cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Created new account - Questions about changing plan

ToastNaut
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just created a new account with PM, porting my existing number. 

The change hasn't  yet gone through, nor have I been charged as of yet, but I am a touch frustrated and concerned about the following situation, which leads to my question.

The first step of account creation has you check that  your device is compatible with PM's network, in my case my Nokia 6.1, which comes up as compatible.

I selected my plan and details, finished everything, and the last step directs you to a page to help with APN settings, where you select your device and network and it gives you manual APN settings (I assume) in case your phone doesn't update automatically with the correct ones.

It is at this point that I learned that apparently my Nokia 6.1 does not support PM's LTE network frequency.

I've searched the forums here and found some suggestions that it should actually work with PM's LTE signal. If this is the case, everything is fine, however if this is not the case, am I going to lose the cost of the plan I have already paid for if I have to switch to a lesser plan in order to actually use data with my account?

I understand how to change plans, but I'm nervous that if I have to, I will have to pay again for a different plan, losing the entire cost of 90 days of LTE which I've already set up.

Thanks for any help.

11 REPLIES 11

naluukti

So Nokia 6.1 - does work with Public Mobile/is good choice for buying used? It's not on the list of options when checking compatability, and it would be very helpful to know!

@ToastNaut wrote:

Thanks all above for the help and opinions.

My SIM has finally activated and the information online about compatibility is incorrect, I have 4G.

Hopefully this thread can be of help to anyone else trying to set up a new account with similar situation.

Thank you so much for letting us know

These little final closing notes are so helpful.

ToastNaut

Thanks all above for the help and opinions.

My SIM has finally activated and the information online about compatibility is incorrect, I have 4G.

Hopefully this thread can be of help to anyone else trying to set up a new account with similar situation.

ToastNaut

@kselmak Thank you that is very helpful. From that thread, it looks like it may be worth just staying on the LTE, on the basis that it'll give me unthrottled (or less throttled) 4G or something to that effect? 
I personally do not totally understand how this is all set up, myself... I have read all over that PM's 3G plans are just throttled LTE, and that makes reasonable sense, however how my phone is compatible with one but not the other, when the device itself IS compatible with 4G or faster (I have used faster connections overseas with no issue) but not through PM... when the slower connection does work (even though the slower connection is just the same frequency, just throttled) is baffling.

I'm really not qualified to answer, but I found a similar problem here in community and from the question itself and thethe discuss that followsfol looks like you'll be able to use 3g and if not you'll be able to contact the support to resolve (which may make sense as you would get more days for the same money). You can check here

ToastNaut

Yeah, definitely. I am not overly concerned about the difference between 4G and 3G at the end of the day, just concerned about possible need to change my plan the instant it is active and associated costs. 🙂
I don't really understand why my phone should work on the 3G but not the 4G network, and if the case is that I pay for one billing term for 4G but get 3G speed, not the end of the world.

If the number ports and SIM finally activates and I find that I have no data, I'll be frustrated and the original question is really just whether I should be able to apply credit paid towards a plan that works, should this occur, or whether I'll have to pay again for a second plan.

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ToastNaut , this is somewhat related.  In my opinion, 4G LTE is not absolutely necessary.  A lot of people that are signing up with Public Mobile are going for the "3G" (actually LTE that is throttled, but latency of LTE) plans because they offer the best value.  As well, we're coming from 4G LTE plans with other carriers, so the speed is fine.  Unless you gaming on your phone, streaming full HD videos, or need to transfer large files, the "3G" plans are fine.  My $0.02.

ToastNaut

I have a Nokia 6.1 (6 2018)

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@ToastNaut wrote:

I just created a new account with PM, porting my existing number. 

The change hasn't  yet gone through, nor have I been charged as of yet, but I am a touch frustrated and concerned about the following situation, which leads to my question.

The first step of account creation has you check that  your device is compatible with PM's network, in my case my Nokia 6.1, which comes up as compatible.

I selected my plan and details, finished everything, and the last step directs you to a page to help with APN settings, where you select your device and network and it gives you manual APN settings (I assume) in case your phone doesn't update automatically with the correct ones.

It is at this point that I learned that apparently my Nokia 6.1 does not support PM's LTE network frequency.

I've searched the forums here and found some suggestions that it should actually work with PM's LTE signal. If this is the case, everything is fine, however if this is not the case, am I going to lose the cost of the plan I have already paid for if I have to switch to a lesser plan in order to actually use data with my account?

I understand how to change plans, but I'm nervous that if I have to, I will have to pay again for a different plan, losing the entire cost of 90 days of LTE which I've already set up.

Thanks for any help.

Which model Nokia are you planning to use ?

ToastNaut

Thank you for the reply. I realise I will be able to connect to the network, my concern is that I am now paying for 4G data, and if that isn't functional, I will have to swap to a different plan with only 3G data (not a big deal in and of itself,) but I am concerned that if this is the case, I will have to pay for another plan to get a less expensive option just because the data I have paid for may not work.

I hope that question is clearer. 
This is most frustrating because I am switching to PM specifically because I am tired of being on a data-less pay as you go and wanted a (relatively) affordable data plan, and PM seems to meet that need.

[EDIT:]

If the compatability issue just means that I have paid for 4G but can only use 3G for the first 90 days of my plan, it's not the end of the world, aside from wasting some of my money, since the LTE is more expensive. I don't like it, if that's the case, but not as bad as if it just won't let me use the LTE data and I have to swap to a different plan immediately to have data funcitonality.

@ToastNaut 

LTE compatibility is not required to use Public Mobile's service.  3g netowrk compatibility is far more important as it can be used for both voice and data.  Also, 3g network compatiblity is required to make and receive phone calls at Public Mobile.

Need Help? Let's chat.