cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data 3G vs 4G

Karyathena
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello, I don't do much with my data, surf the net, use apps like uber (no Facebook, twitter, etc, nothing that updates and refreshes) and I like to send and receive photos a few times a week. Is 3G enough for this? I just joined yesterday, so I guess I will see, but not sure how I can tell.

Thank you 🙂 

7 REPLIES 7

@Karyathena wrote:

Ok, so I should leave data on all the time? I've been leaving it off.

Thank you 🙂 

You can set sync features to control data usage.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Karyathena wrote:

Thank you 🙂 

Set the phone to only update the OS and apps when on wifi. Set each app that you wish to allow to automatically sync and turn off those you don't.

Then you could leave data on.

@Karyathena 

@Karyathena wrote:

Thank you 🙂 

Most people just leave the data on.  However, if you are on a very limited data plan, you may want to turn it on/off when you need it.  Really up to you.  

Karyathena
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thank you 🙂 

rfg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My phone almost always shows a 4G connection, but a speed test reveals that the connection is throttled down to 3G speed (mine is about 2.5 - 4 Mbps).  This is a perfectly reasonable speed for browsing websites and using apps like Twitter, Facebook, etc.  I've even tested VoIP apps like Fongo and Skype (didn't test video calls though as I don't want to burn through all my data), and I haven't experienced any issues with the speed provided.

I think the 3G speed will be fine for the type of things most users would be running on their phones.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

4G speeds are more noticeable when you stream 4K video so there is little to no delay.  For general internet usuage 3G should be sufficient.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Karyathena  it will be more than enough for what you do with it.  You can set your phone to be on lte and it will still work good for data and it will go to 3g by itself to make or receive calls

Need Help? Let's chat.