cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data add-on in USA

alexsupr
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, I've paid $15 for 1 Gb of data being in USA but still have no internet. Please help I need internet for google map to drive to my destination.

20 REPLIES 20

@chainsawcowboy wrote:

@LurganIeUk 

I must be old school. I still use a map from my glove compartment.

I let me wife read it to me.

chainsawcowboy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@LurganIeUk 

I must be old school. I still use a map from my glove compartment.

@Anonymous yeah, garmins use fm radio sideband. It's not nearly as comprehensive as google maps traffic data, at least in Canada. However, in bigger Canadian cities like Vancouver it will at least list construction areas and major incidents. In the US its much more likely to show highway congestion as well.

I have a Nüvi that can do this, and use it for longer road trips routing to the "final destination" . If im the passenger, nowadays I like to use google maps for looking up stuff like gas stations, restaurants, and playgrounds for the kids along the way...

My newer car has android auto support, and with offline maps downloaded its 80% functional with no data active too - use it all the time in the city. If you start the route while in wifi coverage you can get the google traffic routing before you leave the wifi zone too...

@srlawren 

Thanks I must try it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meow : But how? Is it connected to your phone and using its data? Does it have a SIM in it and some kind of free connection? How does it know live information?

Edit: found an FM transmission method. Not as precise but there it is. Needs a compatible device and an antenna.

Other than that...connects to a phone through an app.

@srlawren wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@srlawren : Except: Tip: Transit, bicycling, or walking directions are unavailable offline. In your offline driving directions, you can’t get traffic info, alternate routes, or lane guidance.

@Anonymous good tips, thanks!  I would say that lack of those things probably also affect using something like a Garmin with static maps (stored locally) would have the same limitations.  

Dedicated GPSr units are completely different beasts comparing to GPS apps. I definitely prefer stand alone GPSr units to phone apps. Call me old school but I have no unlimited resources to pay for data. I love my old Garmin which provides traffic data for free.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren : The tip came from the page you linked. I would agree with your further statement. How can it, without some live data?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@srlawren : Except: Tip: Transit, bicycling, or walking directions are unavailable offline. In your offline driving directions, you can’t get traffic info, alternate routes, or lane guidance.

@Anonymous good tips, thanks!  I would say that lack of those things probably also affect using something like a Garmin with static maps (stored locally) would have the same limitations.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@mimmo 

I guess so. I am old school with the Garmin. I don’t understand how using the phone with no data works.  I need to learn that one.

@LurganIeUk 

Lol....well you can make calls and text but you can't access the internet.😃 When you are on wifi just download to your phone what you would normally access online. This could be maps, your playlist, coupons, digital tickets etc.... I have a habit of taking screenshots and opening my gallery or photos that are not backed up yet to access my upc code for my pc optimum account or pics of flyer prices i intend to price match then I delete them later.

Anonymous
Not applicable

srlawren

@LurganIeUk wrote:

I don’t understand how using the phone with no data works.  I need to learn that one. My Garmin does have live traffic notifications in some areas.  

@LurganIeUk takes seconds to find that info via Google search 🙂  

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@mimmo 

I guess so. I am old school with the Garmin. I don’t understand how using the phone with no data works.  I need to learn that one. My Garmin does have live traffic notifications in some areas.  

https://www8.garmin.com/traffic/index.html

mimmo

@LurganIeUk  would they be better off just downloading the maps onto their phone for offline use? As already suggested, if they can't get data right away. At least they will have the latest maps updates.

Having data will also allow to get real time traffic updates and route alternatives in real time. Vs the old Garmin or even offline downloaded maps.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@alexsupr wrote:

Hello, I've paid $15 for 1 Gb of data being in USA but still have no internet. Please help I need internet for google map to drive to my destination.

Hi. You would be better off to buy a second hand Garmin and use the GPS signals free. Spend your money for USA calling. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@alexsupr 

Make sure after you have added the funds and you choose your add on that you are choosing the correct one.

US Roaming Data Add ons:

• 1GB DATA..............$20
  • 500MB DATA.........$15
  • 200MB DATA.........$10

Canada Data Add ons:

• 1GB DATA..............$15
  • 200MB DATA.........$5

@hairbag1 

You're welcome.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@alexsupr...if you've successfully purchased the 10 Day US data add-on...you might have to manually select either T-Mobile or AT&T...whichever works best in your area.

Edit; double check that you've purchased the correct add-on. Looks like 1 GB of US data is $20...not $15. You may have purchased the in-Canada  data add-on in err.

U.S. Data Only
10 day packages
250MB....$10
500MB....$15
1GB....$20

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Buying addon  is a 2 steps process.   

1 Load Fund.  2.  actual buying.

Many ppl  missed the step 2.  Maybe you just loaded the fund only?  If you see My Account's   Available Fund has $15, then you have not buy the addon yet.

If you did buy the addon and Available  Fund is $0,    reboot your phone  and see

mimmo

@alexsupr if you can find wifi you can try downloading /saving the Google map so that you can use it offline.

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid

Anonymous
Not applicable

check it out your Roaming is on

do you Purchase Add-Ons Using Your Self-Serve Account

To purchase Add-Ons using your Self-Serve account, follow these steps:

1. Click on ‘Purchase Add-Ons’ on the Overview tab and scroll down to the Add-On calculator.
  2. Click the plus sign (+) to add and the minus sign (-) to remove selected Add-ons.
  3. When you’ve added all your desired Add-Ons, click ‘Buy Add-Ons’ or ‘Make a Payment’ below the calculator:
    • You will see ‘Make a Payment’ instead of ‘Buy Add-Ons’ if there are not enough funds in your account to make the purchase.
    • If you don’t have sufficient funds to purchase the Add-Ons, you will be asked to make a one-time payment equal to the price of the Add-On, less your current available funds. Click ‘Submit’, then ‘Go back’: now the button below the calculator will say ‘Buy Add-Ons’.
  4. Select ‘Confirm my purchase’, and you’re off to the races! 
  5. just check it out,

if you still not working do one thing Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

and do rebooting your phone take your SIM card out and waiting for a 2 minute and put it back and turn on -This one is quick and simple.

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again

for more information about Troubleshooting U.S. Roaming Add-Ons

Q: I’m in the U.S. and cannot send any text messages, make calls, or use my data. What do I do? A:

• Please make sure you’ve added a roaming Add-On that includes the service you are trying to use. You can verify what’s included in your Add-On by signing into Self-Serve.
  • For data issues, make sure your APN settings are correctly configured. Find out how to verify APN settings for Android or iPhone.
  • Make sure your mobile device has roaming enabled.
  • If these solutions don’t work, please start a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon, to submit a ticket to the Moderator Team by clicking here(EN URL: https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html).

Q: How do I enable roaming on my device?A: Here’s how to enable for iPhones and Androids:How to enable roaming on an iPhone:

• Select Settings > Cellular > move ‘Data Roaming’ to the ‘ON’ position.

How to enable roaming on Android:

• Open ‘Settings’.
  • In ‘Wireless & Networks’, select ‘More’.
  • Choose ‘Mobile Networks’.
    • On some Android devices, you may need to choose ‘Battery & Data Manager’, and then ‘Data Delivery’
  • Add the check mark by the ‘Data Roaming’ option.
  • On some phones, the option is called ‘Global Data Roaming Access’: choose it, and then choose ‘Enable Data Roaming Access’.

Q: I can’t add a U.S. Roaming Add-On to my account. What should I do?A: Purchasing Add-Ons is a 2-step process:

• You will need to add funds equal to the amount of the Add-On to your account.
  • Then, click on ‘Purchase Add-Ons’ on the Overview page.

Q: Will I receive incoming SMS while roaming in the US?A: Yes, you will receive incoming SMS while you are roaming in the US for free. However, in order to respond to the SMS, you must have a US Roaming add-on which includes the SMS feature.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@alexsupr wrote:

Hello @alexsupr ,

IF the $15 is showing in the Available funds balance in your Self Serve account, then go back to the Addon section and add it (Purchase it).

Funds must be there first, before you can add the addon to your account.

Then reboot your phone.

EDIT - Just making sure that you choose the ROAMING Addon RIGHT? That is the only ones that will work while you in the USA.

Need Help? Let's chat.