cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Not Working

Ferlea
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi Guys,

I just started with Public Mobile 1 month ago and LOVE it! I even just recommended it to a friend! We both got the complimentary 1GB data (me for referring him, and he for beginning a new plan with PM).

We have Vancouver numbers although we live on Vancouver Island, because there were no phone numbers available for our town. But our calling/texting works because it is BC wide.

Is it possible our data would only work in Vancouver if we got a 778 area code number? Is that why our data is not working? Or do we have to activate it in a special way on our phone? Here in my account I see that my data is indeed activated... can someone help? THANKS!!!!!

28 REPLIES 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

With technology, anything is possible.  If you feel the problem is not from your end, send a private message to the moderators team.  They could maybe check things at the accound level to make sure there is nothing going on there.  However, if it is only specific people, then not likely something at network level.

on2wheels

No I dont have anyone blocked. I wonder how likely it's my hardware that the problem, I don't know how common it is for sms to be intermittent due to a flaky phone and not the cell service.

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@on2wheels, I really don't think that removing extra APN settings will have any impact on your texting problem.  Any Chance you have some sort of filter/block on that contact's number?

on2wheels

No I've never had an iphone, I forgot to add that, but yes one of the most affected people is using iphone. I'll give it a few more days and start shopping for a new phone I guess.

edit: wait a sec, in teh list of APNs in my phone, should I delete the other two?  my friends said they did not recieve the texts I sent last night.

matbasm

@on2wheels, you mentioned that SMS with pictures from certain contacts would not come through.  Any chance those contacts are on iPhones?  Any chance you previously had an iPhone.  I know there is something with the iPhones that remembers if a contact has an iPhone, and tries to send messages a iMessages, or something like that.  If that's the case, you can de-register your number from Apples iPhone database.  I don't know the URL/link, but it should be easy to find if that's your situation.

on2wheels

Thankyou for that, I added the one for my phone, and eventually the data icon appeared in my notification area, so I sent a few texts with pictures, and did not recieve a reply or confirmation from anyone until hours later, and only after I sent a test picture to my own number which did come back in the same message.

I've been troubleshooting a SMS issue with this phone since last June when Rogers first added data to my plan, some sms from certain contacts would rarely come thru, and it became so random I didn't know to trust Rogers or my phone. It's what finally prompted me to change providers. 

The other thing is a pwer save mode that disables networks when the phone sleeps, and i know it disables data but usually I'd least get an empty picture sms that had a download link in it, then I'd know to turn my data on to recieve it.  I've turned off that deep power saving mode for tonight and will test it for the weekend.

So now I'm thinking there really could be an issue with this phone, unless someone has other suggestions.

wrote:

I hope this qualifies to post here but my plan was activated last night and I'M 90% sure my data was working last night, today it wont,and my APNs are 

sp.koodo.com

sp.telus.com

I'm using an ASUS Zenfone 2 on Android 6.0.1

What do I check?

The above access points in your last post won't work.  For Public Mobile, you should be using sp.mb.com

matbasm

@on2wheels, This is a direct link to info for the Zen 2 Plus on Public Mobile.  Not sure what flavour of Zen 2 you have.  https://apn-canada.gishan.net/settings/1168_15_public_mobile_apn_settings_for_asus_zenfone_2_deluxe....

matbasm

Hi @on2wheels, please refer to https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Setting-up-Data-APN-on-your-phone/ta-p....  It should have all of the info you need regarding APN settings.

Also, for future reference, you should always start a new topic for a new question/issiue.  That way you'll get the fastest response.

Write back if that doesn't help.

on2wheels

I hope this qualifies to post here but my plan was activated last night and I'M 90% sure my data was working last night, today it wont,and my APNs are 

sp.koodo.com

sp.telus.com

I'm using an ASUS Zenfone 2 on Android 6.0.1

What do I check?

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

You should have an option for creating a new apn.  Make sure you enter the info exactly as you see in the instructions.

Ferlea

On the acer, there are only two APNS (I can't manually put it in) - the options are "TELUS" and "TELUS ISP" - i guess it's just TELUS then? thanks!

mimmo

iPhone 4 you need to go to a website to enter the Apn setting, can't remember the site.

For the acer try doing a network reset then try putting in the Apn a second time.

Ferlea

Hmmm. Ok - I checked the network settings though - and all was correct as per PM's requirements. I am using an iphone 4, and my husband has a Acer Liquid Zest and we both have 1GB add ons with no base data. Does anyone know why data is still not working?

THANKS!

mimmo

@ShawnC13 beat me by 10 seconds.  

mimmo

@Ferlea who ever informed you about needing base data is incorrect.  The official announcement specifically states plans with no data get LTE speed.

@Ferlea wrote:

I didn't have base data. I was notified that I must purchase a base plan in order to use the 1GB bonus. Is that 1GB monthly, or one time only? Thanks!

@Ferlea, who notified you that you needed to purchase a base data plan?  They are incorrect as below I will post how the Bonus data was explained by @Jeremy_M

Bonus.PNG

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Ferlea

I didn't have base data. I was notified that I must purchase a base plan in order to use the 1GB bonus. Is that 1GB monthly, or one time only? Thanks!

Ferlea

I added that bonus over 72 hours ago. Another support thread revealed that one needs base data on their plan to use the 1GB. So I will get 500mb on my next renewal to see if the 1GB bonus works.

@Ferlea, you will not lose the BONUS data.  It does take up to 72 hours to have it applied when did your friend sign up as it could still be in the process of being added

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Ferlea

Thanks for that.

Is it OK that I just added 500mb to test it out?

Or do I loose that 1GB add on if I modify the base plan?

THANKS!

Ferlea

Thanks Luddte!

So I had no data before, I guess that was the problem? I just went to add 500mb on my next renewal date (on Nov.22) - will I loose the 1GB reward if I modified my base plan? Or do those GB rewards stick no matter what I do month to month with the base plans?

THANKS

closng

Hi @Ferlea,

Does your current plan have data? As @Luddite mentioned, if you already have data on the current plan that you have subscribed to, the 1GB add-on will not get used until the data from your plan is used up for the period.

@mimmo wrote:

Most likely an APN setting, next could be phone incompatability.

My impression is that the phones works for calling/texting so it must, at least, have 3G connection for data?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Ferlea 

a) Your data is available across Canada.

b) Data add-ons are used after your base plan data. What plan did you activate?

c) Be sure that cellular data is ON and that APN settings are correct Public Mobile.

If you are still having problems, what is make/model of your phone.

Also, you have posted to an old thread. In future you will have more assurance of help by creating your own topic on the forum  (which I have done for you today), or sending a private message directly to the moderators for account issues.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mimmo

Most likely an APN setting, next could be phone incompatability.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Ferlea,   Area code has nothing to do with it as there is 778 on the island as well.  I am in Victoria and we have a lot of them here.  Also there is a new one I believe it is 236.  Has your data ever worked?  What provider are you and your friend coming from??  If you can give a bit more info we might be able to provide a more focused answer.  To start off I would go to the link in this thread https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Network-compatibility-and-APN-setting... and verify the APN settings on the phone.

Ferlea

Hi! I just got a 1GB data reward, but it is not working on my phone (I got it 5 days ago and it is listed as activated on my account).

Is it possible that data would not work if I am living in a smaller town - I had to take a Vancouver number, although not living in Vancouver - because there are no numbers available for my smaller city.... does data work as roaming? Or do you have to purchase a province wide roaming option?

Thanks

Need Help? Let's chat.