cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Add-On to an expiring plan, what happens?

MStanlake
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I use a data only plan for my iPad + Cellular when travelling.  I get the 1GB LTE data for $30 for 30 days.  I currently have 10 days left in my plan but I am almost out of data.  If I purchase another 1 GB of LTE data for $30 and don't use it all, (say I use half and have 500MB left over), the info on the Add-ON page says it rolls over to my next plan.

Question 1: Does that mean I have to buy a new 1GB $30-30day plan to access that left over 500MB.

Question 2: If I skip a couple of months and don't have a plan at all untill our next motor home trip will the 500MB be waiting there for me?

Question 3: If I do buy another 1GB LTE $30-30 day plan, does that mean I will have 1 GB of data that will expire after 30 days and 500MB that won't, and which bank of data is used first?

Thanks.

Mike

4 REPLIES 4

@MStanlake wrote:

My plan is Data Only, I have no number to lose so why would my plan expire in 90 days?

Would I need to create a whole new account, and re activate my SIM card?

Accounts with data only plans still have phone numbers.  You are still subject to the Public Mobile terms of service. Any account that doesn't have an active plan for 90 days will be closed permanently.

Yes, if that happens, you will need to open a new account.  You would need a new sim card as you would not be able to reuse the old one.

MStanlake
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My plan is Data Only, I have no number to lose so why would my plan expire in 90 days?

Would I need to create a whole new account, and re activate my SIM card?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MStanlake wrote:

I use a data only plan for my iPad + Cellular when travelling.  I get the 1GB LTE data for $30 for 30 days.  I currently have 10 days left in my plan but I am almost out of data.  If I purchase another 1 GB of LTE data for $30 and don't use it all, (say I use half and have 500MB left over), the info on the Add-ON page says it rolls over to my next plan.

Question 1: Does that mean I have to buy a new 1GB $30-30day plan to access that left over 500MB.

Question 2: If I skip a couple of months and don't have a plan at all untill our next motor home trip will the 500MB be waiting there for me?

Question 3: If I do buy another 1GB LTE $30-30 day plan, does that mean I will have 1 GB of data that will expire after 30 days and 500MB that won't, and which bank of data is used first?

Thanks.

Mike

How about looking at it this way.

You buy a base plan and use it each month. If you use up what you pre-pay for then it stops. You can renew early with assistance from the moderators here or change to a different plan or buy add-ons to tie you over until you renew the base plan.

If you let the base plan suspend then you can't do anything with the service. Re-pay to renew the base plan before 90 days or everything about the account dies.

Add-ons are a buy once and consume over time deal.

Edit: Data will draw from the base plan data before going to any add-on data. When the base plan renews it will return to using the base plan data, leaving the balance remaining in the add-on data until the next time it's needed.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

Yes, you need to buy a new 1 GB $30 plan to access the left over data add on.

Yes, as long as the time is not over 90 days. Over 90 days, your account is terminated and your number is lost as well as your data add on.

Your 30 day plan data will be used first before your data add on

Need Help? Let's chat.