cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data add on not working

Chri57ined
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Firstly, I'd like today this is the first time I ever went over my data plan. But for some reason I have purchased my data add on over 4-5 times in the last week. Most of the time I am at work or home using wifi settings so I am unsure why my data is running out so quickly. I hate the fact that it doesn't tell me when my data goes off, it just stops working completely. Some days I'm driving and need to access the internet or gps but I can't!!! I literally just purchased a add on yesterday and it didn't work within the next hour. How is this possible?? What is going on? And 1gb for $30 is the most expensive add on I've ever seen on any mobile service. I would like some help asap
9 REPLIES 9

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Rockdaddy22 @Luddite do you guys know of how to check on an iPhone to see what apps are using the most data?  Similar to what I posted above on my Android phone?  I'm 97.7774% sure the iPhone can give you the same info, but could you provide some guidance please?  Thanks!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Chri57ined
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
I'm using iPhone 7

srlawren

@Chri57ined what phone are you using?  I think all phones have a way to see what apps are using the most data recently.

For example, on my OnePlus 3 (based on Android 7.1.1), if I go to Settings, Data Usage, then tap Cellular Data Usage, I see this, sorted in order of most data used so far this month:

Screenshot_20170727-101202.png

Others have suggested Data Witness or My Data Manager, and those are great apps too, for tracking your overall progress through your 90 days worth of plan data.  The built in data trackers don't align with your PM plan dates and durations, BUT, for something like this where you just need to know what app(s) are running away with all your data recently, they work well.

EDIT: Updated 2018-Apr-26.  Steps are still the same on Android 8.1 (on my OnePlus 5T on OxygenOS 5.1.0).  Here's my list of apps using the most usage since my [now Koodo] plan reset on April 12th:

Screenshot_20180426-112002.jpg

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@mimmo yes wi-fi assist is definitely a likely candidate.  But could also be a process that's malfunctioning in the background and continually pulling down data over and over.

@Chri57ined is your battery also depleating quicker than normal/expected?  Have you rebooted recently?

mimmo

I use mydata manager app it great.

also instead of buying 1gb for $30  you can always ask mods to renew your plan early.  depends on what plan you have and how much time is left in your plan.

4-5 time addon purchase = $120-$150= 4-5 gb if on fall promo 12gb for $120.  

do youhave wifi assist on iphone?

most phones will also show what apps have used data I woudl look at that aswell

Nsk143
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
Also suggest download third party app my data management or data witness for tracking all data usage works pretty well for future

raza416
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yeah you should definitely take a look at what applications are sapping your data, both android and iPhone give you the option to look at what applications are using data. Let us know what you find out and best of luck!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Unless you are streaming 4K video, your data should not run out that fast.  What kind of phone are you running?  On android, the OS contains lots of features to monitor and manage the data usage.

Need Help? Let's chat.