cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Speed

michaelpowers87
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have an older plan, 90 day plan for $120 with 6gb data for the 3 months. 

Wondering what speed the data is? 3G or 4G? In the plan overview it doesn't specify. 

Not sure I should switch to the new $40 a month plan. 

16 REPLIES 16

smiley3
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Oh, I see, I was thinking it was 6GB per 30 days not for the full 90 days.  I guess it is a complicated decision then.  Well if 2GB a data per month meets your needs, then I wouldn't switch!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@smiley3 wrote:

Your on an older plan that was 4G LTE, now all the plans are only 3G.

I wouldn't switch.  You are getting more data on a faster data speed, at basically the same cost as the new plan.

@smiley3 incorrect. The 6GB of data they are getting is for the full 90 days, which is equivalent to approx 2GB for 30 days, for an equivalent of $40 for 30 days.

The current $40 plan, albeit at the slower data speed, gives 4.5 GB of throttled data:  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans/40for4500MB-3Gspeed which is the equivalent of about 13.5GB over 90 days, or well over double the data for the same price.  [Again, albeit at the slower speed.]

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

smiley3

Your on an older plan that was 4G LTE, now all the plans are only 3G.

I wouldn't switch.  You are getting more data on a faster data speed, at basically the same cost as the new plan.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

More on @geopublic's point about not needing take a speed test, the answer is in self-serve plan description:

How to tell data plan speed

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

killerofmusic
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@geopublic  True. I guess depends on what client you use for speed test. Yes you are right its way easier to just use the account.

@killerofmusic  Fast.com uses 90MB. My point is why use the speed test when you don't have to. When you access your selfserve if it doesn't show 3G next to your data plan details then it is full LTE.

Well for the same money op can get 15 gigs with autopay, if your usage is really increasing then it is logical to go for 40 plan. If you need large files downloaded, best to do it over WiFi

killerofmusic

@geopublic  Speed test uses less than 40 mb of data. Source: Google speed test.

killerofmusic

Just google internet speed test. take the test. If its above 3mbps. Then you have 4GLTE speed. Otherwise its 3G speed. As for downgrading. that depends on your usage. If you have a lot of usage. Then stick with your current. If you don't have a lot of usage then 3G speed works just fine. I can easily watch youtube 720HD on it. 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @michaelpowers87 

If you switch to 3g you may notice that your consumption will go down too. They optimize some content for download

https://www.publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Wireless_Video_Experience_Optimization.pdf 

Took may find that 1g is enough. Especially if you still have any of 1gig gift and 1 gig holiday gift left over. Try it, then if you see you are going over a lot, you know how easy it is to switch

Best luck

DOA

On my 3G speed plan, Fast.com used 20 MB of data.  It probably wouldn't put a serious dent in the OP's 6GB plan regardless of speed.

"

Try fast.com.

If it's around 3 Mbps, you have 3G.

If it's a lot faster, 4G."

@michaelpowers87  Not a good idea because since you are on full LTE speeds (4G) it's going to use a big chunk of you data.

DOA

Try fast.com.

If it's around 3 Mbps, you have 3G.

If it's a lot faster, 4G.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

FWIW...I used to have the same plan as you currently have. The data was at 4G.

I downgraded to the currently offered $25 plan with 500mb's + 500 mb's  at 3G speeds. I don't stream alot of content and find that the 3G speeds are very acceptable for my lifestyle. For my day-to-day use...no noticeable difference. I use wifi in my home so any heavy downloading can be done then.

It comes down to your own choice, I reckon. Good luck whatever you do.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Your 90 day plan should be 4G LTE.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@michaelpowers87 

If it doesn't say 3G then it's 4G.

Need Help? Let's chat.