cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage Issue

noramarie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello! 

So for the first month ever i went over my data (i have a 4GB plan plus 1GB bonus) and somehow i went over in half the month. I figured maybe i had been using more data than usual so i purchased an extra 1GB but it ran out in 3 hours. Is anyone able to explain to me how this is possible? i have never had an issue going over my data, especially that quickly, any month with this company or with any other phone provider ive used before.

Thanks! 

10 REPLIES 10

noramarie

Yes i did get a text saying i used 95% of my data 3 hours after purchase and my internet stopped working

@noramarie wrote:

Hello! 

So for the first month ever i went over my data (i have a 4GB plan plus 1GB bonus) and somehow i went over in half the month. I figured maybe i had been using more data than usual so i purchased an extra 1GB but it ran out in 3 hours. Is anyone able to explain to me how this is possible? i have never had an issue going over my data, especially that quickly, any month with this company or with any other phone provider ive used before.

Thanks! 

I've moved this thread from the Paying for Your Service to the Plans and add-ons category.

It's not too dificult to use 1GB is less than 1 hour.  It really depends on what you were doing with your phone.  If you were watching videos, 1GB won'let last at all.  A device software update could use up a good chunk of that, or even app updates if they are set to automatically apply.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@noramarie wrote:

Hello! 

Thanks! 

Are you looking at your phone for data usage or are you looking at the self-serve? Did you get any texts from 611 (Public Mobile) that you were almost out of data?

@noramarie wrote:

i have not installed any new apps, ive even deleted 2 since switching to public (i dont have room for even some updates as i use my phone mostly for photos), i have the "restrict background data" feature turned on and i always have wifi enabled so when im home im on wifi. I must have apps running in the background then? 

Maybe Wi-Fi went down at one point and your phone started using Data instead. If you login into you account you can see when the majority of the data was used up using the usage history feature.

zork1984
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Do you watch videos?  If so, is it possible that some sites may have changed the default resolution and resulted in higher bandwidth requirements?

Also, do you tether your phone to a tablet?  The device using your phone is not aware that it is no cellular and may use up more data that if it is on cellular.

noramarie

i have a samsung galaxy s5 i believe, so it is older.

noramarie

i have not installed any new apps, ive even deleted 2 since switching to public (i dont have room for even some updates as i use my phone mostly for photos), i have the "restrict background data" feature turned on and i always have wifi enabled so when im home im on wifi. I must have apps running in the background then? 

emad
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

What phone do you have?

CellGirl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@noramarie 

Since you ported to public mobile, have you installed any additional apps on your phone, or are you using a different phone? Do you always have wifi enabled? I'm guessing you have many apps running in the background, using up mobile data (wifi disabled). And maybe your phone settings are allowing automatic updates to occur over mobile data, such as OS updates, appstore updates...

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@noramarie wrote:

Hello! 

Thanks! 

You can check on your phone data usage and see which app is the culprit.

Need Help? Let's chat.