Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Data & Add-Ons

Amount Used
500MB + 500MB at 3G Speed
35.060  /  1024 MB

Data & Data Add-Ons
 NameData Limit* (MB)Data Used** (MB)Remaining Data (MB)Status
500MB + 500MB at 3G Speed102435.060988.940Active

Usage tab breakdown of data usage - which totals 32.504 mb, so a difference of 2.556 mb

28/10/2020 6:46Web     2.455 MBMB$0.00
28/10/2020 6:29Web     26.533 MBMB$0.00

27/10/2020 11:10Web     0.142 MBMB$0.00
27/10/2020 11:13Web     0.001 MBMB$0.00
26/10/2020 12:27Web     0.286 MBMB$0.00
26/10/2020 12:27Web     3.087 MBMB$0.00

Data has not been used since the last usage indicated on Oct 28, 2020.

While a difference of 2.556 mb is not much, there shouldn't be any discrepancy in these 2 tab calculations.  In addition, I plan to move to the $15 plan with 250mb so every mb will count.

Has anyone else experienced this data discrepancy?

26 REPLIES 26

wbg13

@kb_mv Thanks, I hope so because my friend likes to send me a lot of MMS!  So there will be a lot of data leakage.  I guess on the positive side, at least I won't incur any overage data fees since data will just stop.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@wbg13 wrote:

@metropublic Thanks for the link.  

Looking at my usage tab now it shows minimal data usage twice.  I have not turned on data, haven't used MMS but did turn on WIFI.  Turning on WIFI should not use or leak any data usage at all.

Again, I know it's minimal data usage.  Just hope this doesn't add up over the month to more than 250mb since I want to change my plan to $15.

29/10/2020 8:28Web     0.002 MBMB$0.00
29/10/2020 10:21Web     0.007 MBMB$0.00

@wbg13 At an average entry of .005MB per event, you would need 50000 entries to get to 250MB. I think you will be OK. I am on the 250MB plan and never go over even with data on all the time (defaults to wifi at work/home).

metropublic
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@wbg13 wrote:

Looking at my usage tab now it shows minimal data usage twice.  I have not turned on data, haven't used MMS but did turn on WIFI.  Turning on WIFI should not use or leak any data usage at all.

Again, I know it's minimal data usage.  Just hope this doesn't add up over the month to more than 250mb since I want to change my plan to $15.

@wbg13  Keep monitoring it and if it is persistent then maybe submit a ticket to Public Mobile and ask them to investigate fix the issue.

wbg13

metropublic

@metropublic In regards to past reports of MMS leaking some data - does that mean it would show as MMS in the data usage and NOT as "mb" but will show in the actual data amount used?  So then technically the data amount used tab will never truly match the usage breakdown for data?  Did I understand that correctly?

@wbg13  For more info regarding the MMS leak check the link below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Microscopic-Megabyte-Usage-Wazzup/m-p...

bhumika01714
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You should try reset button

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kb_mv wrote:

@wbg13 @Anonymous @metropublic  Under the "Topic Options" button at the top, if you have "Sort by Topics" selected, you get the answers posted after the message it replied to. Select "oldest to newest" to see all replies go to the end of the thread.

I hadn't changed anything. Is that just for each topic? Would I have to do it everywhere.

So I changed the My settings option back to default and now it shows the mixed up order.

I say they're messin' with things.

wbg13

@metropublic wrote:

@wbg13 wrote:

@metropublic wrote:

@wbg13 wrote:

@metropublic do you know how much of a delay there is for data usage tab because I haven't even turned on data on my phone since yesterday Oct 28. So wondering if the delay should have already been caught up and captured in the data usage tab.

@wbg13  Not sure about the delay I'm guessing up to 24 hours. Also please note that Public reserves a temp 5MB buffer from time to time that shows up on your counter but get released back to you and does not count towards your data usage.

@metropublic Do you know more details about reserving the temp 5MB buffer like what's the criteria for Public Mobile to apply it and if applied, what is the timeframe of releasing it back?  I will also check later today when it's 24 hrs to see if the usage breakdown catches up and matches the data amount used tab since I haven't and don't plan on turning on data today.

@wbg13  No need to worry about the buffer as already mentioned because it does not count as part of your data usage. It has also been reported in the past that sending an MMS will leak some minute amount of data. I think it's 1KB per message.

My experience with the counter is that it's accurate and even if you are on the $15 plan with 250MB of data it's good for low bandwidth apps like email etc. Also a good idea to purchase a 1GB add-on for $15 to have as a backup just in case you run out within your 30 day plan period.

@metropublic In regards to past reports of MMS leaking some data - does that mean it would show as MMS in the data usage and NOT as "mb" but will show in the actual data amount used?  So then technically the data amount used tab will never truly match the usage breakdown for data?  Did I understand that correctly?

@Anonymous wrote:

@wbg13 wrote:

My replies did not post at the end either.  So I was also scrolling around to find the replies from others that mentioned me also.  Let's see if this one posts at the end since this was the last post here.

Ah ha! So I was _not_ hallucinating again. Thanks for that.

@kb_mv : can you check My settings/Preferences/Linear Layout - what do you have selected at the first setting?

I was on default. Then went to Oldest first and it listed the way it always has.

Maybe they were just fiddling with things briefly.

@Anonymous Just checked this, mine is selected "Oldest First"

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@wbg13 @Anonymous @metropublic  Under the "Topic Options" button at the top, if you have "Sort by Topics" selected, you get the answers posted after the message it replied to. Select "oldest to newest" to see all replies go to the end of the thread.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wbg13 wrote:

My replies did not post at the end either.  So I was also scrolling around to find the replies from others that mentioned me also.  Let's see if this one posts at the end since this was the last post here.

Ah ha! So I was _not_ hallucinating again. Thanks for that.

@kb_mv : can you check My settings/Preferences/Linear Layout - what do you have selected at the first setting?

I was on default. Then went to Oldest first and it listed the way it always has.

Maybe they were just fiddling with things briefly.

wbg13

@Anonymous 

@Anonymous wrote:

@kb_mv wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Whoa. Something weird with the post order.

Are they working on the Reply indication that Khoros has?

Edit: I'm not sure how the setting would have changed if it did. Or it didn't work like that before. Maybe someone broke in to my account and is messing with me. 🙂

@Anonymous Maybe check that the last 4 numbers of you sim match the last 4 numbers on your account! 😉

No. I logged into another account that I intentionally leave as default for reference and that setting is also there. I changed it to Oldest first on this account and it shows the sort order as it used to.

I'm saying something's changed.

Is no one else seeing your replies not at the end? Try replying to a post in the middle of a thread and see if it shows up following that post instead of at the bottom.

@metropublic wrote:

@wbg13 wrote:

@metropublic wrote:

@wbg13 wrote:

@metropublic do you know how much of a delay there is for data usage tab because I haven't even turned on data on my phone since yesterday Oct 28. So wondering if the delay should have already been caught up and captured in the data usage tab.

@wbg13  Not sure about the delay I'm guessing up to 24 hours. Also please note that Public reserves a temp 5MB buffer from time to time that shows up on your counter but get released back to you and does not count towards your data usage.

@metropublic Do you know more details about reserving the temp 5MB buffer like what's the criteria for Public Mobile to apply it and if applied, what is the timeframe of releasing it back?  I will also check later today when it's 24 hrs to see if the usage breakdown catches up and matches the data amount used tab since I haven't and don't plan on turning on data today.

@wbg13  No need to worry about the buffer as already mentioned because it does not count as part of your data usage. It has also been reported in the past that sending an MMS will leak some minute amount of data. I think it's 1KB per message.

My experience with the counter is that it's accurate and even if you are on the $15 plan with 250MB of data it's good for low bandwidth apps like email etc. Also a good idea to purchase a 1GB add-on for $15 to have as a backup just in case you run out within your 30 day plan period.

@Anonymous Testing to see if this shows up after the quoted post or at the end of the thread.

Edit: Shows up at the end of the thread as the last message for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kb_mv wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Edit: I'm not sure how the setting would have changed if it did. Or it didn't work like that before. Maybe someone broke in to my account and is messing with me. 🙂

@Anonymous Maybe check that the last 4 numbers of you sim match the last 4 numbers on your account! 😉

No. I logged into another account that I intentionally leave as default for reference and that setting is also there. I changed it to Oldest first on this account and it shows the sort order as it used to.

I'm saying something's changed.

Is no one else seeing your replies not at the end? Try replying to a post in the middle of a thread and see if it shows up following that post instead of at the bottom.

@Anonymous wrote:

metropublic

@wbg13 wrote:

@metropublic wrote:

@wbg13 wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@wbg13 The 5MB buffer is nothing in the grand scheme of things. It won't even count towards your total. Check your usage in your self serve account. Then put your phone in airplane mode and check again, you will see that the buffer disappeared. Turn the phone back on, refresh the page and you will see the buffer is back.

Edit: what @Anonymous said lol

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wbg13 

I call it a buffer. The moment you turn on cell data the system grabs this buffer. You use cell data. You use more than that buffer and it will grab another. Then you turn off cell data.

The buffer seems to reset back to actual usage of that current buffer overnight.

You can actually watch it happen.

Turn off data.

Turn on airplane mode.

Refresh your overview page. Take note of the counter.

Turn off airplane mode.

Refresh your overview page. Did it change? It shouldn't.

Turn on cell data.

Refresh your overview page. Did it change? It should. By about 5MB

Let it settle a bit with whatever sync'ing the phone wants to do.

Refresh your overview page. Did it grab another buffer? Maybe it didn't.

Turn off cell data.

Turn on airplane mode.

Refresh your overview page. Did it change? It should. This should be the net amount of data that was used of that last buffer.

I think the buffer is 5.293MB. But sync'ing will use a bit of it.

wbg13

@metropublic wrote:

@wbg13 wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wbg13 wrote:

@Anonymous While turning on data will use a little bit of data, shouldn't that data usage be captured in the data usage tab still?

To your other question: I seem to think the delay is about 12 hours. So you're right. But since you want to make sure you're being sparing with your data consumption, make sure all the unwanted apps are not doing things in the background, or OS/app updates are only being on  wifi, and that the wifi failover is not on.

metropublic

@wbg13 wrote:

wbg13

@Anonymous While turning on data will use a little bit of data, shouldn't that data usage be captured in the data usage tab still?

wbg13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wbg13 

That details reporting is delayed. The overview page counter is generally immediate.

Turning on data will always use a little bit of data. All the little app sync's and even just the phone sync'ing up.

If you have wifi failover on then you might be inadvertently using some data too.

metropublic

@wbg13  The data counter is accurate the data usage is delayed so that may explain any discrepancy.

Need Help? Let's chat.