cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Roll-Over

Habb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Finding other answers confusing so I will try to keep my question simple & specific.

I have a $15/month plan that includes 250 MB of data. Does this 250 roll-over if not used?

The reason I am asking this is that I use very little data (almost none) and my phone now shows data used for this period as 260MB. I have probably only used this much since joining Public 6 months ago and am trying to understand how I can be at 260 (whether for this period only or a total for 6 months) if my max/ month is 250?

8 REPLIES 8

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Habb wrote:

have probably only used this much since joining Public 6 months ago and am trying to understand how I can be at 260 (whether for this period only or a total for 6 months) if my max/ month is 250?

@Habb I'm willing to bet you're using an iPhone?  I'm not sure if it's still the case, but in the past, iOS would just keep counting until manually reset back to zero.  This would coincide with your guesstimate of having used that much data since changing providers.

EDIT: if that's the case, you could get into the habit of manually resetting after every renewal (every 30 days at noted by previous responders).  OR: just check your Public Mobile self-serve account online, since it is the only counter that actually matters in terms of your plan's data bucket.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Likely you counter on your phone is tracking monthly while PM is 30 days.

As most phones , if not all, can only track monthly usage, very likely you will need an app from the store to track the 30 days cycle.   On Android,  you can try Data Counter Widget.

@Habb

When was your renewal? It sounds like as already suggested that your phone is tracking your data monthly and its reading your current period as 31 days throwing off the tracker in your phone. You can reset the dates for 30 days which will update the amount used in your phone. However your phone does not distinguish between types of data so it may be reading your MMS data as well which pm uses a different server for and does not use your plan data. ( You only need your data enabled to use MMS.) Always refer to your data counter on your overview page in your account for an accurate read on your data usage.

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Maybe that 260MB is what's left of your holiday 1GB bonus? (the one we all got in December).

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@Habb wrote:

Finding other answers confusing so I will try to keep my question simple & specific.

I have a $15/month plan that includes 250 MB of data. Does this 250 roll-over if not used?

The reason I am asking this is that I use very little data (almost none) and my phone now shows data used for this period as 260MB. I have probably only used this much since joining Public 6 months ago and am trying to understand how I can be at 260 (whether for this period only or a total for 6 months) if my max/ month is 250?

Hi @Habb sorry to hear that other answers seem confusing to you.

Ok, I have the same $15 plan with 250mb data.  Every 30-day cycle renewal, you will get 250mb data as part of your plan. If you had any leftover data from last cycle, it will be gone.  After the 250mb is all used up, data will stop. You cannot go over the 250mb as Public Mobile plans are prepaid.

On the overview page, you will find My Data and Add-ons.  It says that if a feature is not listed there, it may have been fully consumed and no longer available.  It will not show 260mb used.

My data and addons.png

But if you were here during Christmas time, Public Mobile gave us free data and minutes.  Did you get them?  If you did, when your plan data of 250mb is gone, the free 2gb will kick in.  Ignore this is you did not get the Christmas freebies.

If you have any other questions, we are here to help.

RosieR

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Habb wrote:

@Habb 

Your device tracks your data by a set start and end date. You may modify that, if it allows.

But note, Public Mobile plans are 30 day not monthly. So if you don't want to adjust your phone settings each renewal find an app that track your data on a 30 day basis.

If you are an Android user try downloading the Data Witness app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iwik.datawitnesspm&hl=en_CA&gl=US

I use it, and it works great.

If you are Apple, I am sure there is an app that can track data by 30 day cycles as well.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Habb No your PLAN data of 250mb does not roll over if not used all up.

It replenishes to 250mb at each renewal.

Addons will roll over though.

EDIT: @Anonymous was quicker on the draw.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Habb : Plan features reset each term. No rollover. Add-ons "rollover" though. Are you seeing this number on the self-serve counter? Or in your phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.