saver on your phone... both of which will reduce the mobile data used.

Need Help? Let's chat.