cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Only

danette77
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi, I don't have a public mobile account yet. All I need is a small monthly data plan and nothing else. Can I choose no talk, no text, no data and just get the 1gb data add on only, or do I have to subscribe to a data plan? 

24 REPLIES 24

rzhevskii2000
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Install TextNow app . It makes your phone operate just like a normal phone, it assigns you a real phone number according to the region you select.  And it doesn't only work on data, but on Wi-Fi as well, so if you're at a public place with free Wi-Fi consider your phone is free.  Texting and making phone calls will work.

rzhevskii2000

Install TextNow app and you will be happy.  This app makes your phone operate just like a normal phone, it assigns you a real phone number according to the region you select.  And it doesn't only work on data, but on Wi-Fi as well, so if you're at a public place with free Wi-Fi consider your phone is free.  The app can be installed on any tablet as well.  Texting and making phone calls.  Check it out!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@choia sounds like either a dream come true, or too good to be true!  As I'm not sure which one it is yet, we are anxiously awaiting your impressions.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

choia
@srlawren They told me it's not listed on the website yet because it just started today. It is a data-only plan (which on the website is only listed under tablet plans) but I confirmed with the representative that I was going to use it in my phone and they said no problem.

srlawren

@choia,

Is it the flex plans described here:  http://www.fido.ca/consumer/tablets.page ?

If so, those are great value indeed!  I'd be curious if they try to block anything like Fongo from running on those plans, or if it's wide open.  If truly wide open, that is one heck of a deal.  Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

I see that PM's 90 day 6GB data-only option (approx 2GB/month) is $84, which works out to $28.39 per calendar month.  Still not bad, but the flex plan at Fido sounds even better value.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

choia

@srlawren I just signed up for the plan to try for a month. $15 for 3G no charge for SIM card. I have loved PM's service and community but since my needs are data-only, and if Fido turns out to be a reliable network, unfortunately I will have to say goodbye to PM.

choia
Just found out about it today - Fido offering 3G for $15 tablet flex data plan but can be used in phones too - you can ask for SIM card fee to be waived too. Don't need to be a calling plan customer

srlawren

Hi @choia,

Great question.  I think that the answer, at least for the foreseeable future, is probalby not.  PM have positioned their plans to offer the best value to people that choose multiple services rather than just 1 (e.g. data only).  It appears this is the market segment they wish to attract right now, rather than data only users. 

Out of curiousity, what company(s) are offering $15/mo for 3GB of data?  Is that a standalone plan, or does it have to be attached to another existing talk/text/data plan, or are there other restrictions?  Do they have restricted zones (like Wind or I believe Chatr do)?  

choia
Will PM put out more competitive data-only plans? I have heard that some other companies on LTE networks have tablet plans as low as $15 per month for 3G of data? Renewable month to month?

jairolevi
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@danette77 wrote:

@SimonC

If you just want a data only plan, I call and text over data with the nextplus app. It works with data or wi fi and you can get it for both android or iphone, just do a google search. Texting is free and calling minutes are really cheap so if you don't do a lot of calling it's the perfect solution. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OR, you could have a dual SIM phone ( Like me ) and get a Speakout SIM, you put $10 bucks on it and it doesnt expire in one YEAR.
I get my Data from a Data only plan from PM.  There are cheaper prepaid data only plans around if you google them, but none of them are LTE ( PM is LTE and that is why I chose PM )
LTE is kinda important if you are using voip apps like Fongo, Voip.ms, Texplus, nextplus, whatsapp calls etc.  ( I have tried them all lol)

Thank you, 

JL

nhanken
Calling is free with Fongo as well as receiving text messages. You would only need to pay $2.99 monthly if you want to be able to send out text messages.

@danette77 wrote:
Actually Nextplus does offer Canadian phone numbers, I know because I have one 🙂 They have Canadian numbers for all provinces 

Wow - I never knew that! Thanks for the information, @danette77!

Kdawg

Welcome to the community!

danette77

I want to give you a thumbs up! Just signed up for a data only plan. Setup was pretty straight forward with a quick search on the pm community forum and all is working well! Yay!  

danette77

@7789849803 wrote:

Thanks for the Nextplus suggestion, @danette77. Just to add to your comments, I would like to mention that Nextplus is a US-based app that does not offer Canadian phone numbers.

Fongo is an app that several on this community (myself included) have been using for a while for texting and calling, and it does offer Canadian phone numbers.

Actually Nextplus does offer Canadian phone numbers, I know because I have one 🙂 They have Canadian numbers for all provinces 

Thanks for the Nextplus suggestion, @danette77. Just to add to your comments, I would like to mention that Nextplus is a US-based app that does not offer Canadian phone numbers.

Fongo is an app that several on this community (myself included) have been using for a while for texting and calling, and it does offer Canadian phone numbers.

danette77

@SimonC wrote:

If I have a 1GB data only plan for $30, can I still make and receive calls and send and receive texts, eg. like a pre-paid plan?

Thanks

@SimonC

If you just want a data only plan, I call and text over data with the nextplus app. It works with data or wi fi and you can get it for both android or iphone, just do a google search. Texting is free and calling minutes are really cheap so if you don't do a lot of calling it's the perfect solution. 

Kalla_A
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @SimonC,

To be able to make calls and send texts, you would need to have the calls/texts features on your plan. 

If you choose a 30 days plan with only data, then you will not be able to send/receive texts nor make/receive calls. Only your data will be functional.

Cheers,

Kalla

SimonC
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If I have a 1GB data only plan for $30, can I still make and receive calls and send and receive texts, eg. like a pre-paid plan?

Thanks

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @danette77,

Welcome to our Community 🙂

As @srlawren mentioned, you must have an active rate plan in order to add an add-on to your account.

Per example: You can select a 30 days length plan and choose to only add a 1GB of data, which comes up to a total of $30. This is the same cost, as if you would choose a 1GB of data add on. 

I hope this answers to your question. 

If ever you need any kind of assistance with the activation process, do not hesitate to let us know 🙂

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

danette77

Ok, thanks for the info 

srlawren

Hi @danette77, welcome to the community.  Unfortunately, you must select at least one of talk, text, or data, when choosing a plan.  So, in your case, you would have to choose a data-only plan.  

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Yes you definately can pick only data for 10, 30 or 90 days. 

FYI 4 GB on 90 days = ~1.33 GB per 30 days. 

EDIT: Sorry, didnt realize you are asking about the add-on. Out staff will have to confirm this info unless someone already knows. 

@Shazia_K @Kalla_A @Jeremy_M

Need Help? Let's chat.