cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Leakage

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

HI. I am wondering why my Data keeps going up and down? I do have Cellular OFF, All Apps OFF that are within the Cellular ON/OFF switch and I have BackGround Apps being refreshed over WIFI (not WIFI and DATA). 

So here is what I am seeing when I log on to my PM account. 

September 16 8:40PM --------5.313mb used

September 17 8:00AM --------.021mb used

September 17 9:55AM --------5.313mb used

September 17 5:26PM --------.021mb used

September 17 6:54PM --------.021mb used

September 18 11:34AN --------5.313mb used

September 18 8:40PM --------5.315mb used

September 18 3:19PM --------.022mb used

20 REPLIES 20

88cranston

Thanks I got it!  Its a quirk and once I get used to it...it is no big deal. 

Thank You all. 

@Anonymous wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@88cranston wrote:

Ok but just to say....my cellular switch has been off and has stayed off for the past 2 days. 

I've noticed that too on an account that is really only used for calling.  The data has been turned off, but I notice that the 1GB free data in the account still seems to show this 5mb ghost data.  Sometimes it will show negative data too.  Not too concerned myself, but not sure why any data would be used if the phone data is disabled. 

I think you shouldn't be too concerned though because this buffering data event is fairly routine and isn't accumulative.

Other than the tiny amount that gets used when data is turned on. Possibly even wifi assist but I don't know. Can't be bothered to test that...I would never have that setting on.

Actually this is on a flip phone, both wifi and data have been disabled, but the account still shows the nominal usage.  Like I said I'm not concerned don't understand why anything would be used.  Just curious that's all.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dabr wrote:

@88cranston wrote:

Ok but just to say....my cellular switch has been off and has stayed off for the past 2 days. 

I've noticed that too on an account that is really only used for calling.  The data has been turned off, but I notice that the 1GB free data in the account still seems to show this 5mb ghost data.  Sometimes it will show negative data too.  Not too concerned myself, but not sure why any data would be used if the phone data is disabled. 

I think you shouldn't be too concerned though because this buffering data event is fairly routine and isn't accumulative.

Other than the tiny amount that gets used when data is turned on. Possibly even wifi assist but I don't know. Can't be bothered to test that...I would never have that setting on.

@88cranston wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@88cranston wrote:

Account online or on my phone screen while in settings cellular?

I wrote all those steps so you could see for yourself what I mean and what the system does.

I'm not interested in what your phone says. Only the overview page counter.

88cranston

88cranston

Account online or on my phone screen while in settings cellular?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@88cranston wrote:

Ok I hear you.  But when this happened at Telus as phone is in same status I was charged $5.x two times for Data and never refunded. 

No extra charges here. Just that little bit of consumption out of your data bucket. Then eventually your bucket will empty and data will stop.

88cranston

Ok I hear you.  But when this happened at Telus as phone is in same status I was charged $5.x two times for Data and never refunded. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@88cranston wrote:

Dont see anything different. 

Ok.

geopublic put it succinctly and GinYVR added to it.

The difference from start to data on will always be 5.293MB.

Then when you reset it off again it will go back to a much smaller amount that the phone really actually used.

88cranston

Yes is has always and still is off off. 

88cranston

Ok that sounds like a logical quirk to Data. I have never used Data in my life time. But the thing is everything has been turned off. Cellular, Wifi Assist, and Refresh Background Apps. Yet when I log into my account I see usage of .02X or 5.31x

88cranston

Dont see anything different. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@geopublic wrote:

@88cranstonAs data is turned on you will use 5mb of (Ghost) data even if you don't do anything this is returned an hour or so later or after you reboot your phone this is normal.

Minus a small amount that the phone actually uses.

@88cranstonEverytime you turn on data there is a fair bit of background handshaking and communications that go on. There isn't much you can do.

DL888

On the iPhone there is something call wifi assist, I believe this uses cellular data when wifi signal is poor. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@88cranstonAs data is turned on you will use 5mb of (Ghost) data even if you don't do anything this is returned an hour or so later or after you reboot your phone this is normal.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@88cranston wrote:

The dates, times, and amounts are from MY Account on PM. Looking on the main page. The amount used keeps differing. I have an iPhone so not sure if your routine can be done. 

You have a cell data slider and you have an airplane mode slider. I WANT you to be looking at your account. The overview page counter further down in the data & add-ons.

88cranston

The dates, times, and amounts are from MY Account on PM. Looking on the main page. The amount used keeps differing. I have an iPhone so not sure if your routine can be done. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@88cranston wrote:

HI. I am wondering why my Data keeps going up and down? I do have Cellular OFF, All Apps OFF that are within the Cellular ON/OFF switch and I have BackGround Apps being refreshed over WIFI (not WIFI and DATA). 

So here is what I am seeing when I log on to my PM account. 

September 17 8:00AM --------.021mb used

September 17 9:55AM --------5.313mb used

September 17 5:26PM --------.021mb used

September 17 6:54PM --------.021mb used

September 18 11:34AN --------5.313mb used

September 18 8:40PM --------5.315mb used

September 18 3:19PM --------.022mb used

.21 is the tiny but of usage that the phone uses for whatever tiny purpose. The 5.3-odd is the additional amount that a buffer of data takes. Then you see it returns back to a real quantity.

Try this

Data off. Flip in and out of airplane mode.

Open up your overview page.

Check your data counter

Turn on data.

Check your data counter

Turn off data

Check your data counter

Flip in to airplane mode

Check your data counter

Flip out of data mode (to return to normal)

You'll see that the difference in the counter should always come to about 5.293MB

Then it'll return it back to your real actual consumption. A smartphone will pretty much always take some data just to connect.

Need Help? Let's chat.