cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Roaming within Canada

Elkay
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just got Public Mobile and live in a "remote area" .

All providers have spotty coverage here.

I was wondering if I left data roaming on if I would incur additional charges?

I know when I was on Rogers I could leave data roaming on and not get charged extra for data when other providers networks

4 REPLIES 4

audrar
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Like EdmondY mentioned, it usually the smaller carriers that charge extra when the bump you to a partner carrier (Koodo, Freedom Mobile etc.) That's because they don't have cell towers everywhere and rely on partner carriers to provide service to their clients. PM is owned by Telus, and therefore we use the Telus network. Since Telus has a very very broad range across Canada, you should have signal wherever Telus customers do. Additionally, with your plan, you will only receive the services you have purchased. So if you purchased data, you will receive data coverage no matter where you are as long as there is service. Coverage Network: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/coverage You can check what cellular towers in your area here: https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html Hope this helps and good luck!

EdmondY
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

While there are no unexpected charges from Public Mobile, I don't think you can domestically roam while on Public Mobile.  Domestic roaming or "DATA roaming within Canada" is usually known as extended coverage and happens when you can't get service from your own carrier so it uses another carrier at no extra charge to you. 

However, Public Mobile doesn't offer that and if you can't get coverage from the Telus network, you'll just get no service until you go to somewhere that does have service.  Koodo offers extended coverage should you migrate over to Koodo later on.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Elkay, You do not need to worry about extra charges with Public mobile.  Since this is a prepaid service, you pay first, and then get the service.  No unexpected charges.  As for DATA roaming within Canada, that is included at all times.  If you happen to wander into the USA, your data would simply stop unless you purchased a US roaming package.

Welcome to Public Mobile.

Need Help? Let's chat.