cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Not Adding Up

sonichippie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Got a notification that I’ve used 75% of my data. My plan just renewed on April 20 and haven’t been anywhere except work and home so was surprised.  When I check the summary it says I’ve used 5103 MB of 6164 MB but when I check usage history it only adds up to about 3330 MB used. Can anyone explain or help me with this? Thanks. 

7 REPLIES 7

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@sonichippie wrote:

Got a notification that I’ve used 75% of my data. My plan just renewed on April 20 and haven’t been anywhere except work and home so was surprised.  When I check the summary it says I’ve used 5103 MB of 6164 MB but when I check usage history it only adds up to about 3330 MB used. Can anyone explain or help me with this? Thanks. 

@sonichippie  Use the built-in data usage app on your device. Just make sure your enter your plans start date as the start date. Is the mobile data usage 5 or 3 GB?  If it's closer to 3 GB then submit a ticket to PM and ask them to check if your data counter was reset. If it's 5 GB then check your phone's apps and identify the apps that are using the most data.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Make sure you turn off auto updates for apps and GPS.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

@sonichippie 

As an add note to @mpcdesign comment go thru your apps data usage to see what's used up your data...and turn off the background data on almost all of them. Just leave the OS and a couple that work with the OS. The rest don't need to be on.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@sonichippie, another thing is if you have the data left on in the background of your cell phone. That game that you were playing while waiting in line at Costco. Suddenly the lines move in quickly and before you know it was your turn to go in. You just shoved the phone in your pocket and off you go shopping. 

Guess what, that game or even app is eating data in the background. Does an app need an update, and you have automatic updates in the background, that's right, it eats your data like there is no tomorrow. Even flipping the data on for 30 seconds, and data can be gobbled up and use 250mb just like that (it happened to me, btw!).

Always turn off data, to prevent any accidental data usage. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@sonichippie maybe its your data add-on? does data add-ons tell you how much you have left?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sonichippie wrote:

There have been sporadic reports over time of the data counter not getting reset at renewal.

Are you looking at the self-serve front page counter? Or your phone? Also, the usage details have a delay in reporting. The counter is pretty live. But who knows. Maybe the phone did a crap load o' updates this past week.

You would need to contact the moderators to get them to reset the counter.

Edit: ninja'd when I finally got around to posting. figures 🙂

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@sonichippie The counter on the overview page is pretty accurate. It is hard to calculate the usage from the history page as it is divided into multiple pages. I would match the data count with the usage shown in your phone data settings. Try to use an app for data usage tracking. If you still think there is something wrong, start a conversation with Simon (chat bot) by clicking HERE to submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. They might be able to help.

Need Help? Let's chat.