cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data all gone but not matching usage

drewber83
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hey so I have 1 GB of data per month with my plan. I also had some left over bonus data from a previous promotion. I'm now out of all of my data according to public but my phone is showing less than 1000 MB of usage from my billing cycle start date. Is there something else that could of used the data or could it of been removed for some other reason?

7 REPLIES 7

@drewber83 

If you reset your data counter every month to line up with your 30 day cycle then it should show your usage from the previous cycle. If your plan data did not reset during your last renewal your current cycles usage and your previous cycles usage should add up to 1gb (1024mb). Then you know if you have a case to ask for a reset of your data by the moderators.

@drewber83  The data usage on my device matches the PM data counter +/- 2-3 MB.  500 MB is a big difference.  It's  possible that your counter did not reset properly during your last plan renewal. Best to submit a ticket to Public Mobile and ask them to investigate.

To submit a ticket to the Moderator Team, please start a conversation with the Public's virtual assistant, SIMon by clicking  here or the icon (bottom right of your screen).

s.JPG

If you are still having problems contacting Public Mobile then click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

@drewber83 wrote:

The counter on my phone lines up with my cycle exactly I've been using cells for 15 years and have done tech support and insurance claims for phones so I know the dates show correctly. It's not a small amount of MB I'm missing it's 400-500 which is a lot when you only have 1GB a month. I can provide a screenshot of the data usage page if needed 

Cell phone devices keep track of data usage in exact one month increments. As I said before, Public Mobile does not have monthly plans. The current plans that are offered al all 30 days in duration. This means that the start date of each 30-day plan can change. Unless you manually change the date after each renewal, the start date won't line up correctly. And, as devices are keep track of exactly a month of usage, the usage reported won't be accurate.

Is it possible that there was a mistake on the Public Mobile end?  Of course that's possible.  However, 400 to 500MB of usage isn't much at all and could easily be used up even by accident.

drewber83
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The counter on my phone lines up with my cycle exactly I've been using cells for 15 years and have done tech support and insurance claims for phones so I know the dates show correctly. It's not a small amount of MB I'm missing it's 400-500 which is a lot when you only have 1GB a month. I can provide a screenshot of the data usage page if needed 

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@drewber83 When I first joined PM, I had problem with the usage. I sent a private message to the moderators and they corrected my data afterward for I didn't turn on data in the first place. Here are their advice: 

In order for you to have more control over you data usage, we recommend turning off data when is not needed. Also disabling Wi-Fi assist (for iPhone) or Smart network switch (for Android) to avoid the phone connects and jumps automatically from Wi-Fi to data. 

It is also recommended to restrict background data to avoid that applications connect automatically to your data and make small updates as soon as you turn it on.  

You may consider monitoring your data from the setting of your phone if you have an android (settings-data- set data limit – enter your billing cycle- your data allotment so the phones gives you a breakdown per app) .

You may also consider getting a third party application that will give you a breakdown of the usage per app, so you know what application is using your data or if it is the operating system of your phone. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@drewber83  The PM counter is very accurate. Is the start date on your device's data usage app the same as your plan's start date? What's the difference?

@drewber83 wrote:

Hey so I have 1 GB of data per month with my plan. I also had some left over bonus data from a previous promotion. I'm now out of all of my data according to public but my phone is showing less than 1000 MB of usage from my billing cycle start date. Is there something else that could of used the data or could it of been removed for some other reason?

Public Mobile doesn't have monthly plans. If you're on a 30-day plan, that could explain why the numbers don't match. Your phone is likely displaying data usage statistics for a period of exactly one month, which won't line with your Pubilc Mobile billing cycle.

Need Help? Let's chat.